Lightning

Went to the track today to go for 9s, and...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003 | 09:48 PM
whip
It would be the same process they used on the stock con rods
Dale

Old 07-18-2003 | 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Bad as L
whip
It would be the same process they used on the stock con rods
Dale
EWWWWWWW

Old 07-18-2003 | 10:45 PM
We @ JLP have built close to 50 JLP Engines. I'm not saying its not possible but i have yet to see 1 Cast Crank in the*stock* Lightning 5.4 engine...I believe something else made the crank break. not too much power... Maybe there was an issue with the balancer itself or it came loose.or maybe the wrong crank(cast) was put in the engine when it was built.i do know you have to be careful not to order the (cheaper) cast crank when purchasing the crank from ford they have 2 part #'s and they list the Cast crank as a Lightning crank but the price alone should tell us that its cast.(which dosn't belong in the lightning).So don't order the cheaper price crank.(which is cast).that crank belongs in the reg. 5.4 engines not the Lightning.. just a thought.......JL

Old 07-18-2003 | 11:12 PM
Now thats good news Johnny

I guess we all found out today that Ford does in fact show two cranks for the Lightning, unfortunatly it sounds like only the forged belongs in it. Which tells me plenty of stock wrrnty'd L's are out there with cast cranks because a Ford dealer ordered the cheap one. I'd bet my last breath that eventually some made there way to tuners for core exchange on a built block. Which would also answer the question on how Sal saw then in STOCK LIGHTNING'S.

It seems we also may of found out Sal just became the HP and Torque tester on the Cast Crank he bought, and I may say it pulled through with flying colors in my eyes.
But I really really hate to believe Ford told us we have a forged crank, but then snuck Cast Cranks in. I'm glad to hear you haven't seen any Johnny

I understand the "we can change what we want, when we want B/S Disclaimer they add" but I can't see them going Cast in 01, and then printing 02 Spec's showing Forged Cranks.
If they did I'm hoping Tim will get me a Mil or two for my suffering after finding this out

But I think maybe what we have is simply a cast crank put in a Lightning that finally let loose after major major HP and Torque put on it, yr after yr. No one can take away the fact that Sal became the worlds fastest Gen II. Nitrous or Not, he did it, we saw it, it's on film, etc.... That Motor has many runs on it, it's fast as schitt, maybe still the fastest, so if this cast crank took that for yr's, I say it's one hell of a Crank.

But I still better find out I have a forged crank since thats what the 02 specs show.

Old 07-18-2003 | 11:44 PM
rob, when a ford customer has the need for ford to replace the engine in a lightning the dealer will recieve that engine already assembled. therefor the dealer does not order the wrong crank at all. they just simply R&R the customers engine. I don't believe for 1 sec. that *any* ford lightning engine came with a cast crank..but i do believe there might have been cast cranks put in (rebuilt) engines by someone who didn't realize the difference......JL

Old 07-19-2003 | 01:20 AM
So who is right here?

Old 07-19-2003 | 06:47 AM
Hey Johnny, I got a Forged Crank
Maybe we should step up your tune a bit

Thanks for the info Johnny, I just read and see Sal did some checking and agrees that he bought the Cast Crank for him yes, but agrees it seems ALL L's came with Forged like you said.

I understand the dealer getting rebuilts with Forged Cranks,
my thought were maybe they did some rebuilts themselves and ordered Cast Cranks as replacements,
"because they were cheaper" ?

Either way, mistery solved, we all got Forged
if it's our original motors

Old 07-19-2003 | 10:38 PM
see there was no worry....
If you had a *cast* crank and a *forged* crank side by side you would see the difference between the 2 very easily...These cranks in these lightnings are really about the best *factory* *Forged* cranks i have ever seen..To be honest i'm surprised that ford actually used such a high quality crank. i believe these cranks will hold up well over a 1000 HP!.(i plan to find out very soon!)............. JL

Old 07-19-2003 | 11:09 PM
Rob, I can see this happening in a Ford Dealer but its highly unlikely to happen at a SVT Dealer. We all take SVT classes in order to know the differences between Reg Models Vs SVT Models. I also know our parts department is pretty good in double checking us on our parts.

Good Job Sal & JL

Its information like this that will get me to support your companies over others. You guys are envolved in all parts of our Lightning Communities, not just sales and help of your customers.

Old 07-20-2003 | 12:45 AM
Originally posted by BuzzzLightyear
Good Job Sal & JL ...

Its information like this that will get me to support your companies over others. You guys are envolved in all parts of our Lightning Communities, not just sales and help of your customers.
What he said !!!

Here's to ya Sal and Johnny !!!

Quick Reply: Went to the track today to go for 9s, and...