Lightning

Need maintenance tips on what should be done to my truck before my S.C. road trip..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003 | 06:18 PM
|
Question Need maintenance tips on what should be done to my truck before my S.C. road trip..

Me and some buddies have planned a road trip to S.C. next month for some big car show in Myrtle beach...My L is long over due for a few maintainance services.. I've already changed my plugs and plan on changing my oil right before I leave.. What I came up with so far is, fuel filter, fuel flush, radiator/intercooler coolant flush, transmission fluid/ differential change.. Can anyone give me some other ideas to catch my L up to date on maintenance? my truck has 76,000 miles and the last time i had all of this done was when I was at 45,000 miles but haven't had any problems since..I just want to keep the the truck as healthy as possible being it's gotten so old ..

BTW...I've been using Mobil 1 5W 30 synthetic oil...Is it time to give the good ole synthetic a rest and change to a different viscosity?

I really appreciate the help

Old 06-17-2003 | 07:32 PM
front end inspection....

cheap *** tie rod ends may need replacing.

Old 06-17-2003 | 07:40 PM
check your spare make sure its in good condition etc. And make sure all your spare changing stuff is in good condition as well.

My alternator died, and while i wait for my new one to arrive, its a pain driving around without one. Its easy to remove, and free to check at an autozone or something, might be worth it, i wish i had, and im not even on a road trip. While your there, check you battery, its easy to do as well.

As for maintainance it sounds like you got it decently covered. Just take a tool kit with you incase you need to do some quick work, mine has come in handy more than once.

Its not too big of an issue, but while your doing all this work, might not hurt to check your brakes.

Sorry thats all i can come up with.

Old 06-17-2003 | 07:59 PM
|
THANKS GRINOMYTE,

THAT WAS SOME VERY HELPFUL INFO.. I FORG0T TO MENTION THAT I JUST HAD MY BRAKES DONE ALSO..I'LL HAVE MY ALTERNATOR AND BATTERY CHECKED ALSO BEFORE I LEAVE.. WONDER IF I NEED TO PURCHASE ONE OF THOSE BUG NETS FOR THE FRONT ...

Old 06-17-2003 | 08:13 PM
No, bug nets tend to scratch your truck more than the bugs would. The nets tend to "vibrate/move" when the wind hits them, causing them to rub your finish.

Old 06-17-2003 | 08:15 PM
I second that, just let em splat.

Just clean up when you get home. Ive also heard it somewhere that some polish or wax makes em unable to stick or something similar, i cant remember where i heard that tho.

Old 06-17-2003 | 08:39 PM
Have we forgotten the most common problems?
Check your plugs! They come loose
Definatly check the spare winch to

Old 06-17-2003 | 09:41 PM
When are you going to Myrtle Beach? It's only about an hour away from me.

Matt

Old 06-17-2003 | 09:50 PM
Re: Need maintenance tips on what should be done to my truck before my S.C. road trip..

Originally posted by Rayden's cloud
I've already changed my plugs and plan on changing my oil right before I leave.. What I came up with so far is, fuel filter, fuel flush, radiator/intercooler coolant flush, transmission fluid/ differential change..
I have a 99' with 89200miles.
Thats the same stuff I am gonna get done. I am taking the Lightning to Mexico and I do not want it mess up, you know?

+
Intercooler cleaned
Pads and rotors inspected
Alternator and battery inspected
Fuel pump inspected
Maybe a brake fluid change

I cannot think of anything else either man.

Old 06-18-2003 | 12:39 AM
Spray the front of the truck with PAM. It keeps the bugs from sticking and makes for an easy wash when you get to where your going

Old 06-18-2003 | 05:38 AM
|
Originally posted by Fast Gator
Spray the front of the truck with PAM. It keeps the bugs from sticking and makes for an easy wash when you get to where your going
You gotta be kidding me..

Old 06-18-2003 | 05:42 AM
|
Originally posted by illegalspeeds
When are you going to Myrtle Beach? It's only about an hour away from me.

Matt
Hey Matt we're leaving on the 24th of July and expected to get there 9 ish or 10 that thursday night..We'll be there until Sunday...Me and three other guys with Lightnings and 13 mustangs are going...If anyone else In Ga. wanna trail us down there let me know..THey are having a big event there and we are going to the track for some times...

Take care..

Lay..

Old 06-18-2003 | 07:35 AM
Welll the only thing I do not here being mentioned is cheching the hoses and belts and maybe bringing extra belts and a hose repair kit.
Also a quart of oil and ATF, just in case.

VINNIE

Old 06-18-2003 | 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
Yup, I've heard the PAM thing works well....

Old 06-18-2003 | 09:30 AM
What is a fuel flush?

I figure a sub 12 second run down the 1/4 mile would suck out anything in the fuel lines.

Quick Reply: Need maintenance tips on what should be done to my truck before my S.C. road trip..