Lightning

Attn Jim@JDM

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003 | 06:44 PM
Banned
Modular is sharing.

Windsor 302/351 could swap parts

4.6/5.4 mods can swap parts.

All variations of 32 valve heads (4) will fit the 5.4.

However, its taking the time to see which ones work the best.

For forced induction, my $$ is on 03 Cobra heads mated to a 5.4 with a stage 2 crower cam, 1mm over ferrara valves, crower spring kit and a nice p/p job.

You may even have to develop new cams since we would only need to spin the 5.4 to 6000 or 6500 max RPM.

2V's still produce more torque over a 4V and thats whats going to move these big tanks.

Would be a fun project though.

Old 08-29-2003 | 07:39 PM
Banned
i think ayrtons engine is a 4valve

Old 08-30-2003 | 12:17 PM
what about the new three valve head on the 04 f150's? Would they be a nice mixture of both torque and revability? PLEASE correct me if im wrong, but isnt that the main reason why the new L will make 500hp even before the supercooler system kicks in? Those new heads should also be able to fit our 5.4's, shouldnt they. If this has already been covered-my apologies, I just havent seen it.

Old 08-30-2003 | 12:35 PM
Originally posted by swiseuf
what about the new three valve head on the 04 f150's? Would they be a nice mixture of both torque and revability? PLEASE correct me if im wrong, but isnt that the main reason why the new L will make 500hp even before the supercooler system kicks in? Those new heads should also be able to fit our 5.4's, shouldnt they. If this has already been covered-my apologies, I just havent seen it.
Bingo
That would be my choice for heads too

Old 08-30-2003 | 01:09 PM
no reason why our new L's couldn't have a 3v 5.4 dohc, with a 12-14pound boosting supercharger.

thats prolly 500 hp :P

hell isn't that what the concept had anyways lol

Old 08-30-2003 | 01:18 PM
yes it is...what is the weight on the new vehicles? How do they stack up with our model years' weights? Perhaps that 3v combo on our trucks, if they are lighter, would be pretty potent....

Old 08-30-2003 | 06:32 PM
Really Old "Member"
Color me stupid, But

The Concept 04 Lightning is a 32 valver DOHC, not a 24 valver. I am sure I could have missed it but I have never read of a DOHC 3 valve motor, again they may exist just haven't seen it.

As some of the gang here remember, I had a very low build # 99 Lightning that eventually ended up with just chip/filter/Bassani that was a great performance truck. Never took it to the strip but it was probably a 13 second runner based on what everyone else was doing with similar mods.

I now drive an 02 Blackwood with the 300 hp 5.4 32 valve motor and also have chip/filter/slightly modified exhaust. At 5700 lbs, there is no way it will be a 13 second truck without serious further mods but let me tell you guys and girls, that motor has potential. It is just plain sweet, almost like a sports car motor.
I am not going to try to do the math, but I could imagine a blown 5.4 DOHC 32 valver with 4:10 gears to overcome the lower torque in the lower rpm range would be one hell of a stormer.
Not, really, too far from the Concept 04 Lightning stuff that I have seen.

What I am sort of driving at here is that it would be interesting to speculate (and I bet someone has done it) a project where someone gets a used Gator motor out of a salvage yard and adapts an Eaton or similar blower to the mill, sorts out the rest of the normal tuning problems, straps a 4:10 rear end to it and installs it in a Gen II Lightning. Just guessing but you can pick up a 99 for lets say 20K, another 5K for the motor and mods and you may have something that is as fast as a Concept 04 for a little over half the cost. IMHO it might even look a little better.

Pop Corn Gallery????
Bill

Old 08-30-2003 | 10:01 PM
Bill,
I agree that would make a sweet combo. Many others have thought that also but only 1 or 2 have been able to get it all together. Getting an intake to mate the 4V head to the supercharger is an expensive and not so simple matter. Tim @ REM, Jim @ JDM and Sean Hyland have all atleast toyed with the idea but due to the high cost of this custom piece they just never have came to be. I know of atleast 2 4V trucks out there and have never heard what kind of output they netted.

You know what they say......
If you got the money ANYTHING is possable!

Eric

Old 08-31-2003 | 09:50 AM
Really Old "Member"
Ya got me Eric: I completely forgot about the HDMLNIUM
(Bill's White L) project from last year. There was a really long thread about Jim trying to adapt an Eaton type blower to a 5.4 DOHC. I didn't search for the thread but it may have gotten zapped because it got rather ugly.

I am not technically real smart but I wonder if Jim has given up on the DOHC based on the content of this thread. I can only guess that it must be a much larger investment in completely new block castings compared to an intake casting to adapt an Eaton to a DOHC 5.4.

I am probably preaching to the choir here but as much as I loved and respected the SOHC in my Lightning, I am really blown away by the DOHC 5.4 in terms of it's potential. I had a 96 SHO DOHC and if I had then known about chips and intakes I probably would still have it. The factory PCM settings killed that car. Pat has the Conti with a 4.6 DOHC and although she won't let me touch it, it has a lot of potential too.

The simple addition of the chip/filter/exhaust really woke my Blackwood up and an Eaton type blower would be the nuts if one were available as a package. There are Paxton blown Woods and Gators out there but that is sort of a different deal.

Just for grins, I am still toying with the idea of transplanting a current Cobra motor into my "50K inherited from my Mom from CA. pristine" 92 Town Car. There are serious torque issues there too but again a 4:10 swap in a TC is not a big deal and it would surprise a lot of people.

I guess I am just wishing Ford or one of the aftermarket companies would go after the 5.4 DOHC and offer the same type of stuff they do for the SOHC and the 4.6 motors.
Bill

Old 08-31-2003 | 10:12 AM
May work good on the Vic, BTW their is a V-10 Vic running around out there thats carries the front end for a distance !

Quick Reply: Attn Jim@JDM