Lightning

Boost bypass and KB blower

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost bypass and KB blower

I was trying to get rid of some of the vacuum lines and solenoids I don't need under the hood. So, I took out the boost bypass solenoid thing and plugged the bottom black vacuum hose and attached the top black hose to the vacuum lead for the actuator on the blower. It seems to be running good. The top black vacuum lines goes to the upper intake plenum and the lower goes to some type of plastic box behind the battery box.

Any comments if this was a bad thing to do or not?

Old 05-28-2003, 02:27 PM
I guess I will need to see a pic of what the H you did. I have the same boost bipass kit I have had on for 2 years. When I installed the KB I just left it like that. I figure those vacuum lines and solenoids are there for a reason.

Old 05-28-2003, 02:31 PM
I don't have a camera available today, sorry. I don't have any sensors on the driver side mount which attaches to the supercharger base except the barometric pressure sensor and my nitrous safety switch which is throttle activated.

Old 05-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Smile

easter
I've had mine set up like that for a long time or at least close to that. I found out I could get the valve to close quicker if I just plugged it into the upper manifold. I drilled and tapped a hole right behind the throttle body and ran a short piece of 7/32 ID rubber hose to the boost bypass valve direct. When you open the throttle the valve closes a bit quicker. One of these days I'm going to drag race it with thte valve unplugged altogether. When you unplug it and play with the throttle it sure seems to rev quicker.
Worth a try
Dale

Old 05-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Blower discharge temps went up 50° at idle to around 200° when I disconnected the vacuum hose just for a minute. It does seem to build boost really quick.

Old 05-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leonard, run the line for your bypass tee'd off the same line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator. You want a source that sees vaccum (to pull the bypass open) and boost (to hold the bypass closed under boost).

Old 05-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Okay, I'll try your idea Sal. I get 21 in.Hg under the intake and 24 in.Hg vacuum at the intake plenum at idle so it should take less time for the plate to close also.

Quick Reply: Boost bypass and KB blower