Lightning

Lightning Loyalty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003 | 01:22 AM
Probably those that wanted the fastest Ford around went for the L the last 2-3 years. The Cobra is faster now, so they move on. I've had several Mustangs/Cobras through the years, and the '03 is definitely a killer, but....

I'm staying with the L for several reasons.

1. More room for me. Also don't have to crawl in and out.
2. Bigger, safer, can see where I'm going in traffic.
3. Cheaper insurance.
4. Can haul more that just @ss, tow, and is more usefull.
5. More 'presence' on the road. Don't have SUV's try to run over me all the time like I did in my Cobra.
6. Can hold hands with my Sweetheart while I drive.
7. I like my L.

Old 08-07-2003 | 01:24 AM
Originally posted by VinniePSVT
I hope you mean that as some sort of joke
I find Lightning owners who stay true to their Lightnings are a rare breed....I am a second generation Lightning owner and have had a Cobra, GT, Prostock and Superduty inbetween.....those didnt work for me so I came back to the brotherhood......

Old 08-07-2003 | 01:47 AM
I remember being in 7th grade when the first gen Lightning rolled out. I wanted one so bad I could taste the burnt rubber. Ofcourse what good does a kewl truck do a person that wont have a license for 3-4 more years. I always wanted one, but college made it impossible to get even a used first gen. Then in 99 the second gen cxame out and I again had the taste in my mouth and droul running down my chin. I had the money, but finishing college and getting a house and a potential wife made it impossible. Fast forward to 4 weeks ago. My 98 (F-150 EXT. cab 4x4 OffRoad) was pissing me off with its horrible fuel economy (12-14mpg) and severe lack of power. So I started thinking about what I wanted. DING DING DING! Lightning. I had said that my next vehical was going to be a L. So I looked, found what I wanted to look at and now I own my dream truck. I can barely afford it but I dont care. I have to work 48 hours a week to keep it and I still dont care. I am not at top pay for my current job so I just looked down the road. Before its paid for I will be able to afford it. I finally have it, I wont let it go unless the bank comes and takes it (maybe I will let the house go first... lol... hmmm, no). And yes, the person that had it before me let it go so he could get a 03 Cobra. So now I have it and its in good hands.

Chris

Old 08-07-2003 | 01:49 AM
Originally posted by jakhammer
I remember being in 7th grade when the first gen Lightning rolled out. I wanted one so bad I could taste the burnt rubber. Ofcourse what good does a kewl truck do a person that wont have a license for 3-4 more years. I always wanted one, but college made it impossible to get even a used first gen. Then in 99 the second gen cxame out and I again had the taste in my mouth and droul running down my chin. I had the money, but finishing college and getting a house and a potential wife made it impossible. Fast forward to 4 weeks ago. My 98 (F-150 EXT. cab 4x4 OffRoad) was pissing me off with its horrible fuel economy (12-14mpg) and severe lack of power. So I started thinking about what I wanted. DING DING DING! Lightning. I had said that my next vehical was going to be a L. So I looked, found what I wanted to look at and now I own my dream truck. I can barely afford it but I dont care. I have to work 48 hours a week to keep it and I still dont care. I am not at top pay for my current job so I just looked down the road. Before its paid for I will be able to afford it. I finally have it, I wont let it go unless the bank comes and takes it (maybe I will let the house go first... lol... hmmm, no). And yes, the person that had it before me let it go so he could get a 03 Cobra. So now I have it and its in good hands.

Chris

Old 08-07-2003 | 01:55 AM
jakhammer

My hat is off to you Chris, as it is to my friend Tony, who really couldnt afford a Lightning due to divorce but made sacrifices and got a second job and eventually bought a Lightning...whenever I see him he allways looks tired but there is allways a mile on his face when he gets in his Lightning.....

Old 08-07-2003 | 01:59 AM
As unpractical as my truck is for me, I will never get rid of it. In a way I inherited it when I lost one of my best friends, and I just couldn't let it go! I care more for my truck than anything. Maybe I sound a little stupid, but ill put my truck at the highest priority out of anything... even over important stuff. I just love it too much!

-Mike

Old 08-07-2003 | 02:12 AM
Just this morning when I was walking out of work and putting my ghetto seat cover on (not only do I run a Thermoforming machine, but I get to work on it too so I greeeeezzzzyyyy) one of the upper managment people came over and started talking to me about the truck. And before I got out of the building I had a day shift person hold me up to talk about it. After a 12 hour day the last thing I want to do is talk, but if its about the truck, I am more than willing

Chris

Old 08-07-2003 | 07:06 AM
Having had a 99&01 Lightning which i was very loyal to both trucks at that time i just felt i was up against the wall on making more efficient power than what i already had on the truck unless i switched to a Kenne Belle blower which at that time were still in a testing phase and not yet released for us to buy.So when ford put a new built supercharged motor in the cobra that inspired me to try it for a year or two before the new next generation L comes out in 05. A fully modded cobra just plain kicks *** and is a rush to drive just messing around on the streets with it. Ford has blessed us with two awesome vehicles to choose from or have both in which a few members are lucky enough to have and to make our competion take a backseat to both vehicles at the track or on the street.

Old 08-07-2003 | 08:21 AM
So let me see if I get this straight.................because a Lightning owner sells within 2 years, to buy something else, he is NOT AN ENTHUSIAST??? Are you *****tin' me????

I put every spare dollar into my truck while I owned it, which while buying my first house, wasn't a whole lot, but still managed to make it a street terror.......................When I traded the truck in, during my final drive, I literally CRIED..............I knew I was going to miss it, but I couldn't have both...............now I have another rare breed of sports car, and I dare anyone to say that by owning a Mach 1, I am no longer a TRUE ENTHUSIAST....It was a new door that opened up, and I took it, and I don't regret it..........................Now, buying a 2nd home, I'm right back where I started with the L.......every spare dollar will go into my 'Stang.

I love American Muscle, especially Fords. I grew up as a Chevy guy, but when the Lightning first came out in '99, I knew I had to have it someday, and I did..................I felt the same way about the Mach 1, and I do. My only regret is that my first brand new car was a Honda, and not an LS1 like I originally wanted, but oh well, life ain't perfect either.

done ranting.......................JC

Old 08-07-2003 | 09:34 AM
I would never let my Lightning go, so I just got a Cobra to go along with it.

Old 08-07-2003 | 10:15 AM
I gather I represent the opposite then? I went from a 98 Z28 (an absolute POS!) to a 99 Lightning (which was a bigger POS!...had so many problems with it) I then went to a Mustang Bullitt which I really loved. I was a very nice car but just was missing something. Had a very generous offer from an older gent to purchase it and thus I went back to an 03 Lightning. I have always been a truck kind of guy and it is nice to be back in the machine that I really do love. Hopefully this one is better than my last.

Paul G.

Old 08-07-2003 | 11:31 AM
Originally posted by MiamiWhiteSVT-L
So let me see if I get this straight.................because a Lightning owner sells within 2 years, to buy something else, he is NOT AN ENTHUSIAST??? Are you *****tin' me????

I put every spare dollar into my truck while I owned it, which while buying my first house, wasn't a whole lot, but still managed to make it a street terror.......................When I traded the truck in, during my final drive, I literally CRIED..............I knew I was going to miss it, but I couldn't have both...............now I have another rare breed of sports car, and I dare anyone to say that by owning a Mach 1, I am no longer a TRUE ENTHUSIAST....It was a new door that opened up, and I took it, and I don't regret it..........................Now, buying a 2nd home, I'm right back where I started with the L.......every spare dollar will go into my 'Stang.

I love American Muscle, especially Fords. I grew up as a Chevy guy, but when the Lightning first came out in '99, I knew I had to have it someday, and I did..................I felt the same way about the Mach 1, and I do. My only regret is that my first brand new car was a Honda, and not an LS1 like I originally wanted, but oh well, life ain't perfect either.

done ranting.......................JC
Don't sweat it JC... some of the ****'s here are so high up on thier horses they can't even see the real world. They just like to think they know everything.

I was never a Ford guy, but I always said that if I had to own one, it would be an L. So I did. Within one year, I went from a bone stock L, to having one of the quickest L's down here, then back to stock, and you dare say that I am anything but an enthusiast? See, unlike most of the garage queens here, I actually drove my L... 42K miles in one year to be exact. And having a 80K mile truck in another year that wouldnt be worth squat near what i paid just wasnt practical to me. So I got out while i was still on top.

I have made some great friends in the L community, and will continue to support the group.

I will be at the Annual F L A S V T Miami meet... along with all the other enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2003 | 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 1BADBOLT
Don't sweat it JC... some of the ****'s here are so high up on thier horses they can't even see the real world. They just like to think they know everything.

I was never a Ford guy, but I always said that if I had to own one, it would be an L. So I did. Within one year, I went from a bone stock L, to having one of the quickest L's down here, then back to stock, and you dare say that I am anything but an enthusiast? See, unlike most of the garage queens here, I actually drove my L... 42K miles in one year to be exact. And having a 80K mile truck in another year that wouldnt be worth squat near what i paid just wasnt practical to me. So I got out while i was still on top.

I have made some great friends in the L community, and will continue to support the group.

I will be at the Annual F L A S V T Miami meet... along with all the other enthusiasts.
Well said Rich!!

I'll see you tomorrow....BTW, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting your WS6 yet...........I've been a little MIA in the past couple months.

JC

Old 08-07-2003 | 11:56 AM
I love mine. I show up to track race events and I'm the only one there. Everybody looks at me funny at the start, then compliments me at the end. Makes it fun.

Old 08-07-2003 | 12:06 PM
I could care less what people buy. I have no loyalty. Whatever I want at the moment is what I am going to have. I have to have a truck so I might as well have a fast nice looking one.

Quick Reply: Lightning Loyalty?