Lightning

Advice on adding Long Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003 | 04:22 PM
|
Advice on adding Long Tubes

What's up guys? I'm a fella L owner in DFW Texas. I bought the truck new on April 8, '02, but just recently joined the 21st century and purchased a computer Anyway, I won't bore you with all the details of my life's story; just suffice it to say that I, like all of you, am infatuated with my L. I've been watching the boards since I subscribed to this forum a couple weeks ago, and have really enjoyed the info and advice you guys offer one another on various aspects of tuning and modding your L's. It has already become a valuable resource of info to me. My truck has several bolt-on and appearance mods and I'm always looking to improve her. Check out my sig below for details. I've been jonesing for a set of Long Tubes for a while now, and just thought I'd ask you; based on the mods I have; would they be a logical mod. I don't drive her daily anymore so noise isn't a factor. I'm looking to make her more efficient and to pick up power "under the curve". I currently run a 4# lower, and was considering goin to a 6#, but holding off due to TX heat and stock blower and internals. I know a lot of you run the LT's and was just looking for some input as this is not the cheapest of mods and is fairly labor intensive. Sorry 'bout the novel

Rob

Old 08-03-2003 | 04:32 PM
Yeah, longtubes would probably be a good choice for you at this point...You will lose round 2 # of boost with them....You may want to go with a 6# lower and a 2# upper setup after the longtubes are in....lots of Ls here in S.Florida are running that exact combo.....works great....

Old 08-03-2003 | 04:49 PM
You will def lose 2# of boost. I added long tubes and didnt change pulleys and lost 2#'s my truck actually ran the same #'s before and after the long tubes!!!! I think i'm going from the 4# pulley i have now to an 8#er " I know over spinning the stock blower bla bla blah"

Old 08-03-2003 | 05:37 PM
|
Thanks for your replies. It just blows my mind that LT's don't make any more of a difference on these trucks(w/ bolt-ons and 12-14psi) than what they do I've been messing with hot rods since I was 17 and I've never had one w/o LT's. One would assume that with a S/C(or any forced induction) motor LT's would be a no brainer. They definitely seem to aid the guys with KB's & Built motors, but 12 psi is a fair amount of boost, you'd think they'd help at least some. I understand that you lose 2#'s or so w/ LT's, but I figured that the increased efficiency of the motor would more than make up for said loss of boost. I'm just reluctant to go to a 6# due to the relative inefficiency of the Eaton in 100* TX heat.(Where more boost doesn't always translate into more power.) I guess I'm just trying to make as much power as I can with as little boost as possible(in hopes of prolonging the life of my stock internals)
However, if you guys have been running this combo with success and no reliability issues, then I reckon I'll definitely take that under advisement. What it all boils down to is I just want to be happy with a mod that can be a PITA in terms of cost and installation, especially if you realize little or no gain in power or performance. Once again, Thank You for your help in aiding a fellow L brotha just tryin to REPRESENT!

Old 08-03-2003 | 07:37 PM
Ive been overspinning my Eaton ever since I got it...no problems...If your concerned about 100 degree heat, I deal ith 95 degree heat and 90 % humidity everyday here in Fl....the way I counter that is with my water injection kit....it cools down the air charge and with alcohol it raises my octane a few points....

Old 08-03-2003 | 07:49 PM
Banned
dude talk about over spinning we all do it, it comes over spun from the factory. i run a 6 lower and a 2.84 upper in new mexico heat of 100+. i make up for it with a 75 shot of nos though. lts are cool, but dont waste your money until you get a built block which is exactly what im doing.

Old 08-03-2003 | 07:54 PM
Do you have any pics of the HRE's>??? Yummy.

I love the sound of my Long Tubes. Didn't notice as big of a gain as I would have liked but did feel the difference. -Mat-

Old 08-03-2003 | 08:02 PM
Promod what pulley combo are you running? I love the sound of the long tubes!!!!IMO pulley's make more power then anything else on these trucks!!!

Old 08-03-2003 | 08:42 PM
welcome to the board. a fellow dfw member. be sure to check out the TALON website at www.talonclub.com

Old 08-03-2003 | 08:47 PM
Your truck sounds badass and welcome to the site…

Old 08-03-2003 | 08:53 PM
With that mod list you WILL see a nice increase in power and the sound can't be beat. Your truck sounds sweet. Jump ALL the way into the 21st century and get us some digital pics. I know I'm not the only one dying to see them HRE's!

Eric

Ps. Upgrade to a six pounder and a reburn at the same time!

Old 08-03-2003 | 11:35 PM
Here are some pics of Rob's Lightning.

Last edited by Autothrottle; 08-03-2003 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-04-2003 | 12:15 AM
I picked up 2 tenths w/ my L.T.s and it was the only mod (besides chip and 4#) that I felt a "Seat of the pants" difference.

And the sound it incredible.

VINNIE

Old 08-04-2003 | 12:28 AM
|
Thanks for posting up the pics of my truck for me Mark I'm still trying figure out how to work this thing I'm gettin the hang of it slowly tho.
Hope you guys like the pics. The wheels look a lot better in person due to the centers being black, but I wanted to give the truck a more aggressive look, all in all I'm really happy with them. I imagine the jonesing will get the better of me between now and this fall and I'll probably go up to a 6#er w/ the LT's. In the meantime I'll continue soaking up all the info I can on these boards. Man, technolgy is COOL!
BTW CPEAPEA, I am 02BOLT on the TALON forum. I registered on a friend's computer back in March and have had limited access until recently(when I got my own).
Once again I am open to any and all suggestions in ref to LT's, especially from those who have them.
Have a good one

Mark, I'll holler at ya tomorrow; maybe we can meet for lunch?

Old 08-04-2003 | 02:45 AM

Quick Reply: Advice on adding Long Tubes