Lightning

cat-backs are no good??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003 | 06:01 PM
|
cat-backs are no good??

im looking to buy a MAC Catback for my 2000 L, i have some other mods on it already (chip,intake,pulley,shift kit) and ive done some reading and some people are saying that cat back dont do much to the performance level, im looking for something loud, and improves performance, but im on a $400 budget, i found the MAC catback for $268.99 at RPMOUTLET.COM and it says it improves hp by 24, and add 25 lbs of trq.!!!!! here is the link is this b/s?? they say they have dyno tested all of thier products for the most power.....let me know everyone....

MAC catback

Last edited by LeoGSVT; 07-16-2003 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2003 | 06:04 PM
Old 07-16-2003 | 06:04 PM
no but cat fronts are awesome.

Old 07-16-2003 | 07:32 PM
Re: cat-backs are no good??

Originally posted by LeoGSVT
im looking to buy a MAC Catback for my 2000 L, i have some other mods on it already (chip,intake,pulley,shift kit) and ive done some reading and some people are saying that cat back dont do much to the performance level, im looking for something loud, and improves performance, but im on a $400 budget, i found the MAC catback for $268.99 at RPMOUTLET.COM and it says it improves hp by 24, and add 25 lbs of trq.!!!!! here is the link is this b/s?? they say they have dyno tested all of thier products for the most power.....let me know everyone....

MAC catback
24 hp and 25 lbs. of torque from a MAC catback? I don't think so.

IMO, the MAC isn't the greatest quality and is not full stainless steel.
I prefer the Magnaflow C/B....I've heard all of the C/Bs and the Bassani and Magnaflow sound the best, with the JDM SB a close second/third. MAC sounds mean at WOT but not worth my 270 bucks.

Old 07-16-2003 | 07:46 PM
Banned
i have the REM catback and it did add a little top end not 24 hp, i overall like the mac for the price.

Old 07-16-2003 | 09:02 PM
Bassani..... if it wasn't so damn expensive.....

Old 07-16-2003 | 09:18 PM
Banned
We had MAC come out for our Dyno day. We added the CAI to a truck and lost 3 hp...

Then they added the catback to the truck and lost another 11 hp.

Needless to say, the MAC woman was pissed off.

Old 07-16-2003 | 10:43 PM
I've been reading these boards for 3 1/2 years and have yet to see any documented instance where a cat back added anything other than noise to a gen.2 Lightning. As ****, said, most of them result in losses. The same can be said of shortie headers (anyone want my JBAs?). The only exhaust mod with proven performance gains are the l.t. equal length headers.

Old 07-17-2003 | 01:45 PM
2003 LIGHTNING EXHAUST

THATS WHY I THINK MY STOCK EXHAUST IS BEST FOR SIMPLE MODS ITS TWINS AND SOUNDS GOOD ON MY LIGHTNING WHY CHANGE IT AND LOSE POWER

Old 07-17-2003 | 02:05 PM
Banned
Originally posted by alphadoggy
I've been reading these boards for 3 1/2 years and have yet to see any documented instance where a cat back added anything other than noise to a gen.2 Lightning. As ****, said, most of them result in losses. The same can be said of shortie headers (anyone want my JBAs?). The only exhaust mod with proven performance gains are the l.t. equal length headers.

Magnaflow catback does make power George. With the addition of high flow cats, they make even more power. Ill find out how much was made tomorrow afternoon when my truck comes back.

Reason why many catbacks dont offer a power increase is because no R&D went into the system.

Lets use Bassani for example. They are still using the same damn mufflers they came on my cobra, on their lighting kit. Sure, their kit may be appealing to the eye, but it doesnt generated power like the Magnaflow setup does. Its also twice as much $$.

Old 07-17-2003 | 02:10 PM
Re: 2003 LIGHTNING EXHAUST

Originally posted by tlfwatch
THATS WHY I THINK MY STOCK EXHAUST IS BEST FOR SIMPLE MODS ITS TWINS AND SOUNDS GOOD ON MY LIGHTNING WHY CHANGE IT AND LOSE POWER

*Bored at work*

Edit: come to think of it, thats so dumb and poorly done i must be really really bored at work.

Last edited by grinomyte; 07-17-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2003 | 02:32 PM
|
has any one been to RPMoutlet.com?? and looked at the MAC catback that is proven 24hp?? are they liars, if so why doesnt some one sue them! they have a hole page telling how every part is dyno tested and proven to improve that much hp!!!

Old 07-17-2003 | 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Flying ****
Magnaflow catback does make power George. With the addition of high flow cats, they make even more power. Ill find out how much was made tomorrow afternoon when my truck comes back.

Reason why many catbacks dont offer a power increase is because no R&D went into the system.

Lets use Bassani for example. They are still using the same damn mufflers they came on my cobra, on their lighting kit. Sure, their kit may be appealing to the eye, but it doesnt generated power like the Magnaflow setup does. Its also twice as much $$.
Interesting, Kev. If your dyno results back it up you will make a lot of people happy, and probably sell a lot of Magnaflows. I don't mind being proved wrong when it is to the benefit of the Lightning community.

Old 07-17-2003 | 03:05 PM
It's not that incredibly hard to make a dyno lie...you can mess with many things to make it say it gained power...Most everyone has already stated MAC does Not make power on L's....

Old 07-17-2003 | 03:08 PM
Banned
Magnaflow is a company based on integrity, not lies. Hell, their customer service speaks for itself. Compare that to the other companies out there.

Quick Reply: cat-backs are no good??