Lightning

Tranny Problems with FTVB... Please Help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003 | 10:31 AM
|
Angry Tranny Problems with FTVB... Please Help!!!!!!!!

Ok, I bought a brand new FTVB from a buddy of mine who never put it in his truck...(he bought it from Sal actually)....It has a label "C2" on it and looks like Greg Evans signed it, etc...

Any way I installed this FTVB about 2 weeks ago, with a deep MAC aluminum pan and new filter...I used Mobil 1 ATF , put in around 10 qts or so, cause the pan is HUGE...Any way, this went in along with a new chip for my new 6lb pulley...I drove out to dearborn for Ford's 100th Anniv celebration and drove back and did some other around town driving in the past 2 weeks, so I would say maybe 1200 miles or so total on the FTVB...

Well last night, coming home from Gold's, the tranny went haywire...It wouldn't shift into overdrive and kept hunting for the gears...It then shot into 2nd and wouldn't go into third...I then slowed to red lights and it was going nutts, barely going out of first and hanging in 2nd...It did manage to go into 3rd, but with a loud "clunking, grinding" sound...Didn't sound good at all...

Luckily I was almost home...I pulled the truck into my garage, shut it off, let it cool down and waited to take out the FTVB and put the stock one back in to see if the FTVB was junk...(There have been some here that the shop has done that have caused "similar" slipping or sticking problems...

So I change out the valvebody, put the pan back on , put 10 new qts in or so ( I know this amount is right, cause when I drained the pan it filled up a 7 1/2 qt pan no problem and kept going for about 2-3 qts more in my other drain pan)....I drove it around, seemed fine...Then I took it out to work, drove fine, then bam, won't go into overdrive...Its like the tranny is "hunting" for the 3rd to 4th shift, keeps going in and out it feels like, hard to explain...Its kind of like it tries to go to 4th , then downshifts back to 3rd...

I turned off the overdrive then and just drove side roads to work...It went through 1st to 3rd, no problems at all, and seemed fine with the stock Valve Body....But overdrive seems to be fubarred...

Any opinions , suggestions, similar experiences, etc would be greatly appreciated....The valve body did shift awefully hard from 2-3 and 3-4 when I put it in, but I figured thats what it was supposed to do, who knows....I'll be really PISSED if the valve body took out 4th gear, as the tranny was fine for 38K miles before I made the change

Hopefully Greg Evans will chime in and I'm waiting till Sal gets off his phone LOL

Jeff

Old 06-24-2003 | 10:39 AM
Banned
Dayum dude, sorry to hear about your probs. Only instances ive seen VB's go haywire on here from VB install was the flashing O/D light symptom. Hopfully you will get it worked out soon. Gregg is probably at work now, so he wont be able to chime in until tonight.

If you can, see if you can take it into the dealer. Did you buy your L new or used Jeff?

Old 06-24-2003 | 10:49 AM
|
Unhappy

Originally posted by Flying ****
Dayum dude, sorry to hear about your probs. Only instances ive seen VB's go haywire on here from VB install was the flashing O/D light symptom. Hopfully you will get it worked out soon. Gregg is probably at work now, so he wont be able to chime in until tonight.

If you can, see if you can take it into the dealer. Did you buy your L new or used Jeff?

Hey man, whats up???

I've got 39K miles on the truck, bought it new, and haven't had any tranny problems till I did this switch Soo my warranty is up, and I will have to pay to fix it myself...Hopefully its nothing too too major!!!!

Jeff

Old 06-24-2003 | 10:49 AM
Go talk to Gregg in his forum over on www.nloc.net

I had a problem with mine a few weeks ago and he took care of me very nicely. He sticks behind his products VERY well. I have no doubt you will get this worked out.

-Kimball

Old 06-24-2003 | 10:52 AM
you should easily be able to remove the VB on your own. All you need is:

8mm socket
10mm socket
1/2 inch socket for drain plug
torque wrench that goes 50-200 inch pounds
jack
jack stands
6 or so qt of ATF

very common tools is all that is needed.

-Kimball

Old 06-24-2003 | 10:55 AM
|
Unhappy

Originally posted by zbornac
you should easily be able to remove the VB on your own. All you need is:

8mm socket
10mm socket
1/2 inch socket for drain plug
torque wrench that goes 50-200 inch pounds
jack
jack stands
6 or so qt of ATF

very common tools is all that is needed.

-Kimball
Hey man, I did remove the FTVB last night, and put the stock one back in...I put the FTVB in myself about 2 weeks ago, and yes its easy....I use 10 qts of ATF as I have the Huge MAC pan

Jeff

Old 06-24-2003 | 11:22 AM
You said a new chip went in also. I would check that first.

Old 06-24-2003 | 11:57 AM
no kidding , the chip would be more likely since you have already swaped back to the stock VB and it does the same thing. I would take that chip off, disconnect the battery, and try again with the stock VB, then try it that way with the FTVB...I bet all you need a re-burn

Old 06-24-2003 | 12:21 PM
When you put in the chip, did it have any line pressure work done on it.............that should be your problem..........Also, wasn't there a thread or two on here that advised AGAINST using synthetic ATF?? Hopefully that isn't an issue, but you may want to look into that.................From what I have heard these trannies don't respond to well to syn-ATF. I may be wrong on that, so please no flames...........but I think that's what I have read on here b4.

jc

Old 06-24-2003 | 12:27 PM
|
Unhappy

I originally just had a single PSP street chip and filter kit....Then sal reburned me a 2 program PSP chip for the FTVB, the new 6lb pulley and exhaust...

On the original single chip, sal had the line pressure turned up a little in the program...When he burned me the new chip for the dual program, FTVB, 6lber, I had him turn off all line pressure, since I figured the FTVB would be more than enough for shifting....I was thinking maybe the chip, but I've driven about 1200 miles on it with the chip and no problems, so why now?? Do chips get "fried" or somehow lose their program possibly??? I'm going to pull the chip tonight, check the contacts, disconnect the battery, etc and see if it does the same thing...

Like I said though, with the FTVB in last night, the damn thing wouldn't even shift out of 1st, aweful...When I put the stock valve body back in, it shifts fine from 1st through 3rd....

As far as synthetic ATF goes, why the hell would the trannies not like it?? I've never heard of that...I don't see how that would cause it to act up....I wasted the $60 plus on the damn Mobil 1 any way, so I replaced the new fluid with just plain old Mercon, as I figure I'm going to be changing out valve bodies again soon

Jeff

Old 06-24-2003 | 12:41 PM
Factory_Tech should chime in eventually here soon I would think, he has always been helpful when people are having any kind of trasnny problem, especially with his VB

Old 06-24-2003 | 01:15 PM
I don't think it's teh accumulator, but shoot man an address and I'll replace it.

G

Old 06-24-2003 | 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Factory_Tech
I don't think it's teh accumulator, but shoot man an address and I'll replace it.

G

Old 06-24-2003 | 05:41 PM
See!!!! Told you he'd take care of you.

Hey Gregg, I have been trying to get ahold of you for an address to ship that valve body core and the bad one back to you. Where do you want them to go? Get ahold of me please.

zbornac@earthlink.net

-Kimball

Old 06-24-2003 | 09:29 PM
If you swapped out the Valve Body and still have the problem then it’s not the FTVB.
Pull that chip and clean the contacts! Should be allot easier than swapping the valve body.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Tranny Problems with FTVB... Please Help!!!!!!!!