Lightning

Went to the track today to go for 9s, and...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003 | 03:47 PM
|
Went to the track today to go for 9s, and...

... I found the limits of the factory crank instead .

First pass down the track. Truck pulled like a ****, speedo showed over 110 at the 1/8, then poof! Truck just died, I pulled over because I didn't know if any oil let go. Back to the pits, pop the hood, turn the motor over, motor turns over, but balancer isn't spinning . Check the bolt, it was still tight, so it appears the crank must have snapped clean somewhere in the motor.

Last time on the dyno, the truck made 818 ft-lbs, and that was with the 112 at 18 psi. This time we were running the Works 140 at 24 psi. Probably closer to 925 ft-lbs, which is about 1060 ft-lbs at the motor using a 15% drivetrain loss value.

Stock crank, stock block, rods rated to 850, and off the shelf CP pistons, and they all lasted for over 2 years, and the CRANK failed. Not bad if you ask me. Guess I can't really complain, I sure can't think of any other factory crank from any manufacturer that's lived to 1000 ft-lbs of torque.

Oh well, nothing else is going right this year, might as well add this to the list.

Old 07-13-2003 | 03:49 PM
oh wow... that really sucks sal..

can i borrow your nitrous system while you rebuild? lol
i have to kill some firebirds.

Old 07-13-2003 | 04:22 PM
Re: Went to the track today to go for 9s, and...

Originally posted by LightningTuner
... I found the limits of the factory crank instead .

First pass down the track. Truck pulled like a ****, speedo showed over 110 at the 1/8, then poof!

Care to tell what it ran in the 1/8th ? that will give us a idea of how fast she was going to run ?

Truck just died, I pulled over because I didn't know if any oil let go. Back to the pits, pop the hood, turn the motor over, motor turns over, but balancer isn't spinning . Check the bolt, it was still tight, so it appears the crank must have snapped clean somewhere in the motor.

If motor turns and you dont hear any knock or loud noise, wouldnt you think it broke near the snout ? If so, maybe its time for a Turbo to avoid that problem.

Last time on the dyno, the truck made 818 ft-lbs, and that was with the 112 at 18 psi. This time we were running the Works 140 at 24 psi. Probably closer to 925 ft-lbs, which is about 1060 ft-lbs at the motor using a 15% drivetrain loss value.
Dont Automatic transmissions multiply TQ there for throwing the 15% loss out the window.

Oh well, nothing else is going right this year, might as well add this to the list.

Sorry to hear about the rough yr but Im sure you will be back and be back faster. At least you get to build your own engine, if it was us we gotta pay to have it done

Good Luck

Old 07-13-2003 | 04:25 PM
Is this the first crank on a Lightning to break?

Old 07-13-2003 | 04:49 PM
Smile

Sal
I think your right.....it is one of those years. When I get the engine back in my truck, I think I'm going to park it and wait for Jan '04 before I drive it.

Sounds like it was on a good one, sorry bout the breakage, maybe its time for one a them there stroker cranks
Dale

Old 07-13-2003 | 06:07 PM
holy

holy *****......

that's insane power.....

I always root for the underdog (since you don't have HUGE R&D budget (think JDM))

I hope you get it back together and are the first into the 9's.

BTW: check your E-mail,. I sent it about ordering partz that I need,

Old 07-13-2003 | 06:40 PM
would you be the 1st L in 9's? man that's fast. good luck, Shane

Old 07-13-2003 | 07:19 PM
Banned AGAIN For Using Our Galleries To Post Inappropriate Material
Originally posted by ShaneMcKenna203
First Gen 2 in the 9's...

Congrats Sal, that's amazingly fast. Time for a stronger crank, hurry up, now people will be gunning even harder for those 9's to beat you to it.

Old 07-13-2003 | 07:31 PM
breaking the crank isnt an easy task, for that you get

Great job sal, hope you get there, would have been awesome but hey, just time for another mod

And yeah, what was the time at the 8th, and is there a video?

Old 07-13-2003 | 07:34 PM
Originally posted by ShaneMcKenna203
Yes that would be the first 2nd gen into the 9's. I believe sal was also the first to hit 10's but im not sure on that, he nevertheless holds the record at 10.48 as the fastest 2nd gen L, and the 2nd fastest truck in its class i believe. The first is another guy with a first gen L that runs in the 7's i think (pump gas too right?) I hope someone verifies this but i think thats pretty much correct.

Old 07-13-2003 | 07:39 PM
Originally posted by grinomyte
Yes that would be the first 2nd gen into the 9's. I believe sal was also the first to hit 10's but im not sure on that, he nevertheless holds the record at 10.48 as the fastest 2nd gen L, and the 2nd fastest truck in its class i believe. The first is another guy with a first gen L that runs in the 7's i think (pump gas too right?) I hope someone verifies this but i think thats pretty much correct.
Jason Brown's truck still holds the record for the fastest Lightning I think.

Sal's currently has the fastest posted ET for a Gen 2 Lightning...

Old 07-13-2003 | 07:43 PM
Hey Sal....

Thanks for a least trying to set the bar higher. Good luck on your next attempt. Rumor has it there's a pretty "Nasty Lightning" down here in South Florida getting ready to dethrone ya... But until that happens your still the top dog.

Old 07-13-2003 | 07:46 PM
Re: Hey Sal....

Originally posted by litnfast
Thanks for a least trying to set the bar higher. Good luck on your next attempt. Rumor has it there's a pretty "Nasty Lightning" down here in South Florida getting ready to dethrone ya... But until that happens your still the top dog.
Well they'll both be running Works 140s but their suspension is a bit different. Guess we'll see....it'll be fun either way!

Old 07-13-2003 | 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear about that Sal. Check the flywheel bolts.

Aren't the Lightnings still using 6 bolts. If the crank busted at that kind of torque, I doub that the engine would still turn over. You would porbably see remnants of it through the windows on the the block.

Old 07-13-2003 | 07:54 PM
cyntaxx...

Gotta love Sal for at least having the nuts to say he was trying for the record. I don't know him but I do respect him and his efforts. And rogers on the different suspension.

Quick Reply: Went to the track today to go for 9s, and...