Lightning

Are the Rods really bad in these motors or is it user error?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003 | 04:48 PM
agreed

If your block flexed 1/2" you'd be picking up the pieces off the street.
Yes......that's what i'm saying. When we start cranking these things up, the blocks flex, which is normal, but 1/2 inch is not and you will in fact be picking up pieces.......plenty of people have already seen this, including myself. That's why i know how thin the blocks are!!!

Old 06-28-2003 | 06:12 PM
Banned
Re: agreed

Originally posted by tallimeca
Yes......that's what i'm saying. When we start cranking these things up, the blocks flex, which is normal, but 1/2 inch is not and you will in fact be picking up pieces.......plenty of people have already seen this, including myself. That's why i know how thin the blocks are!!!

And where exactly did you hear this information from?

Even a 4.6 DOHC Cobra Alumn block with built internals and 30 psi doesnt even flex 1/8th an inch and that is factual data you are more then welcomed to ask Joe Stewart and Dave King.

I dont see how our blocks are flexing 1/2", esp being cast iron and 1/4th the power level. Im calling BS on this one.

Last edited by Flying Mofo; 06-28-2003 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2003 | 06:19 PM
Huh?

The strongest thing on these trucks is the block.

Old 06-28-2003 | 07:43 PM
For what its worth....regular old cast iron doesn't bend it just breaks. There are grades of cast iron that are maleable but I'm not sure if our blocks are made from it.
Dale

Old 06-28-2003 | 09:34 PM
knock sensor

Hi: ford tech here and according to the SVT product training the PCM on the L does NOT! look at the knock sensor at all it is in the top of the block and hooked to the harness but the PCM does not use it.

Old 06-28-2003 | 10:57 PM
You cant see detonation with an Auto tap or any other scanner I have seen.

Doug

THere are a few pictures of the autotap in use on my truck on my website

http://www.svtlightnings.com/scantool/scantool.htm

I bought a NGS scanner due to the short comings of the Autotap

Doug

Old 06-29-2003 | 06:31 PM
relax

Im calling BS on this one.
Don't get your panties in a twist ****. I'm not standing behind this statement at all. Maybe he was speaking figurativly or something. He just said that from top to bottom on these motor with the earlier 5.4 block castings, the was a measurable about of flex and that's what was causing the majority of the broken rods in these blocks, not just on lightnings, but there have been some issues with non lightning application 5.4's as well. When he said it, it was like....."some of these blocks were found to be flexing from the bottom of the engine to the heads like a friggen 1/2 inch or something".......i'm sure there is no documention that it was an actual 1/2 inch but it must have been alot.

Quick Reply: Are the Rods really bad in these motors or is it user error?