Lightning

Golf GTI 1.8T pullin on me

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SpankDog
This is a stock GTI...............right click save-as
http://spankdog.kicks-***.net/videos/hwyrundamir.mpg

APR stage 3 GTI..........................
http://spankdog.kicks-***.net/videos...hatgotaway.mpg

All i had was intake and exhast.
After seeing those vids. . . the g/f's next car will definitely be a GTI 1.8T. . . with APR stage 3 of course. With the GTI at right around $20k and the stage 3 kit under $4k, that is a sick little car for $24k

Old 07-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Does anyone know if that Stage 3 upgrade from APR is available for the 1.8T Jetta as well??? Also, you mention $4K for the kit..............is there any additional bottom end work required to take the additional boost?

Does anyone have a website for APR?

JC

Old 07-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Banned
Originally posted by bodawg
After seeing those vids. . . the g/f's next car will definitely be a GTI 1.8T. . . with APR stage 3 of course. With the GTI at right around $20k and the stage 3 kit under $4k, that is a sick little car for $24k
I'll double check with my VW buddies to make sure that was the stage 3, but yea that was a bad *** car. Never got to see it run the 1/4 though cause he broke an axle if i remember correctly.

http://www.goapr.com/

and for the jetta......
http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/stage3_trans.html

Last edited by SpankDog; 07-18-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know if that Stage 3 upgrade from APR is available for the 1.8T Jetta as well???
Yes, I believe it's all 1.8T engines.

Also, you mention $4K for the kit..............
APR is raising the price of the kit, how much I don't know.

is there any additional bottom end work required to take the additional boost?
Engine no, transmission yes. A better clutch will be needed very quickly with that much power. A LSD will be very helpfull in putting it to the ground.

www.goapr.com I think

Old 07-18-2003, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the VW 1.8T's are quick with an aftermarket kit. I ran across one Wed nite. It was a Jetta, not a GTI. He was quick 60mph and higher and once the turbos spooled up. I buried him off the line, though.

It'd be fun for a daily driver I suppose.

Old 07-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Jetta & Golf both use the same kit, since, after all, they are the same car. Current price on the kit is $3995, and like captian said, a new clutch and limited slip diff. would be wise investments.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by captainoblivious
Does anyone know if that Stage 3 upgrade from APR is available for the 1.8T Jetta as well???
Yes, I believe it's all 1.8T engines.

Also, you mention $4K for the kit..............
APR is raising the price of the kit, how much I don't know.

is there any additional bottom end work required to take the additional boost?
Engine no, transmission yes. A better clutch will be needed very quickly with that much power. A LSD will be very helpfull in putting it to the ground.

www.goapr.com I think
Thanks captain................I'm forwarding the info to my Jetta buddy as we speak...............I think I'll make him drool a lil' bit...........

He's gonna freek when he sees that video...............They are nice cars..........I like both the GTI and the Jetta. It's unfortunate that the exhaust work will make it sound ricey, but I know with the upped boost, the exhaust is definitely necessary. I'd love to have one for a daily driver............but then again, I MUST HAVE A NON-MODDABLE DAILY DRIVER................otherwise, I know I'd be modding for sure.............hence my '89 T-bird.

JC

Old 07-19-2003, 11:03 AM
It's unfortunate that the exhaust work will make it sound ricey,
Honestly it's not that bad. There are some decent sounding exhausts and some tolerable ones out there. Personally I wish somebody would make them that are as quiet as stock and still give the nice HP/TQ gains, but it is a 4 banger in the important scene.

Anyway the problem with the exahuasts are the friggin prices!

SS downpipes start at $350
SS catbacks start at around $500

And you get what you pay for most of the time, so your looking at an easy $1k for a decent exhaust.

and the exhaust that came with mine is ugly, is not SS and has a leak ....

Old 07-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by SpankDog
This is a stock GTI...............right click save-as
http://spankdog.kicks-***.net/videos/hwyrundamir.mpg

APR stage 3 GTI..........................
http://spankdog.kicks-***.net/videos...hatgotaway.mpg

All i had was intake and exhast.
It seems that both those runs were done above 65 mph. If you are over 65 mph the truck isn't going to down shift for its full potential. You did downshift from over drive (4th gear) to 3rd but if you are under 65 mph the truck will downshift to 2nd gear and pull much harder. Had the second run started below 65 mph I believe you would have taken him.

Old 07-19-2003, 02:58 PM
Banned
Originally posted by PoneyXpres
It seems that both those runs were done above 65 mph. If you are over 65 mph the truck isn't going to down shift for its full potential. You did downshift from over drive (4th gear) to 3rd but if you are under 65 mph the truck will downshift to 2nd gear and pull much harder. Had the second run started below 65 mph I believe you would have taken him.

yea i know we were just playing around, all i had was intake and exhaust so i wasnt much more than stock anyways.

Old 07-19-2003, 08:38 PM
DL
OK,

I couldn't help it. I ordered mod's before my 03 GTI VR6 daily driver car arrived.

Techtonics SS exhaust, dual 2.5" tips, a little bigger than stock, but not Ricer. Eurosport Racing Cold Air intake, 1.5" H&R Sport lowering springs, Koni Adjustable shocks, Shine Racing rear sway bar. It's all sitting in the garage, awaiting a few break in miles.

I said I wasn't going to mod it, but once you own a Lightning, any other car you drive will never satisfy you, unless it's modded.

I need a chip...

Old 07-28-2003, 11:33 PM
Yep... I should be in 13's with my 3" TB. Still gives me 30+ mpg on my daily commutes....

Sleeper style

Old 07-28-2003, 11:59 PM
Those 4 banger VW motors are good motors. When you start to up the boost on those stock turbos they do tend to glow in the dark. I don't think the turbo will last too long in that configuration. To do it right requires a biger turbo and larger intercooler. This was discussed at length in European car. I used to own a VW back in the day with aftermarket turbo, everything was reliable except the turbo.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by PoneyXpres
Still even the truck didn't downshift, there should be a point where it start keeping up or start pulling. Looking at the second video, car was pulling the whole time...

Quick Reply: Golf GTI 1.8T pullin on me