Lightning

Warning To Ford Dealers About " Chips/Hi Po Parts "

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003 | 07:08 AM
Isn't that the same policy they have had for years? I don't see any problem with Ford in this matter. It's a necessary part of being a corparation. The problem is in the way the dealers might inturprate this document. They are the ones who will ultimately be enforcing Fords rules.

If someone is reckless in the alteration of their vehicle why should Ford pay for their mistakes? The more we know about what we're doing to our vehicles the lesser the chance the dealer will be able to blame aftermarket add ons on a factory failure.

I don't drive a Lightning (as of yet) but I have made significant alterations to my truck. My dealership has not said a word about anything, other than when I ask a question. I know where I stand as far as my responsabilitys to this truck and I think the dealership knows where they stand as well.

It's not saying that we can't mod. It's just saying that if we do, we are taking on greater responsability.

Would it be possible to post a printable version of this document?

Old 06-19-2003 | 10:20 AM
Talking

You know what I always have found funny about all of this, is that the so called "Ford Performance SVO High flow filters" that all dealers sell are actually just K&N filters rebadged for ford...It even states on the box itself, "manufactured for Ford by K&N Filters Inc. etc"....

And the deal with having new ring gears installed...Ahhh helllooo Ford, Ford Motorsport sells the damn things....How Ironic I guess...In fact for the 99 and 01 Cobras, FMS sells a whole pumpkin kit with 3.73's in it....

It just amazes me how incompetent Ford Dealers are today, especially service writers and the technicians...

I wouldn't be amazed that in 5-10 years we will have no more performance cars and will all be driving around in Toyotas and Hondas...Ford is being hurt by the Bean counters Big time...The legal documents that were posted here are your standard liablity issues, etc and standard practice for Ford, but what it will lead to is a "War" between the customers and dealerships....You know, I wonder what Ford said to its customers back in the 70's when they produced the Boss and Mach 1 cars and even some were slated for drag racing....

Jeff

Old 06-19-2003 | 10:22 AM
I printed the document.
My warranty was voided because of aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket K&N flat panel replacement filter, 3" hole in bottom of air box, and evidence they say of a chip. Ford can and will void your warranty w/o proof that aftermarket parts caused the damage if they feel like it. That is the simple fact. They had no "proof" that the modifications on my vehicle caused the rod to break.
I posted that back in 2001 and people still wonder why their warranties are being voided...

Old 06-19-2003 | 11:19 AM
Is this why

Microtuners will be the wave of the future? you will upload the program without removing the chip but keep the stock program.. then reload the stock program when you take it in to the dealer and no evidence of reprogramming will be evident?

I agree with Tim Skelton on this one...

Dana

Old 06-19-2003 | 11:33 AM
Originally posted by bodawg
I understand Ford is in the middle of a financial crisis, but what is going to hurt them more, having to warrant some engines and trannies, or the fact that a LOT of performance enthusiasts will simply STOP BUYING FORD VEHICLES?!

I'm pretty sure it is the latter of the two.

The truth of the matter is Ford does not care about the "performance market" since it is such a small part of the overall picture.

Look at this from a numbers position, and the resultant return.

Total Cobra production = approx. 60,500 units (roughly)

Total 2nd Gen. "L" production = approx. 30,000 units (roughly)

2001 Explorer production = 445,157 units

2001 F150 production = 911,597 units

Think they really care what you think of their customer service once you modify your car/truck? Each time they warranty repair a "performance vehicle" it pulls profit from the 1,356,754 F150's and Explorers they sold. And that's only two model lines, one year's production. Get a grip................

Old 06-19-2003 | 12:07 PM
Originally posted by mswaim
The truth of the matter is Ford does not care about the "performance market" since it is such a small part of the overall picture.
Then why do they bother spending money engineering and producing halo vehicles like the Cobra and Lightning? Heck, why have an SVT division at all? Ford, just like nearly all auto makers, take a lot of pride in their performance vehicles. Just look at the money Chrysler has pumped into their SRT line of vehicles. Halo vehicles, while low in production numbers, create more base models sales. For this reason alone, they are important.

Think they really care what you think of their customer service once you modify your car/truck? Each time they warranty repair a "performance vehicle" it pulls profit from the 1,356,754 F150's and Explorers they sold. And that's only two model lines, one year's production. Get a grip................
Hey, who said anything about me modifying my vehicle?

As has been said in previous posts, the problem with a document like this is the automatic assumption the dealers and service writers can make because of it. "Hey, Ford said. . ." as an excuse, so to say. All the while ignoring potential manufacturing or engineering defects.

Old 06-19-2003 | 12:23 PM
Thats why I keep mine stock. Good thing I got a quick one from the factory. The times in my sig are just seat of the pants guestimates!

Old 06-19-2003 | 12:27 PM
Bodawg, don't take my post personal, I know you would never modify your vehicle. In fact, I've never met an SVT owner who has every modified their vehicle, after all Ford spends so much money making us a perfectly good hot rod, why would we ever want it to go faster?

I realize Ford as well as all the other camps make performance vehicles and promote them heavily. However, the profit margins are the bottom line. Ford sees in excess of $5,000 per copy on each Explorer they built. I can assure you the return on the SVT line is much less than that.

They use the SVT program to promote overall interest in their company, not as a stand alone profitable operation.

Old 06-19-2003 | 12:48 PM
Originally posted by mswaim
Bodawg, don't take my post personal, I know you would never modify your vehicle. In fact, I've never met an SVT owner who has every modified their vehicle, after all Ford spends so much money making us a perfectly good hot rod, why would we ever want it to go faster?

I realize Ford as well as all the other camps make performance vehicles and promote them heavily. However, the profit margins are the bottom line. Ford sees in excess of $5,000 per copy on each Explorer they built. I can assure you the return on the SVT line is much less than that.

They use the SVT program to promote overall interest in their company, not as a stand alone profitable operation.
Looks like we agree, just took a couple of posts to realize it

Old 06-19-2003 | 04:57 PM
Bottom line: It is worth giving up a warantee for an 11 second truck!

Old 06-19-2003 | 05:07 PM
Befor you run out and buy a brand x vehicle, remember the other guys have the same/similar policy.

Old 06-19-2003 | 06:41 PM
Originally posted by whip
Thats why I keep mine stock. Good thing I got a quick one from the factory. The times in my sig are just seat of the pants guestimates!
Maybe stock, but there is also wording in the warranty about "racing". Is test and tune considered "racing? I wouldn't be all that surprized if Ford sends out another memo regarding running a vehicle at the drag strip. They may clareify what they consider "racing". If they are going to consider running at the strip for times "racing" then we will see sales figures fall even faster.

Old 06-19-2003 | 07:41 PM
Originally posted by wittom
Maybe stock, but there is also wording in the warranty about "racing". Is test and tune considered "racing? I wouldn't be all that surprized if Ford sends out another memo regarding running a vehicle at the drag strip. They may clareify what they consider "racing". If they are going to consider running at the strip for times "racing" then we will see sales figures fall even faster.
What about the dyno?
Getting on the freeway?
Doing a quick little burn-out to impress my boss at work (Miata owner)?

I agree Ford needs to cover their a$$ to prevent people from filing a claim because their 150hp N2O shot busted a rod. Read my previous post about tires, or even a Fram paper filter causing a denial because it wasn't Motorcraft.
I'd really hate to be faced with a denial on my '03 because of something like that. I have a micro-tuner (Thanks Mike T.) but I will not uploaded the program to test my luck with Ford. What a shame that WE feel this way.

Old 06-19-2003 | 08:48 PM
For all of you getting on Ford's Case about this, try going and sitting in a new BMW. Go for it...seriously. I was driving a brand new 7 series a couple weeks ago, and there is a little sticker on the windshield that is on all their vehicles that warns that your car's warranty could be voided if you use a cell phone in your car. Just simply using one could void it according to the warning. Also included were obvious performance enhancements which NO OEM obviously will cover, nor damage caused by those enhancements. Brake dust covers...and some other items were also mentioned in this list.

And this was a $85,000 automobile we are talking about here...telling you that you can't use your cell phone in it.

Old 06-19-2003 | 10:59 PM
It is a fact that Ford hotline techs and upper management read these boards daily. Do I risk loss of warranty coverage (on my motor) because my sig may say that I have a non stock intake?

What type of failure could they balme on an open element or cat back?

Lew

Quick Reply: Warning To Ford Dealers About " Chips/Hi Po Parts "