Lightning

Hole Punch for Tranny Pan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003 | 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Konig
Well seeing as I have never changed it out before Im sure I would make a mess that way... would rather lose the 30$ pan
It's junk. Poke that puppy and place it in the circular file with extreme prejudice.

Leave the tranny sitting for a long time after it has drained. That will minimize the drippage.

To remove the stock pan, get two towels and cover your upper body. Then, after the pan is removed, take a third towel and wipe everything down. Done this way, you will make very minimal mess.

I used a little RTV to hold the gasket in place on the B&M -- it wants to keep moving around while you are attempting to get it centered.

Last tip: make sure to set the truck up HIGH on the jackstands. That B&M is heavy and you will need full use of your arms to hold it in place while you start the first couple of bolts.

Old 07-30-2003 | 02:36 AM
I wouldn't use RTV, but I do have a trick, get a threaded rod the same thread as the pan bolts, cut it into 3-4 sections about an inch long and screw these into the bolt holes, use them to line everything up as you put the pan back, thread in a few bolts and remove the pins, works great keeping the gasket lined up and getting the first few bolts in.

G

Old 07-30-2003 | 10:39 AM
|
What is RTV? I figured I would get the 2 extreme corners on then the rest should be easy enough.

Greg: I got the gauge just so you know, Im going to try to do everything on sat. .. I have a few questions though.

1. Im assuming I need to have the rear on stands right?
2. How is it that I can watch the gauge and run the truck, should I bring over a few people to help with it?

Old 07-31-2003 | 04:07 AM
I usually doit with the tranny on a dyno, but in a truck...

Get someone you REALLY TRUST
Put it up on jackstands
hook up the guage and start the engine
The book I put in the box has the procedure for checking the pressures, just run it through the gears and see if the pressures fall in the ranges during the engage.
I forget exactly what your problem was, but after you chart the pressures I can help you figure it out.

G

Old 07-31-2003 | 10:26 AM
|
alright, shouldnt be a problem. The reason I wanted to check the line pressure was because I ran a chip programed for increased pressure for about 22-25k miles before I removed it. Was wanting to make sure the pump is alright... and anything else you can think of to check.

Old 07-31-2003 | 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Konig
What is RTV? I figured I would get the 2 extreme corners on then the rest should be easy enough.
RTV is silicon gasket material (any auto parts store has multiple selections). I think Gregg said don't use it because I wasn't clear that it was not being used to make a seal, but rather just a couple of dollops in a couple of the screw holes (none of the RTV would get on the sealing surfaces).

Hell, bubble gum would would just as well.

Old 08-01-2003 | 04:13 AM
That should be fine, but I could tell you stories about people who put about a quart on the pan, a pint on the fill tube, a half a cup on the CBV, people go nuts with it. The problem is if a little tiny piece of it breaks free it'll eventually get into the valve bodies and that causes big problems.

G

Quick Reply: Hole Punch for Tranny Pan?