Lightning

Lightning Loyalty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by VinniePSVT
I hope you mean that as some sort of joke

Nope... goto ******.com and ask around, or better yet.. talk to Mark. L owners are dropping like flies over there.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Knockout_tx
I would never let my Lightning go, so I just got a Cobra to go along with it.
Looks like you got your hands full with the L and company....

Old 08-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Hands full ......pockets empty.......

Old 08-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Yeah, it's not so much loyalty as practicality.
The truck is fun and fast and roomy, but seriously, how practical is it? I wanted it because I wanted a cross between a Z28/Silverado after I figured out I couldn't fit in my Camaro anymore. This, to me, is a sports car I can fit in. I'm 24 and single, with a decent job, and I still can't really afford it. I can't do everything I want to... I'm making sacrifices. When I get a family to worry about, $200 a month on gas isn't something I'm going to want to afford.
The Lightning is excessive impracticality sculpted in steel and plastic. Sure, it's "badass" and "unique" and all that. It's great for young guys with no responsibilities (me), and older guys with money (almost all L drivers I see on the road are 40+). There are exceptions, expensive exceptions, of people taking the speed to the extreme, but for the most part, it's not for people who want fast cars. There are faster things out there for the money. This is for people who want a fast truck. It's a novelty, a fun novelty that I'm really enjoying right now. But it's bound to wear off for most people.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:03 PM
I think the biggest killers for the Lightning would have to be:

Questionable drivetrain reliability
Lack of support from Ford on the warranty
Poor engineering (rods, heads, trans, intercooler)

I wouldnt blame anyone for leaving their gen2 Lightning behind based on these three factors. Its a shame the price we pay for these trucks that we have to deal with these problems.

Dont get me wrong... I love my L but I wish it had been engineered better and I wish Ford stood behind this product.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:05 PM
I love Lightnings more than Sal.

Well, maybe not, but I bet I'm close!

Old 08-07-2003, 03:14 PM
I use to think just like the young guys that posted on this thread about never selling the truck. Well now its up forsale. I will still be an enthusiast and will porbably be back around when the 3 gen comes out. I just want something different now. Also speaking about loyalty, is Ford really loyal to all of us outhere?????????

Old 08-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys are ditching their L's for 1 big reason in my opinion... it's cheaper to make it go faster.

Quality is equal between the F150's and the Mustang (I've owned both).

Cornering...certainly the edge goes to the Cobra. Personally, I could give a sh*t about cornering, as long as it corners better than a Winnebago.

I want speed, decent ride quality, good looks, and utility. The L is perfect for me in that respect.

Some people, however, want the thrill of a 6 speed and great cornering, something that the L can't give. If that's your thing, then great. Hell, I'd love to own an 03 Cobra, but I won't sacrifice my L to do it.

Old 08-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Knockout_tx
Hands full ......pockets empty.......
HaHa I hear that! -Mat-

Old 08-07-2003, 09:09 PM
gp
show me another car or truck under 40000 dollars that can run 12.50 with a few bolt ons,get 15 mpg or better,looks good ,rides good ,handles good,stop on a dime,and all you have to do is put it in DRIVE.i have had alot of the older and newer fast fords but this is by far the best vehicle i have EVER had.did i mention the automatic transmission?yes,im a old fart of 52 and dont want to change my own gears!

Old 08-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by jakhammer
I remember being in 7th grade when the first gen Lightning rolled out. I wanted one so bad I could taste the burnt rubber. Ofcourse what good does a kewl truck do a person that wont have a license for 3-4 more years. I always wanted one, but college made it impossible to get even a used first gen. Then in 99 the second gen cxame out and I again had the taste in my mouth and droul running down my chin. I had the money, but finishing college and getting a house and a potential wife made it impossible. Fast forward to 4 weeks ago. My 98 (F-150 EXT. cab 4x4 OffRoad) was pissing me off with its horrible fuel economy (12-14mpg) and severe lack of power. So I started thinking about what I wanted. DING DING DING! Lightning. I had said that my next vehical was going to be a L. So I looked, found what I wanted to look at and now I own my dream truck. I can barely afford it but I dont care. I have to work 48 hours a week to keep it and I still dont care. I am not at top pay for my current job so I just looked down the road. Before its paid for I will be able to afford it. I finally have it, I wont let it go unless the bank comes and takes it (maybe I will let the house go first... lol... hmmm, no). And yes, the person that had it before me let it go so he could get a 03 Cobra. So now I have it and its in good hands.

Chris

Quick Reply: Lightning Loyalty?