Lightning

Sub Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sub Help

I wanted to install a MTX truck Box with 2 JL 10'' W3-2's with some kind of amp don't know how big of amp or what name brand that I need. Here is the problem. Do I need a 2 or 4 channel amp and what dose ohm's mean, what's better 2, 4, or 6 ohms. It will be hooked up to the factory radio. Are there any thing else that i might need, like what size RCA/Speaker wire do I need. Better yet is someone willing to write a how too subject to a sub install.

Old 08-02-2003, 05:07 PM
for wires always go with monster cables

its like insurance you know oyu are getting quality

what is the rms on the subs and what do you want to run it at

Old 08-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will need a line level converter to convert the stock HU signal to RCAs.

You can really run whatever ohms you want, it is more a factor of finding a proper amp/sub combination where the amp is stable at the ohm level and the sub is meant/able to be driven at that ohm.

-Kimball

Old 08-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Most amplifiers are only stable to a 4 ohm mono load, so if that is the case with the amp you're looking at ytou would want dual 6 ohm speakers. Monster Cable is not nessecarily the best for car audio. We used to do monster car audio, but instead now keep them just with home audio. I prefer Stinger interconnects personally.

Old 08-02-2003, 06:54 PM
Why the hell would he want dual 6 ohm speakers? With those he can only run 12 or 3 ohms. I hope you hit the wrong key. but anyway.

I personnaly run 2 Memphis ST104D dual 4ohm voive coil subs at 1ohm mono. I am extremely happy with them and would recommend them to anybody. I have recently switched to the MTX box and it has handled my 550 whats per sub fine.

I would either get 2 2ohm single voice coil subs and run at 4ohm by wiring them in series.

-OR-

Get 2 4ohm Dual voice coil (DVC) subs and run them at 1 ohm, or at 4 ohm. These subs will allow for greater versatility in wiring, just as any DVC will allow.

Ideal situation for you would be to get 2 DVC 4ohm subs and then run them at 4 ohm, unless you get a amp that is stable to 1ohm. In that case you might as well run the extra juice.

Just make sure you compare specs and the subs can handle the power you throw at them. Underpowering your subs may actually be more dangerous than overpowering them. Try to get as close to the RMS ratings on the subs as possible.

If I can be of any further help or if you need any sort of clarification, please contact me.

-Kimball

Last edited by zbornac; 08-02-2003 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:13 PM
2 2ohm speakers in parallel would yield 1 ohm not the 4 ohms you stated. I think you meant in series. I hope you hit the wrong key. But anyway...

How are you running two 4 ohm speakers at 1 ohm ?

You dont want 2 6 ohm speakers. Hell I dont even know if anyone makes a 6 ohm speaker ? ? Just get a good amp and some 4 ohm woofers and you will be golden. Depending on how much bass you need/want, you could always try something like the Infinity Basslink powered sub. The Basslink has speaker level inputs too. Good Luck

Oh yeah, how exactly is the root mean square of the woofers measured ? I think you guys are refering to how many watts of power the woofers are rated to handle.

Last edited by guerro; 08-02-2003 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:44 PM
thanks for correcting me on that series/parallel mix up. Fixed it in the last post.

How are you running two 4 ohm speakers at 1 ohm ?
The subs I am running are dual voice coil 4 ohm, I wire each sub individually in parallel, then connect the two subs together in parallel. resulting in 1 ohm.

-Kimball

Old 08-02-2003, 09:58 PM
Ahh dual voice coil. very interesting.