Lightning

Truck Died on Road

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003 | 04:16 PM
what year is the truck, and how many miles are on it? thanks, Shane

Old 08-01-2003 | 04:34 PM
If it was my truck I'd remove all of the clamps and hose and make sure nothing is inside the hose. Maybe remove the filter and blow through the line. Sounds like something is in there causing a resriction and pushing the pump off.

Old 08-01-2003 | 06:33 PM
another problem that you might want to check out is somethin as simple as the barbed fitting on the pump... i know i've seen pumps that had the barbs worn down for some strange reason...that might be another reason for the line blowing off

Old 08-01-2003 | 07:49 PM
good thread. sorry for the troubles.

Old 08-04-2003 | 08:40 AM
|
The pumps (from RPM Outlet) came within 16 hours of my call (Texas to Michigan). They were different on the bottom and I had to grind the holding bracket for the larger intake with a Dremil and cut the bottom out of the rubber isolation boot to make them fit. The outlet nipple has a big, machined piece on the end to keep the supply hose from coming off. They plugged into the existing wiring. I changed the filter and headed off to open road where it pulled strong to the rev limiter several times.

I’ve had a long term problem with a falloff in performance above 4,500 RPMs. I’ve also gotten lean codes off and on that were usually cured by a new fuel filter and a bottle of Techron. I’m wondering if it might have been fuel starvation. I understand that the fuel pressure is supposed to raise under boost. If the regulator was bad, fuel pressure wouldn’t jump up to meet the increased demand at high RPM. Maybe the new, higher volume pumps mask this symptom. Or could it be that one of the pumps I took out had failed some time ago and I was just running on one (which couldn’t keep up when the regulator called for more pressure)? I’m going to test both original pumps and do a driving fuel pressure test to see if anything is amiss.

Old 08-04-2003 | 08:44 AM
Glad to hear you're up and running - even better than before!

Great thread, very informative!

Old 08-04-2003 | 09:00 AM
Thanks for all the helpful info. Hopefully that fixed it for good.

Old 08-04-2003 | 10:24 AM
Originally posted by RedComet
another problem that you might want to check out is somethin as simple as the barbed fitting on the pump... i know i've seen pumps that had the barbs worn down for some strange reason...that might be another reason for the line blowing off
There is no barb fitting on the pump.

Old 08-04-2003 | 03:01 PM
Well...I thought that I would just add myself to the list. I was coming home from work the other night and the pump died on my 03. Oh well....a tow and 15 minutes later I have a lovely Taurus rental car for my long trip. They checked the pressure at the schrader valve and it was only at about 10 psi. Lines were all connected so they are pulling the tank and ordering a couple of new pumps. Should be ready for tomorrow.

Oh well...hopefully this is only a 1 time thing for me. I had way too many problems with my 99 Bolt and I don't want to go through that again.

Paul G.

Old 08-05-2003 | 12:25 PM
|
Here is the only clear picture I took where you can see what's going on:

This is the second time it came out (after I'd replaced the clamps on both pumps) You can see the smooth blue plastic outlet tube and the supply hose that came off just to the right (with the screw clamp still on).

Here is a not so clear shot of the new pump(s):

You can see the metal outlet tube with a separate machined nipple on the upper right.

Last edited by DHFerguson; 08-05-2003 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2003 | 11:36 AM
Good Info.

Quick Reply: Truck Died on Road