Lightning

Traction problems, is it my pinion angle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003 | 06:58 PM
|
Traction problems, is it my pinion angle?

Well, I want to set up my rear suspension geometry. First off since I went to the Nitto drag radials and added the upper 1 which adds actually 2 due to my lower 5/6 (Old Metco) my 60's suck.

I ran a 12.935 @ 110.32 with a 2.046 60 ft. With that MPH I should be easy in the mid 1.7 (Eventhough that was a freaky MPH, I let the truck do a nice cool down) I'm gunning for the Long tubes this week and doing the converter so the truck should really fly but I need to get it to the pavement.

What should the pinion angle be? Do you have to angle the differential down? What about a preload on my lower Metcos? I have a set of 2 degree wedges from Mr. Gasket. I'm getting some hop off the line. Once I'm on a roll she goes well.

I used to run 12.75 @ 107.5 1.85 60 (Pre upper and Heat exchanger & 3" JLP shackles) with 26" ET streets.

Could the 3" JLP shackles have thrown the angle out of wack???

Last edited by JewishLightning; 07-27-2003 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2003 | 08:55 PM
I think the shackles is a possibility. I put 2" shackles on and after that my 60fts went up dramatically. Only change I did. Haven't been able to confirm it as I switched traction bars due to getting a Bassani.

Old 07-27-2003 | 09:17 PM
If you are running the Upper Metcos; yes they need to be pre-loaded or you will have excessive wheel hop. I preloaded mine 2 turns clockwise and locked them. No wheel hop.

Ron

Old 07-27-2003 | 10:22 PM
|
Nah Ron, I got the lower ones.

BTW, Macon GA. Is that near Moody AFB or is that Valdosta? It's been a while since I had sectional map and saw an MOA.

I see you are an O-5

Old 07-28-2003 | 12:01 AM
Originally posted by JewishLightning
Nah Ron, I got the lower ones. . .
I have the lowers also. They should be at least slightly preloaded (maybe one turn) no matter what.

Old 07-28-2003 | 12:29 AM
You just can't drive!
Ideally, the angles between the transmission output shaft and driveshaft, and between the driveshaft and the pinion will be equal and opposite. In other words the extended centerlines of the transmission and rear end should be paralell. A couple of additional degree's snout down should be added to compensate for the pinion rising under launch.

But I told you that already...............

We will fix it this week you ***!

Eric

Old 07-28-2003 | 01:49 AM
Ideally, you dont want to run more than a 4 to 6 inch pinion angle on the street due to the large amount of tension on the leafs will make for a very rough ride and will actually raise the back of your truck...with slicks its a different story..Id run an 8 degree p-angle at the track....but let owheelies get his hands in there, heeeel hook you up, hes a goood man I tell you...

Old 07-28-2003 | 03:45 AM
Banned
Funny you asked because im going to be checking my pinion angle as well. I think when i had the left rear seal replaced, my pinion angle may have gotten jacked up.

I talked to SAL about this this morning. He said between -3 and -4 is where the pinion angle should be.

I was only pulling a 1.92 60 this week at the track AFTER installing rancho's. Granted, they were on an 8 inch wheel, but that is still a sorry *** 60 for slicks. So, one thing im checking this week is indeed the pinion angle.

Old 07-28-2003 | 06:16 AM
Looks like pinion angle will be responsable for at least a case of beer this week...........
Funny you mentioned the seals. Looks like I'm due for that procedure too. When washing the truck I noticed a liitle dripage.
"Looks like you blew a seal."
"Leave my personal life out of it and fix the damn thing!"

seals+maybe 3:73's+plugs+check my own pinion angle=time for a Beermeister

Eric

Old 07-28-2003 | 06:59 AM
Banned
My seal literally exploded

Check em out though

Old 07-28-2003 | 09:09 AM
http://www.paulshp.com/lightning.htm

Shackle Kit - drops back of truck approximately 2" so truck sits level but more important the pinion angle is increased from 0-2° negative which makes the truck hook a lot better. Poly-bushings included with shackles.

Quick Reply: Traction problems, is it my pinion angle?