Lightning

JDM Phenolic Spacers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003 | 09:26 PM
This is like Deja Vu....all over again!

Almost time to close this one.....will there be a round 3?

Old 06-18-2003 | 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Jim@JDM
Gator,

All those in favor of Gator say "I"! For the free dyno test and spacer.

Jim@JDM
If I can't get the free spacer, I guess I cast my vote for the Gator.

You go Bruce

Old 06-18-2003 | 10:10 PM
Whatever, go Gator, give it a run. Just give me some damn #'s already!!!!!

Old 06-18-2003 | 10:21 PM
i'll do it

Old 06-18-2003 | 10:22 PM
You know, you guys kill me. Here's a tuner that making something for US, the Lightning community. And you want to bash, throw crap/insults. {Shaking head} And yeah, I have JDM parts on my truck, BUT I also have PSP, JLP and LFP parts.You do realize that once you get to a certain level, the steps you make are small, but they all add up to the total package. So every little bit helps to move these plywood haulers

Iam willing to bet, that most of the chit throwers would be happy to drive a 380 hp truck. (*edited out, as not to hurt the kids feelings*). But Iam, and alot of others are not!

So say what ya what, but because of the tuners selling their parts, my 4800 lb truck is in the 11's

See ya at the tree

Old 06-18-2003 | 10:38 PM
Who's got a bigger mouth than me

PICK ME PICK ME

Old 06-18-2003 | 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Don's Bolt
If I can't get the free spacer, I guess I cast my vote for the Gator.
Ditto

... or we can just give Gator some moonshine and do a quick unistall while he's passed out ...

LOCOSVT - RobG brought that up in the other thread, and I posted the link also. Guess noone remembers

Old 06-18-2003 | 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Jim@JDM
Shane,

Porting the upper intake plenum will actually hurt your low end unless you have a highly modded Lightning. It increases your high rpm 7-10 HP on all the ported plenums we see here. But you loose just as much on the low end. It's really your option but I like the throttle response so I leave it unported.

The spacer will increase the plenum length which will increase throttle response but not boost level. It reduces the heat a great deal because the upper plenum is no longer directly bolted on to the supercharger. It now has a heat barrier between it.

Hope this helps,

Jim@JDM
Helps a great deal. Thanks for the info on the spacer. Are teh spacers in stock now? I will try to order one in the next few days. Just if you can clarify how porting the upper will hurt me. I know I dont have a lot done to the motor but I though more air flow would help. I can be wrong, but what exactly is being done when the intake is ported and honed? I really apreciate your reply. thanks, Shane

Old 06-19-2003 | 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
The whole idea of dyno testing or track testing these products is really a joke unless you do it scientifically. . . .

The idea of installing a product on a truck and making one 1/4 mile run or dyno run with it and one with out is crazy. The variables from 60 foot time to traction to weather to headwind to engine temps to track conditions to etc etc etc make those comparisons invalid. . .
I call

Anyone has the basic intelligence to control variables in dyno testing. I don't need any more data than two or three runs, install the part, two or three runs, and remove the part, two or three runs. The dynos compensate for atmospheric conditions. Any dyno shop owner would understand these basic principles.

As far as track testing goes, trap speed is very reliable. Repeat the procedure above and do the atmosphere math.

There is no excuse for not providing hard numbers.

Old 06-19-2003 | 06:24 AM
Banned
Ive never got these spacers on 5.0's to show a power increase on the dyno or 1/4 mile.

If this is adding some volumetric correction to incoming air into the rotors, then perhaps there is a benefit. This is why people want to know about a power increase before they justify the expense.

Old 06-19-2003 | 07:55 AM
I'll post this again since no one bothered looking at it in the other thread...

This was originally posted by Bad as L last October regarding blower porting. Interesting stuff. captainoblivious also has a couple thread links for further enjoyable and informative reading.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=104706

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=92733

"Ok the outlet was remachined in a mill. I stayed with the exact same shape but pushed everything out .100 or we could just round it off to an 1/8 inch after grinding.
After the mill work on the outlet, I used a die grinder and a lot of patience and dupilated the stock shape wich is a fairly large radius from the inside to the outside.

As far as flow data, I dont have it in front of me (I'm at work) but from memory I can tell you that a stock blower case with a stock upper manifold flowed 491.6 cfm 10" of H20 and the full boogy unit with all the porting and reshaping and clay work inside, it flowed 661 cfm. So it is possible to see 25 to 30% increase in flow. And all of the work is centered at the turn, your trying to get the air around that 180 degree turn and then load the rotors with a full charge of air.

There is epoxy on the floor of the upper manifold to reshape the short turn rad and make it more robust if you will. There is a spacer between the upper manifold and the blower case (1/2 inch tall) that adds more volume to the turn and then the roof and side of the blower case itself are blended into the whole mess. The 1/2 inch spacer is worth a flat 30 cfm on any blower.

Have Fun
Dale-"

Hope that helps some.

Last edited by SVTRobG; 06-19-2003 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2003 | 09:09 AM
Porting the upper intake plenum will actually hurt your low end ...

The spacer will increase the plenum length which will increase throttle response...
I'd like to have someone explain to me how either of these things can be true...

Old 06-19-2003 | 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
I call

The dynos compensate for atmospheric conditions.
The dyno program does not compensate for the different operating temperatures of the motor and we all know what heat does to these motors.

Old 06-19-2003 | 10:03 AM
Originally posted by NeedFourSpeed
The dyno program does not compensate for the different operating temperatures of the motor and we all know what heat does to these motors.
That's why you let the motor run long enough to open the thermostat before each run.

Old 06-19-2003 | 10:28 AM
Tim

The point I was trying to make that was over looked is that there are MANY varaiables in both track runs and dyno runs. I know very little about either but I know enough to skew both to my advantage if the goal is to show the gain from a particular part.

I have dynoed my truck dozens of times. The dynos vary as much as 5% from run to run on the same day. 5% is 20 HP or so.

So since with no changes they vary 5%. I run the truck once get a reading on the low end of normal. Add a part run it again and get a reading on the high end of normal. Then I come on here or anywhere else and let everyone know that the widget I just installed gave me 15 hp increase and I have dyno sheets to prove it....

I havent seen that many people tout the MPH increases from thier mods. My expereince has been that wheel spin will tend to increase MPH.

A better judge of a part in my mind is the opinions and results that dozens of people have had with that part. The dozens of independant expereinces eliminates some of the forced variability. Which by the way is one of the reasons that I started reading this board almost 4 years ago.. So I could use all of the then members as test mules.

None of my comments is meant to either puff up or shoot down any person or part. It is just my opinion based on reading here and listening to people at the dyno and the track trying to justify
modifications based on one run.

Doug

Quick Reply: JDM Phenolic Spacers!