Lightning

Anyone see the SS review in the paper this morning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003 | 09:04 PM
|
Anyone see the SS review in the paper this morning?

Syndicated columnist reviewed the SS Silverado and had
a hard time justifying spending the 43,000 for the truck,
even with all the bling and the comfort. He "dinged" it
for road noise, high entry height, and generally said if
you spend that much you should get more like a luxury car.

And it lacks horsepower against our's (of course)

But it does have full time AWD ...

Interesting year, whot?

Old 07-19-2003 | 10:24 PM
I truly don't think another MFG can top the
ALL AROUND PACKAGE
of our L's.

I mean come on,
It's really hot looking,
fairly high tech
fast as Schitt,
handles surprising well, if not awesome
has a comfortable ride
simple, but beautiful interior
all the comforts of a new car
and it hauls wood as good as ***
NOT TO MENTION THE EATON

I mean come on, look at it
PERFECTION at a reasonable price

Old 07-19-2003 | 10:34 PM
I agree with him for 43K I'll keep my L and buy a used 4x4 for the winter, my first thought is " what is Chevy thinking" I'm a car guy and I don't care who makes it, a cool ride is a cool ride and I don't think to many off us would throw a Vette out of the driveway but if they made this vehicle to compete againt us why the price tag? and while all wheel drive is cool why not a standard cab, rear wheel drive? who's the target market? Yet another atempt to reinvent the wheel, if they offered a 385hp small block in a standard cab 2 wheel drive at say 27K I bet they would sell well, plus GM would get alot of mag coverage, L vs. GM which I'm sure would get more people into the dealerships. Someone making way to much money blew this one and should be available to take your order at the motown Mcdonalds soon.

Old 07-19-2003 | 10:37 PM
$43,000 for a chevy...is he crazy!!!! You know what CHEVROLET stands for:
Cheap Heap Every Valve Rattle Oil Leak Every Time....

Old 07-19-2003 | 11:20 PM
FuB
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
I truly don't think another MFG can top the
ALL AROUND PACKAGE
of our L's.

I mean come on,
It's really hot looking,
fairly high tech
fast as Schitt,
handles surprising well, if not awesome
has a comfortable ride
simple, but beautiful interior
all the comforts of a new car
and it hauls wood as good as ***
NOT TO MENTION THE EATON

I mean come on, look at it
PERFECTION at a reasonable price
only downside is that is goes through gas like you wouldn't believe....

Old 07-20-2003 | 12:38 AM
|
Originally posted by FuB
only downside is that is goes through gas like you wouldn't believe....
And tires !!!

Old 07-20-2003 | 01:01 AM
Ya, $43k is definitely NOT worth it. I'd pay $43k for the SRT-10 though...

Old 07-20-2003 | 09:39 AM
As Ive sais many times,For the $$,Car or truck,our trucks are an absolute BARGAIN.So Is the Cobra.

A "sport" truck in NO WAY should have,A rear seat,ex cab,awd or a price tag of 43K.All the SS is is a 4wd truck with a fancy paint scheme and a set of 20s.Its not even lowered or nothing.You can make your own 'SS" for $WELL under 30K. The 5.3 in a short box will smoke a SS.Ive had a couple and got down to 14.7 @97 with $500 worth of mods!!

Old 07-20-2003 | 10:39 AM
Our trucks are priced about right considering the number that are produced each year. Once you get into the 40 grand area, I wouldn't choose any pickup over a Vette, or several other "sports cars". Anyway, the SS matches up pretty damned well with the Harley don't you think? AWD added to the equation makes the price difference about right. Not that I would buy one.

Edmonds
Harley Davidson F150 S/C

Like a custom Harley with a seriously built V-twin, this truck is aces at pulling hard in a straight line, and that tranny does a good job of changing up through the gears quickly. At the test track, this pickup put down some pretty impressive numbers; the 0-to-60-mph dash took only 6.3 seconds and the quarter-mile was a done deal in under 15 seconds (14.7 at 94 mph).
C/D TEST RESULTS
Silverado SS

ACCELERATION (Seconds)
Zero to 30 mph: 1.9
40 mph: 3.0
50 mph: 4.6
60 mph: 6.3
70 mph: 8.3
80 mph: 10.7
90 mph: 14.8
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.8
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 3.4
50-70 mph: 4.3
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.8 sec @ 90 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 109 mph

Edmonds price quote for a fully loaded SS with On Star, Stereo upgrade w/ XM radio....$41,845 MSRP.... $36,693Invoice.... $37,792 True Market Value.

Last edited by Odin's Wrath; 07-20-2003 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2003 | 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Lightningquick
A "sport" truck in NO WAY should have,A rear seat,ex cab,awd or a price tag of 43K.
I agree with all of this except the AWD... 2 words... syclone... Typhoon (forgive me on spelling)

both wicked trucks for their day or heck even wicked compared to the new GM sport truck

Old 07-20-2003 | 03:20 PM
All I have to add to this conversation is....
Top Speed 109 mph.

BaaHaaaaaaHaaaaaaa!

Dude, ya wanna race? Just don't go to fast, cause my truck cuts out at 109!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2003 | 03:37 PM
Yeah but you know just as well as I do that that can be fixed...

my only point was that the syclone and typhoons were and still are nice quick rides.. besides the corvette I think they are the only decent things to come out of GM in past 2-3 decades

I think that is the only thing that could make the lightning more interesting is to make it AWD... but then got the added weight problem but the added traction would be fun

Old 07-20-2003 | 09:23 PM
Yes with all the power of the sy and ty's,you needed AWD BUT,Our Ls hook up great 2wd.Anybody who knows about those trucks will tell you they run very strong for 800ft and run out of steam quick.On top of that,They are pretty tired after 50K and really cannot take alot of abuse or you start breaking half shafts.They were ahead of its time when they came out but not no more.

I drove one a few months ago and our trucks are so much more refined than those!!!The difference in ride,comfort are so much different and better in out trucks.The sy drives like a "S10 with a hot motor"

Old 07-20-2003 | 09:52 PM
Cycline and Typhoon are great vehicles and a blast to drive, what made them worth the 25k was that at the time they were quicker than just about any american production vehicle, the SS is as far as I'm concerned a dissapointment in the performance depertment, it's lots of show and no go, 43K for a performance vehicle that really comes up short, add a blower, and I'm sure someone has one in the works by now and I'm sure it will help turn the tables a bit but that brings it up what another 5k with labor and the extras, now 48K to turn a low 13, upper 12's?

Old 07-20-2003 | 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Odin's Wrath
Our trucks are priced about right considering the number that are produced each year. Once you get into the 40 grand area, I wouldn't choose any pickup over a Vette, or several other "sports cars". Anyway, the SS matches up pretty damned well with the Harley don't you think? AWD added to the equation makes the price difference about right. Not that I would buy one.
And some of us wouldn't choose any sports car over a pick-up. They are just expensive toys with little or no utility. Let's see a 'vette tow my boat, or bring home some 4x8 sheets of CDX. Of course, if I had lots of bucks I'd get a Lotus Exige for my auto-x car, and save the Lightning for towing and the strip.

Quick Reply: Anyone see the SS review in the paper this morning?