Lightning

Sick of this crap. Less Boost. More Bolt-On's

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by speeder
I don`t know if this applys to our trucks or not, I was reading on another board were someone was having trouble with bad detonation and tryed everything to fix it, what was finally discovered to be the problem was the barometric presure sensor was bad, once it was replaced it fixed the problem.
I don`t know if our trucks use a sensor like this or not, but its worth looking into.

Larry.

My Barometric sensor just took a dump. I was not getting any deotination just 106,107 and 108 codes.

BTW Ford has the DPFE sensor listed as the barometric sensor in their system. stress it is for a lightning and if you get it through their thick heads, they will understand.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning

I hope your running Denso IT-22's for starters ???
Detonation CAN BE caused by excessive Cylinder Temps.
TR-6's would not be good for you, what plug are you running ?
And What Gap ???
Just wondering what are wrong with TR6s? I plan on running them with my 4#/50-75 shot combo.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:44 AM
oh i forgot to mention that I run BR7s

Old 06-29-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by cyntaxx
Just wondering what are wrong with TR6s? I plan on running them with my 4#/50-75 shot combo.
Nothing wrong with them Cyntaxx, but he's having a Detonation Problem and Denso IT-22's are colder than TR6's.
NGK doesn't make a TR-7, instead they make the BR7. Thats a great cold plug for racing, but not for stop and go driving.
IMO TR-6's are not cold enough for higher boost engines, for over 4lbs I would absolutely recommend a colder plug and richer tune for not only safety, but more importantly for a correction factor making the set up more forgiven. In J15BIG case, he's Detonating so the first thing I ask and say is TR-6's would not be good for that situation. He needs BR7 or IT-22.
And since Denso's are known for getting rid of the excessive heat, the excellent idle's, and no misfires, I find them to be extremly flexible, give excellent Performance, and be perfect in every condition.

Old 06-29-2003, 03:23 AM
Banned
Nothing wrong with them Cyntaxx, but he's having a Detonation Problem and Denso IT-22's are colder than TR6's.
NGK doesn't make a TR-7, instead they make the BR7. Thats a great cold plug for racing, but not for stop and go driving.
IMO TR-6's are not cold enough for higher boost engines, for over 4lbs I would absolutely recommend a colder plug and richer tune for not only safety, but more importantly for a correction factor making the set up more forgiven. In J15BIG case, he's Detonating so the first thing I ask and say is TR-6's would not be good for that situation. He needs BR7 or IT-22.
And since Denso's are known for getting rid of the excessive heat, the excellent idle's, and no misfires, I find them to be extremly flexible, give excellent Performance, and be perfect in every condition.
BR7's work flawlessly out here in stop & go. Who better else to test stop & go traffic then people from socal Only annoyance with BR7's is an occassional low end miss. But hell, for $20 a set, no complaint. I run them with a 4# for safety. Ill take the performance hit in lieu of safety anyday.

Denso's are a rich mans plug. One hit of detonation and they crack the insulation. Screw that noise.

J, we will get you sorted out shortly.

Old 06-29-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Flying ****
BR7's work flawlessly out here in stop & go. Who better else to test stop & go traffic then people from socal Only annoyance with BR7's is an occassional low end miss. But hell, for $20 a set, no complaint.
I was getting tired of spending the $70 a set for the IT-24's and have been using TR6's. I burned one a few weeks ago. I stuck in some BR7EF's last week and they work well. They only cost $1.69 each at advance auto parts. There is a little miss at idle, but that is okay.

Old 06-29-2003, 09:02 AM
I'm Sorry Mo Fo + Easter,
I guess I've heard so many people talk about them loading up around town that I assumed they were not good for daily drivers. I know they're great for performance and racing.
If the only thing you give up is a little idle, then I say hellz ya it sounds like a great plug for the money.
I STAND CORRECTED sorry bout that...

I'd consider giving them a try but already have a spare set of Denso's. Last time I toasted my TR-6's, I found NO ONE has a plug to fit the Lightning around here, My truck was down a week waiting for plugs, THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN
BTW
Your right about the rediculas price on Denso's, it's just I've had sooooo great luck with them even while running so many differant set ups that I find them perfect for me.
I run 8 differant set ups and they preform perfect in all
low timing with 4 lbs
low w 6 lbs
low w 4 and juice
low w 6 and juice
then the same 4 set ups with my high timing side, totalling 8

Old 06-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Well it looks like yall are talking my language. Detonation king here. I have quite a collection of burned valves, bent valves, and burned Denso's and TR6s. Mine is detonating real easy on a safe program now. I'm sending my chip back one more time to see if it can get safer or if Jim suggests I will go down to a 2lb pulley for daily driving. My exaust tips have never been so clean. It really keeps me upset. I can't even pass a another car without the pinging. If I didn't have so much money in my bottom end I would get rid of it. I'm stuck for life now. When it was stock I didn't care if I blew it, being built I baby it. I have heard alot about fuels, 5 dollars a gallon for fuel or 8 dollars a gallon for Tulene is not going to cut it for daily driving. I will keep learning from yall, and trying new ways. Keep up the good work on the advice!

Old 06-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Hi: 01L had only a super chip with R9 program around 4500 in third gear if outside temp was around 85-90 i wold get spark knock. Now I have added a 4# pulley, 170* T-Stat, NGK TR6 plugs, polished the T-Body, Pro Glass Shaker ram air hood, Airaid cold air box and filter, Auto meter pillar pod with A/F meter and Boost guage. Bored? OK here is the point NO Ping! when in boost the A/F guage goes half way in the green and stays there up to the 5500 shift and the boost guage goes to a solid 12# of boost also just took a 300 mile trip and on the tank of fuel coming back got 18.1 MPG. I know from all these posts and these mods it don't make sence but it's true and all with no chip reburn?

Old 06-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Banned
I'm Sorry Mo Fo + Easter,
I guess I've heard so many people talk about them loading up around town that I assumed they were not good for daily drivers. I know they're great for performance and racing.
If the only thing you give up is a little idle, then I say hellz ya it sounds like a great plug for the money.
I STAND CORRECTED sorry bout that...

I'd consider giving them a try but already have a spare set of Denso's. Last time I toasted my TR-6's, I found NO ONE has a plug to fit the Lightning around here, My truck was down a week waiting for plugs, THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN
BTW
Your right about the rediculas price on Denso's, it's just I've had sooooo great luck with them even while running so many differant set ups that I find them perfect for me.
I run 8 differant set ups and they preform perfect in all
low timing with 4 lbs
low w 6 lbs
low w 4 and juice
low w 6 and juice
then the same 4 set ups with my high timing side, totalling 8
Naw its ok., just all of these plugs all work differently in other climates and fuel. You cant go around running TR6's here with a 4# pulley and expect longevity. The 91 octane tears them up bad. I know a couple guys who almost lost motors running those plugs with just a 4#.

I was told so many bad things about the BR7's. But in all reality Rob, i didnt have a choice. I absolutely refuse to run $80 plugs man, especially as weak as the denso's are. I used to run copper plugs in the cobra with 22 psi and changed them out every oil change. Of course, getting to those plugs are cake. At any rate, im very happy with the abuse NGK's can take when your still looking for that perfect tune. They are forgiving plugs and allow that 2 stage colder range without donating a ********.

How many chips do you got now rob? Lol. time a reflash bro and send off off the delta for dual race programs

BTW. Ill be squeezing shortly myself.

Old 06-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Ya I know I've been a little **** about Timing, Plugs, and Programs.

After the episode with the TR-6's Melting with a restricted Flowing Fuel Filter, I truly realized how delicate and dangerous these L are when it comes to running Lean or Detonation, Even driving home from the track that day, you'd be amazed how good it ran with 3 melted plugs, no dead spots, no booging, no noticable lose of power, just not enough fuel flowing to keep it safe

From that point on I insisted on 93 Octane programs but run 94.
I insisted on super rich A/F's for long WOT Blast (hardly do them)
I started using 2 ranges colder plugs (again more safety)
I also believe in forcing cool outside air in the upper intake,
Mine takes air in from 3 sources,(Fender, Engine Comp, + Outside)
and I've very slowly over the course of 10 programs and 1 year have brought my timing up a little at a time, instead of over doing it and going BOOM. To my surprise I now run 18 degrees of timing on the street 24/7 on pump gas Winter, Spring, Summer+Fall.
I truly Believe some of the detonation we hear about IS NOT a Timing problem, but instead is too Lean a Tune, and too hot a plug.

Yes that L will whoop my a$$ with the same mods due to it's agressive tune, leaner more performace tune, and hotter fire in the cylinder, HOWEVER these are also the L's we read those terrible post about when they break
be Safe Bro's
Motor On, time for a and dip in the pool

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 06-29-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:15 PM
one other thought

You might be sucking oil into the intake. Check it and see. Skip

Quick Reply: Sick of this crap. Less Boost. More Bolt-On's