Lightning

How often do you change your tranny filter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003 | 04:40 PM
|
How often do you change your tranny filter?

Just curious as to when I should schedule a tranny filter change. Also, is there any particular brand of filters you guys recommend? Where and how much?

Old 06-29-2003 | 05:17 PM
Paranoid son of a be-otch.

-Kimball

Old 06-29-2003 | 06:09 PM
You don't need to change it.

"Factory_Tech
Senior Member &
Supporting Vendor

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jace18
Watch those flush machines. They may back wash all the stuff the filter traped back into the tranny. Best to change the filter before the flush.

Just my $.02
Jace
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not right. There is no way to "backflush" a tranny, they only pump oil in one direction, I guess you could put a wrench on the crankshaft and turn the motor backwards, but I'm not even sure that would work. A flush machine simply pumps the old fluid out while putting new fluid in. And that's all you need. My rule on filters is, if you have a reason to drop the pan, change it, but just changing the fluid in not a good enough reason to drop the pan. The filter in the transmission is not on the maintenance schedule, officially you never need to change it. After the first 100 miles there is very little to get trapped in the filter unless you have damage to the transmission, but on a routine fluid change I'd not bother with the filter, especailly if you already changed it once. "

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 06-29-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2003 | 07:21 PM
|
Sweet.

Kimball: yep, I figured if it was recommended then I would just spend the money and change filters when I'm down there. But seeing as how there is no reason to...

Quick Reply: How often do you change your tranny filter?