Lightning

question about audio in the lightning

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about audio in the lightning

what is a good way to beef up the factory speakers, i live next door to crutchfield and have acess to a lot of stuff, but what are good speakers and if i want a sub small, and not mounted behind a seat, what is a good setup. what are yous guys setup?
Thanks, Aaron

Old 08-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Upgrading the door speakers will greatly improve the sound quality. Rob02 had a sub mounted on the hub. But if you are doing subs you will probably want an amp also. I kept the stock deck, upgraded the door speakers, put 2 subs behind the seats and mounted the amp in the bed of the truck.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:39 PM
First thing I would do is replace the head, then subs w/amp (behind the seat), then some mid & twt ........
Do a search, you'll find more than enough info

Old 08-07-2003, 11:53 PM
I highly recommend replacing the factory deck before investing in stock speakers. With the right setup, most stock speakers can sound decent with good power to them. The stock deck puts out no more than 7 watts. That is pretty sad, and you can hardly turn it half way without wanting to barf. Get a deck with built in crossovers, and you can save the speakers from trying to play the stuff below 100 hz. Combine that with triple the RMS on a new head unit, and you will have a much better sound.

Old 08-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Audio18
I highly recommend replacing the factory deck before investing in stock speakers. With the right setup, most stock speakers can sound decent with good power to them. The stock deck puts out no more than 7 watts. That is pretty sad, and you can hardly turn it half way without wanting to barf. Get a deck with built in crossovers, and you can save the speakers from trying to play the stuff below 100 hz. Combine that with triple the RMS on a new head unit, and you will have a much better sound.

yup,

i like what he said

Old 08-08-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Audio18
I agree on getting rid of the stock headunit, but definitely get rid of the stock speakers. They sound terrible when compared to decent aftermarket speakers. If you want to stay simple, I would suggest the Polk DX7 speakers. They are a 3 -way set up and bolt right into the factory hole. If you feel a little creative, you can make a baffle plate to mount some 6.5" co-axial speakers, or if you plan on going with an aftermarket amp, then you can go with a 6.5" component set. A good 10" sub would do wonders for the sound also.

Old 08-08-2003, 12:09 AM
i wa hoping i would not have to mount any thing behind the seats in case i want to mount NO2

Old 08-08-2003, 12:28 AM
If you wanna do the front speakers here's how! https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=4326 Later.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by MaxTorque02
If you feel a little creative, you can make a baffle plate to mount some 6.5" co-axial speakers, or if you plan on going with an aftermarket amp, then you can go with a 6.5" component set. A good 10" sub would do wonders for the sound also.
If he is feeling really creative he could do a 8" like I did in the doors

5 1/4 and tweeter in the kicks to..

-Mark

Old 08-08-2003, 10:06 AM
You might consider this https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hlight=clarion
Inexpensive Option, Clarion sub.. I do like the small cubbyhole that it provides!

Old 08-08-2003, 10:20 AM
While waiting for my head unit/amp/subs, I installed infinity 5x7 in the doors to get that out of the way. It made the factory head unit sound soooo much better. It actually had distinguishable bass! I would suggest changing out the front doors first and see if thats enough of an upgrade.

Of course now that everything else is in I am glad I did it.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:36 AM
If you replace the speakers first, then you are simply going to just make the distortion from the stock deck sound better. If you replace the deck first, then you will have a clean output all the time. Upgrading the door speakers after that will simply give you more midbass, clean up the highs and allow you to crank it up more.

You can really get by with a good deck and just replacing the front speakers. You should fade to the front for better front stage, so the rear speakers are hardly noticable anyway. On top of that, they are stuffed behind the seat where they sound muffled no matter what. Do look into putting some kind of sub in there. You can easily put a 10 inch sub on one side of the cab if you don't want to give up all the space behind the seat.

Old 08-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you dont want to mount the amps behind the seat, just put them under the seat

That is what I did for both of my amps. I have a 150x2 under the passenger, and a 1100x1 under the driver.

Check out the link in my signature for more pics.

-Kimball

Old 08-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Re: question about audio in the lightning

Originally posted by ST.ELMO'SFIRE
what is a good way to beef up the factory speakers, i live next door to crutchfield and have acess to a lot of stuff, but what are good speakers and if i want a sub small, and not mounted behind a seat, what is a good setup. what are yous guys setup?
Thanks, Aaron
Clarion Power series SRC5794 plate speakers fit right in place of '03 L door speakers. No designing of install plates, etc. I kept the stock head and added a 10" Elevation subwoofer in a R/T truck box behind the passenger seat (fits aok, seat can go back all the way) and a Rockford Fosgate Power 250M amplifier under the back end of the console. Anyway, what a major difference in the sound. The Clarion speakers have very clear output, especially on vocals, etc. The bass is waaaaay more then enough now... Anyway, an alternative to the stock blah stereo set-up. For the record I am 54yo and did not need anything more extreme/better then what I opted for.

Last edited by billarf; 08-09-2003 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: question about audio in the lightning