Lightning

Warning To Ford Dealers About " Chips/Hi Po Parts "

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003 | 02:48 PM
I don't see this as a problem...

In fact, I see it as a positive defense against "arbitrary voiding of warranty" - the typical uneducated response of a service employee not familiar with the law. The memo is very clear that the modifications must have "CAUSED" the failure for their to be a warranty denial.

So, in other words, when you take your truck in for cruise control service, they can't deny you coverage for the N2O system... OTOH, if you come in for service needing new rods, and have a chip connected - Ford is well within their rights to terminate your powertrain warranty as pertains to the failures in the powertrain - NOT the remaining bumper to bumper warranty as pertains to other unaffected parts of the vehicle...

Where's the problem here?

Old 06-18-2003 | 02:57 PM
Re: I don't see this as a problem...

Originally posted by Smurfslayer
..., they can't deny you coverage for the N2O system... OTOH, if you come in for service needing new rods, and have a chip connected - Ford is well within their rights to terminate your powertrain warranty as pertains to the failures in the powertrain - NOT the remaining bumper to bumper warranty as pertains to other unaffected parts of the vehicle...
Just to play devil's advocate

What if you just a nitrous system installed and where on your way to the track to give it the trial run, but the engine blew before you ever ran it through ?

Old 06-18-2003 | 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Cobrakid
[BI realize their entire fleet has to meet gasoline mileage
standards, but if the put say 3.73s in the 96-01 Cobras
those cars would have ran 13.0s-13.4s from the factory in
a good driver's hands...instead of 13.5-13.9s. ..and it would
be one less needed mod people would have to worry about
and spend $250-$400 on.[/B]
You got it all wrong man! They should have put in 4.10s from the factory with an option for 4.30s!

<-------Ex cobra owner

Originally posted by captainoblivious
Just to play devil's advocate

What if you just a nitrous system installed and where on your way to the track to give it the trial run, but the engine blew before you ever ran it through ?
Stuff like that happens. I ran my '00 GT on juice...probably went through 15 bottles and not a problem. Sold the juice. 6 whole months later, I lost compression in #5. Not even related to the juice. Some metal nut had found it's way into my engine and ate away at the head. But Ford wouldnt even begin to warranty my car because they found holes drilled into my trunk and I had an offroad H pipe on the car. They were determined to void the warranty for that without even finding out what was wrong. Guilty until proven innocent.

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:06 PM
Cool

I don't blame them one bit for thier position!

It's just the unfair shortcutting that some dealers do that gets me worked up. (*assuming* a customer is guilty of mistreatment w/o checking into it)

But in reality how can Ford possibly be expected to be held responsible for mods that effect the workings of a particular car/truck? These things are out of their control. To be "fair" to both them and the customer they cannot.

Just my 2 cents,

(And I hope this one does'nt get shut down like yesterdays)

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:33 PM
Originally posted by captainoblivious
But the vehicles are already bought NOW, and will show up on P&L reports now. Screw the future, it's about the profits now.
Unfortunately, this hits the nail on the head. Just the way big businesses are run today in the USA.

The main problem I see with corporate documents like this is that it puts the dealers in the position of AUTOMATICALLY blaming an aftermarket part instead of investigating the cause. That alone will scare enough people into just paying for the repair instead of fighting to get the true cause solved.

Old 06-18-2003 | 05:26 PM
This is good and all but the first paragraph talked about damage by cellular phones!? Where did that come from

Old 06-18-2003 | 07:16 PM
Originally posted by RollinLimp2001
This is good and all but the first paragraph talked about damage by cellular phones!? Where did that come from
Probably referring to custom install hands-free kits that require splicing into the factory wiring harness.

Old 06-18-2003 | 08:14 PM
Question

Before buying my 03' Lightning I did a considerable amount of research on what I could actually do to her when I bought her............

Funny thing, Truckin Mag, Oct 2002 a paid for article (extensive) from "FORD" all about the benefits of upgrading to a KB twin screw over the stock Eaton.

Of course the dealership said I could add an air filter, LOL. Legally the Ford Motor Company has to prove that the addition or enhancement caused a failure to original equipment.

Hey, they're a corportation................. what do you expect?

Old 06-18-2003 | 08:37 PM
I almost started with "What a bunch of BS..." but I decided against it.
What gets to me is this:
Some of us bought the extended (7/100K) warantee, but now face the fact that Ford could deny it because we put an air filter in other than the one that came from the factory. What about tires? "We're sorry sir, we are going to have to deny your warantee claim because the tires you have installed provide too much traction and that's what lead to your spark plug blowing out". Or if you get in an accident and your exhaust needs to be replaced, then a year later you go in and they deny a claim because it's an "aftermarket" system.
I do understand where they are coming from, but come on man this opens up the doors for so many denials that we just don't stand a chance.
I know Ford reads these posts so maybe they will lighten up a little (I doubt it ). Or maybe they will reply here to tell my how to sell my extended warantee back to them.

Last edited by whitestx; 06-18-2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2003 | 08:45 PM
***** Ford....

Old 06-18-2003 | 09:09 PM
1. Sorry, but I'm still pissed that they didn't really get serious with the Cobra until after the Camaro/Trans Ams were discontinued anyway.
It was always fun to hope a SS wouldn't pull up beside you.......maybe a regular Z28, OK.
I know, I know, it was supposed to be a balanced. all-around, drivers car---not just about straight line speed.

2. From the Ford letter: These "body-builders" that would be installing parts, are they talking about the big dudes at the gym?

Old 06-18-2003 | 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Twisted99
***** Ford....
That what I am talking bout. When you call a dealership to ask a simple question about adding something factory to your car they wanna charge you 4 prices to much. They just need to get a life.

Old 06-19-2003 | 12:01 AM
Are you people nuts are are you just looking for a fight with Ford?

That document is well-reasoned, fair, and legally accurate.

The policy plainly is that an aftermarket part must have CAUSED the failure before a claim will be denied. That is all the law requires of Ford. That is all the warranty contract requires of Ford. And that is all that fairness requires of Ford.

There really is no debate here.

I am seriously beginning to question the reasoning ability of people on this board. Maybe Spike Engineering was right.

Old 06-19-2003 | 12:26 AM
Tim Skelton,
you are right that that document is fair and legal. But from stories i have heard, ford doesnt follow that policy. Right now i have an exhaust and and intake. if i get my warranty voided for that, that is a sin. If they follow thier policy, i should not be voided. well see how it goes. I am scared to go to the dealership just with an exhaust an intake and that just sucks. The guy that works there said they would void me for that. Ah well. Ford Sucks!

Vinny

Old 06-19-2003 | 01:14 AM
I got no problem with that. They wouldn't deny a claim for seat covers or shock absorbers, would they?

Quick Reply: Warning To Ford Dealers About " Chips/Hi Po Parts "