Lightning

What's the real Magic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003 | 06:13 PM
|
Question What's the real Magic?

I’d like an honest and sincere advice please:
What is the “magic” of the Lightning? I’ve got an 03 reg cab flareside 4x4 w/5.4, and wonder if I should have bought the Lightning. I needed a tighter turn radius than the extended cab, and I needed enough power to pull a heavy bass boat up hills. I also wanted the flareside for easy access to the boat in certain launching conditions. I got all of those, and am really happy with the flareside bed and maneuverability of the truck. I’m a little disappointed in the “bare” interior; meaning lots of plastic panels of only one color. I’m really getting tired of climbing up so high, even with step bars; Ford’s 4x4 is really raised. The ride is also too harsh; my back is aching after a trip to the lake, and the drink sloshes out of the cup.
I almost bought the Lightning but got irritated at the dealer’s attitude of marking UP the SVT because he’s got an exclusive sales right in the town. I simply refused to pay more than window price, and he wouldn’t even consider my X-plan.
I guess my question is; with all the talk on this forum about the “care and feeding” of a Lightning, is it really a troublesome truck? Would it be a worthwhile purchase for an average guy who wants a comfortable ride in a simple, but well-powered, truck? Is there a disadvantage, or “hidden cost” in owning a Lightning? Has anyone ever been disappointed after stepping up to the extra cost?

Thanks, in advance, for a straight answer

Old 08-22-2003 | 06:31 PM
I am very satisfied with my lightning. It's an awesome truck with great performance for the money. Now the downside. If you ever get one no matter how hard you try it seems the "mod" bug will bite you. Yep...you got it....you will want some more power. These trucks respond well to mostly simple mods and will really wake the truck up. If you're looking for good gas mileage it probably isn't much worse than what you are driving now. I average about 13mpg usally. Hwy you can get 16-17. If you keep you foot in it though look for 12mpg or less. As far as the dealer you went to, go somewhere else. YOu can get these trucks on the X plan. That's how I purchased mine and with no mark up. That's just a lame excuse to make more money. Hope this helps and maybe a few more will give you their opions of these trucks whether it be good or bad.

Old 08-22-2003 | 06:42 PM
I also pull a boat and I can think of two possible issues. First off the Lightning sits lower so on occasion I have found myself with the truck backed into the water almost to the taillights trying to launch. Secondly all that power is hard to put to the ground, especially pulling out of the water. I sometimes even break the tires loose leaving a stoplight with the boat. As far as buying on X Plan, I'm assuming you were trying to buy at North Point. Try giving Lewis a call in Fayetteville. They have told me before that they would sell me a Cobra on D Plan so I'm sure X Plan would not be a problem. I just bought my wife a Mountaineer on D Plan and it sure is nice not having to try to get the best price. I just pulled up on the lot and asked what they would give me on my trade in. Once I found that out I pointed to the Mountaineer and said I'll be buying that on D Plan.

I would recommend finding someone with an L and going for a ride.

Old 08-22-2003 | 07:16 PM
Well, I went the opposite way you are thinking, traded the Lightning in on a 4x4 SuperCrew. I did it because they were offering super deals on new trucks, and my daughter just turned two and hauling three in a L is not much fun. The L is a superb vehicle, there is nothing like it and I miss mine. The blower whine, the acceleration, the looks from the Dodge Ram and Camaro drivers when they pull along side and see the Lightning emblems and then slow down as to not challege you, priceless. The only hidden cost is in mods, it's addictive. I've also started modding my Screw, but there's so much more that can be done to an L. They are extremely comfortable, although the suspension is a might stiff as it is on all performance vehicles. If you can deal with a two passenger vehicle (or three uncomfortably), then by all means buy one, you'll be the happiest guy on your street!

Old 08-22-2003 | 07:29 PM
Deeno,

I did exactly what you are thinking of doing. I went from a regular cab/short bead/4X4/V8/F-150 with 17’’ rims to a Lightning. I bought the 4X4 new and the Lightning used and have never looked back. I can’t explain how much more I like the L. The power is unbelievable and the looks I get while driving it are constant. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned, I look forward to driving it every day. The biggest difference between the two tucks is the acceleration. Next would be the height, while far from low the L is significantly lower than the 4X4. The interior on the L is much more comfortable and better looking. The L can turn like a bastard while the 4X4 could barely stay on the road on an exit ramp. Other than that they are very similar. It was kind of neat to have a new truck that was still very familiar, all the gauges and instrumentation are similar.

If you have the money and don’t need four wheel drive I say go for it.

That’s as straight as it gets.

Pete

Old 08-23-2003 | 11:20 AM
Talking Lightnings are addictive

I have owned my 99 Lightning for 2 years now. Since I got it I sold my Slantnose Porsche and I am now selling my 73 914 Porsche. Nothing compares to the power and exhiliration of the Lightning. The problem is once you start on the mods you just can't stop!!! The availability of appearance and performance mods are endless. The "magic" of the Lightning can only be explained by those who own one.

Old 08-23-2003 | 12:02 PM
Lightnings in their stock form are dependable,comfortable, nice looking, trouble free(you can always get a bad one in anything you buy), and very powerfull.
If you took a poll on how many Lightnings on this board were stock, there wouldnt be many and thats where the "magic" of a Lightning begins. For around $600 in a chip and pulley, you will have a high 12 second truck! And once you start modding them, you cant stop! Ask anyone on this board! Its addicting to say the least. But dont expect to keep your drivetrain warranty if you do mod it.
You just have to own a Lightning to understand why we all here are so crazy about them. The looks you get while driving it, the rush you get from the acceleration, and the excitement and pure joy of the a$$ kicking's you dish out to others, esp. ****y vette owners. And doing all this in a "Truck" is icing on the cake.
I read a post on the corvette forums last week where a vette owner said he bows his head when he see's a Lightning approaching! They know..............

Old 08-23-2003 | 01:40 PM
3 yrs, 40K+ miles, totally stock, and I still grin when I drive it. The magic is knowing that this truck suits me perfectly. I don't haul extremely heavy loads (1k a few times), don't tow anything heavy, (3.5k trailer), and don't do any off roading. Mostly what I do is haul @zz, and the L does that better than any truck in stock form.

Spend five minutes looking at the sigs on the L forum, and you'll see that stock is just a starting point, and very few stay there. For most L owners, the magic is that for just a few bucks in mods, they can start picking on F-bodies and other 'performance' cars.

If you are looking for a truck who's strengths are skewed toward on road performance, you can find the magic too!

Old 08-23-2003 | 04:49 PM
Straight answer: Don't get one.

Reliability is not a problem at all with a stock L, but you seem awefully concerned with convenience and ride comfort issues.

Performance vehicles shift the compromises in favor of performance. If your drink is sloshing in a 4X4, it will also slosh in a Lightning. Hell, I can't have an uncovered drink anywhere in my Hotchkis-equipped L.

I recommend a 2x4 regular F150. Get some comfy captain's chairs, stop off at the 7-11 for a Big Gulp, and set the cruise control.

Oh, yeah . . . The "magic" is watching everyone look with dumb wonder as I roll that big-*ss truck up to the starting grid at a road course and then commence to menace the "sports cars."

Last edited by Tim Skelton; 08-23-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2003 | 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Straight answer: Don't get one.

Reliability is not a problem at all with a stock L, but you seem awefully concerned with convenience and ride comfort issues.

Performance vehicles shift the compromises in favor of performance. If your drink is sloshing in a 4X4, it will also slosh in a Lightning. Hell, I can't have an uncovered drink anywhere in my Hotchkis-equipped L.

I recommend a 2x4 regular F150. Get some comfy captain's chairs, stop off at the 7-11 for a Big Gulp, and set the cruise control.

Oh, yeah . . . The "magic" is watching everyone look with dumb wonder as I roll that big-*ss truck up to the starting grid at a road course and then commence to menace the "sports cars."
To that last statement!

Old 08-23-2003 | 09:23 PM
As your hearing Deeno, IT'S ALL GOOD

Comfort, Looks + Speed in one kick a$$ package.

And with a few easy do it yourself Mods,
IT'S KING OF THE ROAD

Quick Reply: What's the real Magic?