Lightning

Suddenly it won't run, need troubleshooting help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suddenly it won't run, need troubleshooting help

99 L
27k miles, Bone stock, intercooler replaced 3k ago, plugs were tight.
Been running fine. Usually just touch the key and it comes to life.

Went to breakfast this morning and ran errands. 1/4 tank of gas and been fine on the first half of the tank.

Come home and park it. Need to go on a parts run about an hour later and it fires but idles real ruff and won't rev and clean out like a carb would. Just idles real ruff around 5 hundred rpm. Was barely able to get in gear and crawl up the driveway and get it in garage.

Took the snorkel loose to see how much oil etc. has been dribbling from the throttle body. (looked dry and the idle air hose looked clean and dry.

Removed the idle solenoid off the passenger side of the Suppercharger. Front air hole looked clean and dry. Rear hole from crancase breather was just mildly dark and not real wet or anything unusual.

Didn't disconnect the battery yet and try a reboot but will if you guys think I should.

anyway to test that idle solenoid? Like just power it up somehow to see if it is moving?

Would be gratefull for any advice as this has put me down and I am driving a 66 Volkswagen in this 100 degree Colorado heat!

Thanks in advance
Greg

Old 07-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Have you changed your fuel pump? I have a 99 also that experienced the same problems as yours did only it quit on me on the highway...The 99s/00s are notorious for the fuel pump hoses to come loose inside the fuel tanks..Also I think the fuel pumps in our years were kinda crappy, someone correct me if I'm wrong..That was the problem with mines..Before it completely died it was idling ruff, and stumbling really bad.. I took it to the dealer and thats what the problem was...I'm sure others on the board would agree with the loose hose from the fuel pump scenario with the 99s/00s..

Good luck

Old 07-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rayden hit the nail on the head. Drop the tank and pull the fuel pump assy. The 99s and 00s used a horrible crimp on style hose clamp on the pump "Y" assy. Sounds exactly like you blew one of the lines off. As for the pumps themselves, shouldn't be any issues there, the pumps were fine.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:20 PM
I'd check the idle air control solenoid. That sounds like what happened to my father. The dealership replaced it and it ran fine after that.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Ok guys
Any hints on dropping the tank?
Or is it pretty straight forward?
Glad it was only 1/4 full.

I have a floor jack.
Should I put her up on jackstands?

Old 07-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by EZGZ
Ok guys
Any hints on dropping the tank?
Or is it pretty straight forward?
Glad it was only 1/4 full.

I have a floor jack.
Should I put her up on jackstands?
1/4 tank is a LOT of gas - syphon if ya can....

From what I've seen, it's a pretty easy to-do.

Jackstands, and watch the lines as you drop it.

Old 07-07-2003, 05:57 PM
yeah pretty straight forward.
Got it lowerd a bit with the floor jack and the truck on stands.

Got the fill and vent hose off and the fuel pump electrical unsnapped.

Got the rear gray line off using the plastic release device that I used when I changed the fuel filter.

BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO GET IT TO WORK ON THE BLUE FUEL LINE!
I have pushed pulled twisted and turned the air blue but it won't realease. I tried the gray size but the blue release plastic should work.

Any other tricks? I can feel the tool go in all the way and I can slide it a back and forth a bit but it just doesn't want to come off.
I'm taking a brake before I bleed on it that usually works.....

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2003, 06:49 PM
I jack up the truck as high as I can get it. put a jack under the tank. unscrew the rubber hose for the tank and the little one also. unbolt the straps. leave all other lines connected. remove the six little 8mm screws on top of the tank and pull the pumps out. It shouldn't take too long.

Old 07-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Just my luck, I broke the little blue plastic roll over valve and the dealer doesn't have it in stock. Frigging hoses would turn but not come off the plastic. The rear one I just cut it in the middle and will use a barbed hose connector to repair.

I can see down in the vent hole next to the pumps. I can see all the clamps and hoses and I stuck a long screwdriver down there to gently move them and see if they were loose from the pump. One looked kind of crooked. As soon as I nudged it it came loose.

So the plan is to pull the pump and use new hose clamps on all the connections.

I have all the bolts out of the top of the pump plate. But it doesn't want to come up????
Any chance of bending or breaking anything if I gently go around the edges prying on it?

Thanks again everyone for your input.

What a Pain.
Greg

Old 07-07-2003, 08:00 PM
My black 99 left me on the road one morning..it would idle along but just barely. Blew the hose off the in tank pump..like everyone said......

Old 07-07-2003, 08:19 PM
I have a better suggestion on checking the pumps, this is a trick dealers use when changing fuel pumps. So long as you dont have a bedliner it is the easiest/cleanest way to do this. Disconnect the tail light harness in back near hitch, remove filler neck, remove torxs bolts holding bed onto frame and next get a buddy to help you out. Set up something strong enough to support the bed and lift the bed, moving it back just enough to access the pump, your gonna put you support in back near tailgate. I promise you this is the easiest way to do this, even if you have a full tank of gas its easy to check pump assembly.

Last edited by BuzzzLightyear; 07-07-2003 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:31 PM
I believe ya!

Well, the day had a happy ending.
The guy across the street came over to supervise and I told him I was needing the valve and was replacing all the clamps on the pump hoses.

Turns out he had a Ford gas tank on the side of his garage with a valve outlet that fit mine....

I put it all back together and test drove it. It is back to it's old self and I can go to bed happy.

Thank you all for your support and input. Thanks to you I got it done the same day it went bad.

That is what this forum is all about.
GZ

Old 07-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice .

Quick Reply: Suddenly it won't run, need troubleshooting help