Lightning

Warning To Ford Dealers About " Chips/Hi Po Parts "

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003 | 12:31 AM
If you think Ford is hardnosed about their warranty, talk to someone who has modified their GM vehicle.

Bottom line though, for all of us, if you wanna play, ya gotta pay.

Old 06-20-2003 | 12:40 AM
I got a little edgy about buying a lightning when a local dealer said 20inch wheels would void my bumper to bumper warrenty even if my a/c compressor went out. Something about how it puts more stress on the engine which stresses the compressor alternator etc....

Old 06-20-2003 | 12:46 AM
I guess that dealer never heard of a Harley Davidson edition F150. 20inch standard issue.

Old 06-20-2003 | 12:56 AM
I pointed that out.
The response was:
"The transmission is made to compiensate for that"

Ignore my spelling ::drinking::

Old 06-20-2003 | 01:13 AM
Originally posted by MEAT BAG
I pointed that out.
The response was:
"The transmission is made to compiensate for that"

Ignore my spelling ::drinking::
Whi chud i ignor yur spelling just kause you been drinkin?
I been drinkin to, and my spellin are perfekly fin.

Old 06-20-2003 | 02:02 AM
you are missing a very important note of the federal & state emission clean air act law if you install a component that will alter emissions you could be fine up to 31,500 per vehicle,by installing a chip you're tampering with emissions.so chip installers & tunners beware

Old 06-20-2003 | 02:05 AM
rookie here... but how does a chip mess with emissions. everything still flows through the cats and muffler so it is quiet and emissions will pass. how does a chip effect that.

Vinny

Old 06-20-2003 | 02:19 AM
that's true but how much you will be increasing them,+ you are going to change them in all the rpm band

Old 06-20-2003 | 02:53 AM
FuB
Originally posted by cyntaxx
Good thing I'm bone stock! I was thinking about a K&N panel filter today and almost went out and bought one but I'm glad I read this first! Guess I'll be sticking with my paper element filter...
Wouldn't be that much of a hastly to replace the stock air box....
Just save the sucker until you have to go in for a check up or what have you.

Old 06-20-2003 | 10:47 AM
$1billion in warranty claims in 02, since the previously mentioned

logic applies about the small ratio of SVT vehicles sold compared to "regular" vehicles, so logically it would seem that warranty claims would be a very small part of that $1 billion---even if SVT claims were 3-4 times the amount of regular vehicles? So obviously ford has quality problems accross the board! Too bad Ford/SVT can't take a page out of Toyota/TRD or Nissan/Nismo, Mercedes AMG! Buy/install performance parts at authorized dealer and vehicle standard/extended warranties intact Ford Racing parts don't have any warranty?What does this say ab out confidence Toyota, Nissan,etc have in their vehicles compared to Ford? JD Power comparisons? Hope Ford reads this!!!

Old 06-20-2003 | 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 95 Saleen S351
For all of you getting on Ford's Case about this, try going and sitting in a new BMW. Go for it...seriously. I was driving a brand new 7 series a couple weeks ago, and there is a little sticker on the windshield that is on all their vehicles that warns that your car's warranty could be voided if you use a cell phone in your car. Just simply using one could void it according to the warning. Also included were obvious performance enhancements which NO OEM obviously will cover, nor damage caused by those enhancements. Brake dust covers...and some other items were also mentioned in this list.

And this was a $85,000 automobile we are talking about here...telling you that you can't use your cell phone in it.
The great thing about BMW is there is a big difference between what the say, and what they do. The majority of their dealers also install aftermarket performance parts without affecting the comprehensive warranty. Even look at the new Mini Cooper S for example, buy the John Cooper Works pack for that, which is installed at the dealership, and includes a new cylinder head, bigger supercharger pully, performance EEC and a few other things, and your factory warranty stays intact. Just like jakemarietta said, there are plenty of auto manufacturers that take this same angle on aftermarket accessories. The question is, why can't Ford?

Old 06-20-2003 | 12:05 PM
Originally posted by 95 Saleen S351
And this was a $85,000 automobile we are talking about here...telling you that you can't use your cell phone in it.
Good for them!!! I'm sick of seeing yo-yo's in expensive cars yapping on the cell phone paying not attention and thinking because they have an expensive car everyone will work around them.

rookie here... but how does a chip mess with emissions. everything still flows through the cats and muffler so it is quiet and emissions will pass. how does a chip effect that.
Rich/lean, idle RPM's, etc affect emissions. By how much, I don't know but it does.

Maybe stock, but there is also wording in the warranty about "racing". Is test and tune considered "racing?
As for warranty coverage, that is one area that I think Ford needs get a little sense. They have SVT, who makes vehicles for higher performance standards and market them as such. Then when the customer buys them they get a free membership to SVTOA which sponsers and holds racing events. But the warranty can get voided for racing

Old 06-21-2003 | 03:49 AM
This is something I posted in another thread, but it's something I think you should at least think about.
Sorry it's kind of long winded....

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by SVT_KY
That huge "TUNED BY" sticker in the back window???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it's a funny story though. Wish I could tell it.

The post above made it look like I was trying to tell you how to "cheat" Ford, and I'd never do that, I was just stating that most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference, and if it makes it back to the factory, all they check for are things that aren't affected by the parts changed. I can't say what the "official position" is, but if the valve body is properly assembled, it won't do anything that will cause a failure. Without getting into the technical stuff, it's a change in calibration, and it's done exactly the way Ford changes the calibration for different models, so it comes closer to Moss Magneson than most mods.

Most people here tend to see MM act as " I can do anything I want and they have to prove IT caused the problem" which I guess there may be a good legal argument for. It's certainly the position SEMA would have you believe.

After reading a lot about it, and talking about it with someone who is very familiar with how it actually works, I think that it's much closer to being "I can use Quaker State instead of of Motorcraft oil", a point I think is equally valid. The law is really more about using non OEM replacement parts, and all of these have some sort of standard that makes them more or less commodities, oil has SAE specs, body panels have a NHTSA number, etc... that more or less certifies them as being OEM equals, but a valid "legal" argument can be made that anything that changes (improves) performance is changing how the truck was designed to operate, and as I've said before, you just can't go to court and win a case like that. Totally aside from the legal team Ford pays whether they're in court litigating or eating donuts in the office, Ford just has an incredible database of stuff you wouldn't even think of, for every little nut and bolt in the thing.

Somewhere there is a memo, study or document that explains why the solenoid has #30 torx bolt heads instead of 8mm bolts like all the other valve bodies. I have no idea why, but somewhere there is a reason, and if you fail a tranny and they find that you put regular bolts on there instead of ones with torx heads, (they're the same thread and length etc...) AND they think it may have caused the problem, you can bet they'll find that piece of paper, and it'll show up in court. They spent prolly $10K or more to put in a different machine for those bolts as oppesed to the one that torques the other 20 bolts on the wormtrail, they had some reason for doing it. ( I have no idea myself)

How about this, as a total hypothetical....
They void your warranty for a deep pan and no other mods. Ridiculous? right?

Well, how about if there was a study done in 1987, that basically said, the shallow pan has a different splash profile that works better, but for the 4x4 you need the extra 24 oz of fluid, we'll accept the risk of the pump starving a few seconds on the deep pan in a 4X4, but in these XXX models, it's not worth that risk, so use the shallow pan, which under most circumstances protects from splash related fluid starvation better.
So you get a deep pan, a year later your tranny fails, and the ONLY mod is the deep pan. Warranty analysis determines that it was fluid starved, but the filter was firmly in place. You just don't even think for a minute this is valid and you fight it all the way to court, and then some engineer pulls out this study on the stand, and says "yeah, we knew the deep pan wasn't as good, and on the models we put it on, we just decided to eat the extra warranty costs for other considerations, but on the models that didn't need it, it wasn't worth the extra warranty costs that we knew it would lead to, and that's why we denied this claim, it was a problem we knew about, and our engineers decided on that model it wouldn't work as well, even though it's the factory part on other models" And then the judge says "Next Case?"

I don't think that would actually happen, but if it did (and though I know the study was actually done, I have no idea whether it said the shallow pan was better under any circumstances, that's just a fable) you would lose, plain and simple. This is why I avoid the "Screwed by Ford on Warranty" threads, and something you should consider. There are a lot of things you don't know, haven't considered, and are in one way kind of really out there, but valid anyway, legally if not morally.....

G

Quick Reply: Warning To Ford Dealers About " Chips/Hi Po Parts "