Lightning

Transmission temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003 | 10:31 AM
Originally posted by promodlightning
Man, your running toooo hot, Id definately put a nice big 24000 gvw cooler in your truck....
I'd like to see what the temps on your truck is at the track after a few burnouts... I'll bet they aren't 140°.

Old 07-29-2003 | 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Factory_Tech
That's a reaqlly good cooler and will work fine, the hardwar is the same as the one I sell, finding a fitting that goes from 3/8 NPT inverted flare to AN-6 was a real problem, I eneded up going to SAE-6, which is still 3/8 ID but has a bigger nut, still hard to find but doable. I didn't use that cooler becuase in some cases it's too much cooling, if you're out in the winter you may never get your fluid up to 125 degrees which is the minimum you want to run it. I ended up using a much smaller unit that still has stacked plate low pressure drop design, which is a whole lot better at cooling than a fin and tube setup. Mine comes with all the hardware you need for most models, some will need adaptors that you can get at Autozone for a few dollars, and I throw in braided stainless hoses, I get $165 for the setup, and it when I get the spin on filter done the hardware will match up to add it straight in later. That would also work for this one, too, they have the same hardware, but if you have this you may need to get more hoses.
Tim, if you need some hardware to hook tha bad boy up, drop me a line and I'll get you some stuff out for it.

G
He returns! Welcome back, Gregg.

I'm confused. Overcooling? I thought that you previously said that the tranny would not route the fluid out to the cooler lines unless the temp reached a certain point (130?)? Should I remove or bypass the stock auxiliary cooler? (In SoCal, I never see temps below 50 degrees). Or just use the tranny cooler as the world's largest power steering cooler?

On the hardware side, I have been told that 3/8" SAE female brake line adapters should do the job. I plan on getting two such connectors, and then cutting the tubing to size and flaring the ends, using 11/32" Perma-Cool tranny hose and double hose clamps.

I installed the Perma-Cool remote filter this weekend:

With 12,000 miles on the odo, the filter should be the last thing before the fluid goes back in the tranny, right? So, because I'm too lazy to go look, which is the return line to the tranny (I know either from the radiator cooler or aux cooler, but which one and which line?)?

Sorry for all of the questions, but you are the oracle of all things 4R100.

p.s. - I would have bought your cooler, but I thought it was Predator-type vaporware -- I kept checking your forum.

Old 07-29-2003 | 11:09 AM
. . .I ended up using a much smaller unit that still has stacked plate low pressure drop design, which is a whole lot better at cooling than a fin and tube setup. . . .
One more thing, if you look at the above cooler (or even the stock cooler) carefully, they appear to be a hybrid design. The traditional tube-and-fin cooler uses a single fluid line zig-zagged across the fins. The causes low effectiveness, as the fluid is cooled the most during the first part of the flow path, where the temperature differential is the greatest. Just like why routing two heat exchangers in series results in 50% lower effectiveness for the second cooler.

In stacked plate designs, there are multiple parallel fluid paths, with each of the paths being roughly equally effective (and the fluid moves more slowly through them, giving longer contact time).

These hybrid designs (like a lot of the high-end Mocal and Fluidyne coolers) seem to use tiny little fins like a tube-and-fin, but multiple flow paths like a stacked plate.

My logic says that this is the best of both worlds, but that's just bench racing. I've never tested any of them.

Okay, confession time -- I bought the SD cooler not because of any if the above, but just 'cuz I think it looks bad-*ss.

Old 07-29-2003 | 02:53 PM
|
Originally posted by easterisland
I'd like to see what the temps on your truck is at the track after a few burnouts... I'll bet they aren't 140°.
Ill do some burnouts tonight for you and get you temp. numbers, I know Ill be hotter but with the addition of my new BM supercooler I will hopefully see a difference.....

Old 07-29-2003 | 03:17 PM
As was stated - Once the Engine reaches operating temp. The tranny fluid ( even with HUGE external cooler ) will be kept near what ever the coolant temp is. You can see the trans line that runs into the radiator for cooling.

Coolant temp will remain around 170-190 so even if the external cooler gets it down to 130 - the trip thru the radiator will raise it back up some.

Doug

Old 07-29-2003 | 03:38 PM
You're right Doug. On the freeway the tranny temp is usually a little lower than the cylinder head temp after maybe an hour warm up drive. The tranny temps really rise quick when hot lapping at the track w/o cool down. My cooler with fan do little to nothing to cool down these temps.

Old 07-30-2003 | 02:49 AM
You can most of the time bypass the engine radiator, when it's below 50 outside it is more of a fluid preheater than a cooler. The transmission cooler is downstream of it.
In southern CA you'll be fine with the superduty one, it was designed for the diesel model of the same transmission. On the fittings for yours Tim, you can flair your own, I just avoided selling them like that because some people can't do it, or do it well, the brake lines will work fine, a few of my test units are plumbed like that, I just didn't want to sell them that way. I have a fitting place make me some fittings that are the inverted flare on one end and SAE-6 on the other, which lets me easily go straight to braided hose with AN-6 on the other end, and from there it's easy. That little fitting is what caused me all my headaches, I had it in my mind I wanted AN fitting all the way, but when I got over that it was easy, just a matter of having hoses made with AN on one end ands SAE on the other.

G

Old 07-30-2003 | 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Why not pick the spot that Ford picked?

This is the massive cooler from an F250 Super Duty. Uses 3/8 brake line, so some adapting is required. I ordered one a couple of days ago. About $110.
Tim you wouldn't happen to have that Ford cooler part number? Also are you going through the factory cooler or just going with the bigger F250 cooler?

Old 07-30-2003 | 06:33 PM
Originally posted by JeffsLightning
Tim you wouldn't happen to have that Ford cooler part number? Also are you going through the factory cooler or just going with the bigger F250 cooler?
XC3Z-7A095-CA

I haven't made up my mind yet on the routing. I am going to take measurements and find the best combo of fast warmup/stable temps/lowest high temps/simplest installation. I'm sure it will end up looking like a science project gone bad.

Old 07-30-2003 | 09:08 PM
I'm sure it will end up looking like a science project gone bad.
LOL...Thanks for the info...

Old 07-31-2003 | 12:27 AM
XC3Z-7A095-CA

Tim that number comes up for a 5.4 engine.. I thought the cooler you have was for a diesel F250?

Old 07-31-2003 | 03:58 AM
I think the same number is used on several models of the Super Duty, with all 3 engines.

G

Old 07-31-2003 | 11:00 AM
I think the same number is used on several models of the Super Duty, with all 3 engines.

G
That is correct. I have verified with fordpartsonline that this is the correct # for the cooler pictured. The brown truck driver should be placing it in my hands today.

Old 11-03-2004 | 03:30 PM
don't mean to drag up an old post, but...

Tim,

what did you do about adapting this cooler to fit your truck?

did you use the factory cooler as well, or switch it to cool something else?

EDIT:

nevermind i found it:
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...er_install.htm

Last edited by brain bypass; 11-03-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2004 | 04:09 PM
Originally posted by brain bypass
don't mean to drag up an old post, but...

Tim,

what did you do about adapting this cooler to fit your truck?

did you use the factory cooler as well, or switch it to cool something else?
It's still not hooked up, so I can't say. I still have not yet decided on whether to keep the stock cooler. But the only switch would be to make the stock tranny cooler into a power steering cooler.

Quick Reply: Transmission temperatures