Lightning

Advice on adding Long Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003 | 03:15 AM
don't get them unless you get ported heads. waste of money. get a pulley.

Old 08-04-2003 | 03:27 AM
Originally posted by bad00
Promod what pulley combo are you running? I love the sound of the long tubes!!!!IMO pulley's make more power then anything else on these trucks!!!
I run a 8# lower and a 2.5# upper...If the longtubes gave us 0 hp....I think the sound alone would become appealing to us.....

Old 08-04-2003 | 03:39 AM
Originally posted by promodlightning
I run a 8# lower and a 2.5# upper...If the longtubes gave us 0 hp....I think the sound alone would become appealing to us.....
true that. i would love some long tubes for the sound. . i just can't justify spending that amount of money for very little hp increase on stock motor. If it was a built motor with ported heads, go for it. My exhaust combo has cost me some torque and prob hp, even on nitrous. Thinking about upping boost.

Old 08-04-2003 | 03:47 AM
This my point of view on this issue. The thing that restricts the exhaust are the convertors (4). If you put long tubes and still use the convertors or even hi-flow cats its a waist of money. I run stock exhaust with no convertors and I felt a difference. It revs better and better top end. Theres a theory about back pressure that I really havent seen it proved. I would use L/Ts once you get serious and start making serious boost. Atleast 18# plus.

Old 08-04-2003 | 03:47 AM
Banned
Seems the LT's dont make power until you really start pushing boost levels of 18psi or higher. Add them to ported heads and cams and you will see they make great power. Just not a worth wild mod for the $$ when your doing your basic mods from the beginning.

Old 08-04-2003 | 08:25 AM
I love the sound of them and would do it again if given the choice, but the price is pretty steep though. When I ride in my friend's L with stock exhaust, it's like I am sitting in a library compared to mine. When riding in mine, it's like I am at a live Metallica show. That's the only way I can really compare it.

As for the install...get plenty of beer and patience. If you have never done it before then it is pretty much a full days worth of work. IMO the biggest pain in the arsh was getting the stock exhaust off. I wound up hacking it into a million pieces because I got so pissed off about it. (That part of the job was at the beginning before all of the beers and patience).

See this thread for before/after dyno results with my combination.

Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2003 | 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Flying ****
Seems the LT's dont make power until you really start pushing boost levels of 18psi or higher. Add them to ported heads and cams and you will see they make great power. Just not a worth wild mod for the $$ when your doing your basic mods from the beginning.
Problem is ****, 18#s of boost with my Eaton, didnt give hardly any HP....law of diminishing returns.....I have ported heads, cams, long tubes etc...I felt a differences but from 2500 rpm and up but it wasnt a seat of the pants difference...the Eaton just cant keep up ith the ported heads and cams and the air inlet temp is extremely hotter than it was at 14#s of boost....so I realized that in order to make my combo really work I needed a bigger blower....so I got the KB....than I realized that I need bigger injectors...and now a bigger line fuel system.....man, this is like a bottomless pit...I allready have over 20000 in truck, by the time Im finished with roll cage etc Ill probably have 26000 and up in truck.....

Old 08-04-2003 | 05:03 PM
Get em', the sound is just amazing and you'll gain some power to. Plus they look a lot better then the stock manifolds.

Old 08-04-2003 | 05:22 PM
Banned
**** brother, youre still 35,000 dollars behind what i had invested in my cobra... I wont even begin to list everything, but i kept running out of blower... These trucks/cars are worse then a boat sometimes.

Old 08-04-2003 | 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Flying ****
[BThese trucks/cars are worse then a boat sometimes. [/B]
hmm...interesting statement. I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you...

I know this is OT...I've had a 26' Cabin Cruiser for the past 8 years. Now these are NJ prices.

Insurance - $600/yr
Bottom painting, summerizing and average maintenance - $600/yr
Summer slip fees - $1400/summer
Winterizing and winter storage - $1000 per winter
Fuel - 75 gallon tank, usage on weekends only - $1200 /season avg.
Fun money for each weekend - about $4000 for the entire boating season

So that's about $9K/yr before the boat payments. Then multiply that by each year you have the boat and it gets up there. It's not so much for the boat itself, it's everything that goes along with it. I love it though.

Quick Reply: Advice on adding Long Tubes