Lightning

Rattle is gone- weeee

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003 | 08:33 PM
|
Talking Rattle is gone- weeee

Ever since I had the roll bar installed I have had a few little tiny rattles. I just thought that was the price you had to pay if you wanted a roll bar.

About two weeks ago a new rattle started all of a sudden. This one sounded like it was coming from around the seat belt adjuster, right behind your left ear. Well I ripped all the plastic parts out of my interior two or three times trying to find it.

Well I finally figured out where it was coming from today, and it is all fixed.

When they installed the roll bar not only is it welded to the frame, but also there is a plate that is welded to the floor of the cab. For some reason they only welded 3 sides of the plate. Both sides and the front are welded, but not the back side of the plate. Well the rattle was coming from the side that was not welded.

I have a friend who is restoring a Old Dodge Dart, and I remember him telling me about this stuff he used to bond the quarter panels onto his car. He told me this stuff is stronger than the steel it is holding together. So I thought since the plate is not actually a structural part of the roll bar I would give this stuff a try.

I drove over to his house cleaned the area, and created a little gap under the plate. We them applied the stuff and forced it up under the plate and smoothed it out on the unwelded side of the plate.

Here is where the weeee part come is. We let the stuff dry for about a hour and a half, and then I headed home. Well the rattle is gone, but man does this stuff stink. By the time I got home I was high as a kite, and my vision was getting a little blured. This was even with the windows open all the way home.

I am sure by tomorow once this stuff fully cures the smell will go away. I sure hope it is gone by thursday, since I have a 10 hour ride to get to FFW in Ohio.

It is sure good to have the rattle fixed, looking back on it now the floor must have been rattling ever since I had the roll bar installed, cause now you would never be able to tell there is a roll bar installed. It is now so quiet, like it was before the roll bar.

I am a happy camper, but just a little stoned from those fumes.

Here is a pic of one of the plates before we fixed them

Old 07-07-2003 | 10:11 PM
After our phone call, you sounded like you had the rattle fixed. Glad it worked out for you Don.
Just look at the buzz as an added bonus

Old 07-07-2003 | 10:22 PM
Don, Am I understanding this correct, You drive to the events and not trailer ?

Simply amazing if thats the case. Ive always thought you have a Bad azz ride but this is amazing. Congrats to both you and JDM

Old 07-07-2003 | 10:27 PM
|
Yep I drove to Virginia the other weekend, and I am driving to Ohio this weekend.

I wish I had a tow vehical and a trailer, but I don't. So that forces me to drive the Lightning to those events.

I am sure I will be at E-town or Cecil this fall too.

Old 07-07-2003 | 10:41 PM
Was it called Multi Craft Epoxy Don ?
That stuff's the Schitt
I've put it on a gas tank that was leaking gas faster than you can put it in and it held for yrs and never leaked again, radiators, heater control valves, you name it.
The best kept secret about it is, it's perfect for repairing underwater leaks in your pool (believe me I know)

Either way
Glad to hear the rattle's gone

Old 07-07-2003 | 10:51 PM
|
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
Was it called Multi Craft Epoxy Don ?
That stuff's the Schitt

Either way
Glad to hear the rattle's gone
Don't know, but it is about the worst smelling stuff I have ever taken a wiff of, and man does it give you a headache. I thought the LS additive they put in or rear end smelt bad, but that had nothing on this stuff.

It is a two part system, that uses a special 2 piston caulking gun, and mixes in a special nozzle.

Quick Reply: Rattle is gone- weeee