Lightning

Calling all Garage Queen owners!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up here in Alaska if I only drove my L on nice, non-rainy days, I would only get to drive it a few times a year. In the summer I park the Supercrew and drive the L everyday.

I am a parking lot freak. I will park and walk a mile to be away from people, but I need the exercise. Valet parking, not in this lifetime.

I made the mistake once of "over modding" a vechicle to the point I don't/won't/can't drive it daily. I did that to my '68 Chevelle and now she only goes out to the drag's (on a trailer) or to the gas station.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:59 AM
I have had my L for 2 years and 4 months. It stays in the garage almost all the time I have only 6000 miles on it. I guess it really is a big waste of money, but it's my toy. A big toy for a big boy.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:16 AM
Here's how I compare to you:

#1 Truck is in the garage at all times. [topsy] Yes

#2 "If" you take it to work, you keep it in your warehouse [topsy] I've driven it to work maybe twice in 2 years, it sat outside, sunny day.

#3 Rain to a Lightning with 555R is like Kryptonite!!! [topsy] My L hasn't seen rain since I bought it

#4 Having your truck detailed every month regardless [topsy] I only do mine about every 6 months. Even that is overkill.

#5 Parking as far as possible in a shopping plaza [topsy] I would never park the L at a shopping center.

#6 Rather walk a mile than valet [topsy] definitely

#7 Thinking of buying another car just not to drive the Lightning.
[topsy] I drive a Sport Trac for my daily driver.

My '01 L, purchased in Sept, '01, has about 1,800 miles.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:21 AM
Re: Calling all Garage Queen owners!!!

Originally posted by JewishLightning
Well, it was not supposed to be this way. I bought the L as a daily driver. After some mods and more mods after that, I've driven my truck less and less. It's got out of control!!!! So how many of you guys are just as bad as me.

#1 Truck is in the garage at all times.
#2 "If" you take it to work, you keep it in your warehouse
#3 Rain to a Lightning with 555R is like Kryptonite!!!
#4 Having your truck detailed every month regardless
#5 Parking as far as possible in a shopping plaza
#6 Rather walk a mile than valet
#7 Thinking of buying another car just not to drive the Lightning.
I drive it more the more I mod mine.

#1 I usually park it under the car port at home.
#2 I usually park it under a car port or in the warehouse at work.
#3 I had nitto 555R's for the last 15kmiles and they work well in the rain. I drive in the rain a lot.
#4 I wash the truck every day or everyday if it is driven.
#5 I park as far away from people as possible in any car I have.
#6 Never valet.
#7 I bought a new ranger last year so as to not put many miles on the truck, but I help help not driving the lightning while the ranger sits.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:05 AM
Well you guys will think i'm nuts! I just bought my 2nd L, a 2003.

I use mine everyday, for my work, i work for myself, and paint apartments! But it stays clean and gets no paint in the bed, or on the seats.

Most my work is under 6 miles from home, and i only carry 5 gal buckets of paint on the apt site. Thank god i dont carry paint with me, or i would have buckets of paint rolling everywhere, the way i take off in the L sometimes.

Chas

Old 08-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Banned
My SVT Focus is the garage queen. The Lightning gets driven everywhere and frankly, thats how it should be.

Been on nitto's since the end of fall, no problems thus far in the rain over the winter.

I cant see spending $30K for something you dump more $$ into, then hardly drive it.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny reading all these posts... I have started to wonder if my L is becoming a garage queen.

I bought my L 2 months ago, and quickly put 300 miles on it along with all the mods I wanted. I realized that I would quickly accumulate 18k miles a year and use up my warranty quickly at that pace, so I bought my 92 Toyota beater.

Well, I'm probably on pace to drive the L maybe 6k miles a year now. I drive my POS 'yota like I hate it. You get a nice massage from the vibration at 60mph, and it stops like you are on ice all the time, but oh well. It's nice knowing that I am driving the beater for free (practically). The gas I save at 40mpg vs. 13mpg on the L more than pays the insurance and maintenance.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:44 AM
I for one drive the L everyday. I just hit 80k miles and still strong. I also don't understand why you would buy a toy and never use it. You bought for you and enjoy it. It's like buying one of them $3k stainless steel outdoor BBQ things and never used cause you want it to stay nice and clean all the time and instead you buy a smaller charcoal one to use .
Besides I can't afford to have another car for daily driving.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-LO, spend a few spring months driving it as a daily up here around detroit. Then you might understand why *some* of us keep them in the garage. Dirt will have a new meaning in your life!

I now have mine as a garage queen! But I was only motivated to do this because I put 23k miles on it in 8 months.

WOT

Old 08-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Re: Calling all Garage Queen owners!!!

Garage Queen, I resent that and prefer the term *weather anything other then a sunny day challenged*

#1 Truck is in the garage at all times.
Except when it's being driven.

#2 "If" you take it to work, you keep it in your warehouse
Job security would be an improvement if we had a group of monkeys and pile of banana's, it doesn't come to work.

#3 Rain to a Lightning with 555R is like Kryptonite!!!
It gets driven in the rain?

#4 Having your truck detailed every month regardless
No, only when dirty. I'm lazy

#5 Parking as far as possible in a shopping plaza
Would you prefer next to a shopping with a screaming kid and huge doors that swing out really wide while they try and shove bags that way more then vehicles capacity in there?

#6 Rather walk a mile than valet
In 2 words, HELL YES.

#7 Thinking of buying another car just not to drive the
lightning.

Already did.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by bluelightning
Garaged ? Yep.

Parking? Solved look at the rear viev mirror.
Hey,

Haven't seen ya post in a while! How have ya been>??? Hope all is well. -Mat-

Old 08-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Mine is a garage queen, I can't stand to get it dirty. Sunny days only for me!

Tim

Old 08-06-2003, 12:50 PM
My truck is a garage queen also 2100 miles. I bought it because I enjoy driving it when the weathers good or I'm in the mood for it!!! and it feels like the first day I bought it..
If I take the boat to the lake or make a run to Home Depot I use my other truck ........ My L is a 30K toy.... If you have multiple vehicles and you can afford a toy then it usually becomes a queen..!!
if you post :" I drive mine all the time and it has alot of miles"or " My L is a daily driver and I dont understand why you would not drive yours all the time" the most likely reason is lack of beater funds, "Money"

Last edited by RED 92; 08-06-2003 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by RED 92
My truck is a garage queen also 2100 miles. I bought it because I enjoy driving it when the weathers good or I'm in the mood for it!!! and it feels like the first day I bought it..
If I take the boat to the lake or make a run to Home Depot I use my other truck ........ My L is a 30K toy.... If you have multiple vehicles and you can afford a toy then it usually becomes a queen..!!
if you post :" I drive mine all the time and it has alot of miles"or " My L is a daily driver and I dont understand why you would not drive yours all the time" the most likely reason is lack of beater funds, "Money"

LoL, I have the funds, I wouldn't call my Bronco a beater but it is there to drive everyday(if I wanted to). I still enjoy taking out my "toys." If I die 2morrow and my Lightning only had 2100 miles on it, I would die an unhappy man. -Mat-

Old 08-06-2003, 01:57 PM
I always park at the far back of a parking lot. After I got a ding in my door I NEVER park up front. Some places have the parallel parking, now that I LIKE

I dont have a garage though, I have a nice California car cover for when I have just waxed it. I just keep it clean and use a LOT of detailer wipe. Its tuff having a daily driven truck and keeping it in show condition...especially in florida where it rains every other day during the summer.

Quick Reply: Calling all Garage Queen owners!!!