Lightning

JDM Phenolic Spacers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003 | 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
Pick Me

Pick Me

No Me

Hey I have a idea, next weekend at FFW I'll run the qualifying without the spacer. Then before eliminations I will put the spacer on and see how much ET I pick up.

That could be a cool test, no pun intended.

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:16 PM
Guys

Seems like folks here like either picking on me or Jim. I guess today is Jim's turn.

The whole idea of dyno testing or track testing these products is really a joke unless you do it scientifically. That means install the product on a dozen or so trucks and do 100's of test runs under the same conditions. Half without the mod as a control and half with the mod. Then graph the changes if any and then factor out the testing variability and you will have some usable data.

The idea of installing a product on a truck and making one 1/4 mile run or dyno run with it and one with out is crazy. The variables from 60 foot time to traction to weather to headwind to engine temps to track conditions to etc etc etc make those comparisons invalid.

Using this kind of technique you could prove that adding an ice cold 16oz diet coke to the dash mounted cup holder will add HP on the dyno or cut ET's by 2 tenths. I mean come on, I ran my truck twice, the first time with out the coke and the second time the only thing I changed was the coke so that has to be the cause of the change.

Doug

Last edited by Silver_2000; 06-18-2003 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2003 | 04:22 PM
I agree with that!

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
The idea of installing a product on a truck and making one 1/4 mile run or dyno run with it and one with out is crazy.
All the more reason to have me, Gator and Don do tests

3 silver trucks coincidence, I think not

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:32 PM
Using this kind of technique you could prove that adding an ice cold 16oz diet coke to the dash mounted cup holder will add HP on the dyno or cut ET's by 2 tenths
Love that Silver ROFL. I think others say that Sprite is faster though

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:34 PM
Talking I have one....

I have the JDM Phenolic Spacer installed on my truck. I would say it definitely makes a difference. I am not as diligent as some of you to dyno the truck EVERYTIME I put a mod on. So, I don't have any true before and after numbers, being that I added a smaller upper pulley and larger mass air meter at the same time as the spacer. I will tell you that with a 11.4 A/F ratio, only 12 degrees of timing, 18lbs of boost, stock eaton, stock heads, built shortblock that the truck put over 600 ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels. I will be at JDM this Friday for more aggressive tuning. Don't ask for Dyno graphs...I don't have them.

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:34 PM
doug, you trip me out. i agree

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:35 PM
Jim or Justin @ jdm. 2 questions.
1. Do you reccomend porting the upper intake plenium? Having that ported and honed, will that help air flow to motor?
2. Will this spacer help cool the supercharger down at all? I am curious because I added a 2.80 upper and I already have a 4# lower. So i am concerned about all the heat I am making in the supercharger pushing 14-15 pounds of boost. Will this spacer insure me I am making more boost and not just more heat?
Anyone can answer these questions, jim just offered to post any questions, and he would answer them.
Thank you, Shane McKenna

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:44 PM
No flame inteneded and the product might even work,We will not know until they are thouroughly tested and the gain for something like that BEFORE the S/C is probally minimal anyway but..................What I got out of Jims post was this...............

I am now selling these spacers for $139.99.No they do not work but for all you Lightning guys that have bought every other mod for your truck.This stamped out $3 piece of composite matierial will give you something neat to buy incase you want to keep up with the JDMOSES oops i mean joneses.LOL

Im not bashing Jim or his products.He has some of the finest.But I just thought id share how his post "came across" to me

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:46 PM
Heres how it came across to me.

Hi , I am a tuner trying to HELP the L community by investing MY money and hoping people will buy a product that I feel will help you achieve performance.

VINNIE

Old 06-18-2003 | 04:54 PM
Originally posted by VINNIE

Hi , I am a tuner trying to HELP the L community by investing MY money and hoping people will buy a product that I feel will help you achieve performance.

VINNIE
I think you hit the nail on the head Vinnie. -Mat-

Old 06-18-2003 | 05:08 PM
Originally posted by VINNIE

VINNIE
Without tuners who do exactly what you stated,we would have a pretty boring mods list.That i agree on for sure.Im sure he IS trying to HELP. At $139.99 I think it is a little more than the Lightning community he is helping.But I will also say,When you are not mass producing items for hundreds of thousands of potential customers, this sort of thing happens.That is why SVT mods in general and FORD vehicles in general are usually more money then say a spacer for a 350 chebby.We should be all thankful for somebody like Jim to take the time to produce things
for our trucks out of scratch.You dont see MAJOR distibutors marketing things for lightnings.......However we are ALL entitled to our opinions.Take this from someone who has ONLY $700 of mods on his truck that runs 12.7s@106 all day long.That even with the SAME mods from "different" suppliersI would have spent over $1200 somewhere else.You can call me cheap i guess,But i like to shop and compare prices to HP gain ratio.I do feel that for some of the people who are on the edge of their goal.if this part gains you 1 tenth CONSISTANTLY and it really works,It sounds like a deal to me..............

:o

Old 06-18-2003 | 05:15 PM
I'll dyno the damn thing! I've got nothing to gain or lose from it and it's only another 7-10 dyno pulls to do it scientifically. Granted, those results will only apply to my truck but it's a middle-of-the-road modded truck. In order to do a true scientific comparison one would have to do four or five pulls without the spacer and than four or five with on the same day. That way you're guaranteed that the dyno wouldn't contribute to any change in numbers and the weather (at least in Arizona) is a constant this time of year. Sixty-five dyno runs and counting dynoing these frickin' mods one at a time is killing me...but anything to help my fellow L brothers!

Old 06-18-2003 | 05:48 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Jim or Justin @ jdm. 2 questions.
1. Do you reccomend porting the upper intake plenium? Having that ported and honed, will that help air flow to motor?
2. Will this spacer help cool the supercharger down at all? I am curious because I added a 2.80 upper and I already have a 4# lower. So i am concerned about all the heat I am making in the supercharger pushing 14-15 pounds of boost. Will this spacer insure me I am making more boost and not just more heat?
Anyone can answer these questions, jim just offered to post any questions, and he would answer them.
Thank you, Shane McKenna
Shane,

Porting the upper intake plenum will actually hurt your low end unless you have a highly modded Lightning. It increases your high rpm 7-10 HP on all the ported plenums we see here. But you loose just as much on the low end. It's really your option but I like the throttle response so I leave it unported.

The spacer will increase the plenum length which will increase throttle response but not boost level. It reduces the heat a great deal because the upper plenum is no longer directly bolted on to the supercharger. It now has a heat barrier between it.

Hope this helps,

Jim@JDM

Old 06-18-2003 | 05:50 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Gator,

All those in favor of Gator say "I"! For the free dyno test and spacer.

Jim@JDM

Quick Reply: JDM Phenolic Spacers!