Lightning

Magnum Powers & JDM!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003 | 04:07 PM
Originally posted by webmaster
webmaster note: typical immature, anti-JDM bull**** that needlessly drives positive threads into the toilet removed from this point forward...
That would be typical holier than thou moderator protecting the
public from any honest answers, right? There was nothing
anti-JDM about either of those questions. Just wanted to know
the truth.

Old 09-06-2003 | 05:05 PM
F150online
Founder
Originally posted by SVT_KY
That would be typical holier than thou moderator protecting the
public from any honest answers, right? There was nothing
anti-JDM about either of those questions. Just wanted to know
the truth.
And that would be a typical Cliff know-it-all chip-on-his-shoulder against all things JDM, everything that we do on these forums is a personal attack on him response. So, what else is new? You disagree with something we've done in a thread that involves a vendor you have a problem with. BIG surprise. Get over it Cliff, it's never about you. Leave already like you promised you would in a public tantrum a few weeks back. The crap that was removed from this thread was not on-topic. If you want to tell "the truth" start another thread and don't pollute one that contains positive information for the Lightning community.

MORE anti-JDM crap removed from an otherwise positive thread. Any other attempts to drive this in the toilet will result in bannings. I am so sick of this childishness. It will end here.

Last edited by webmaster; 09-06-2003 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2003 | 06:30 PM
Originally posted by RiddlerGT
Suavy said he is running his Magnum Powers/ JDM tuned truck this weekend. so finnaly will have real track numbers to go with those dynos! Can't wait to see those real world timeslips.
Yeah, Id love to see those numbers.....

Old 09-06-2003 | 06:56 PM
I would love to give you those numbers!
I went to the track last weekend and even put my big pulley on using my every day driver setting. However, I blew my head gasket going into 3rd gear. All the boost lifted my head and put coolant in my combustion chamber. This blew the top of my expansion tank. So now I'm down to replace my head gasket and a front cover that I broke removing the dampner.

It sounded great went through 1st good with no detenation, then 2nd fine, going into 3rd I went to wide open throttle I heard a pop and then a water fall of coolant covered my windshield. I got of the track and had it towed home. One other thing the heads were torqued to 70 ft. lb and I found out later they should have been at least 75 with my set up.

Suavy

Old 09-06-2003 | 09:27 PM
I hope the blower turns out to be as good as it sounds but that Muscle Mustang truck has stolen my trucks name. Mine was named "The Fridge" years ago. That ain't right and that's all I got to say bout' that!

Old 09-06-2003 | 09:34 PM
Mine are torqued to 85 since a few weeks ago when I got around to replacing the gaskets.

Old 09-06-2003 | 09:53 PM
East, 85 ft lb's ?

The person who built my engine said ARP told him 70 ft lb's.

Have you had any problems at 85 ft lb's?

Did you use the new and improved head gaskets?

Suavy

Old 09-06-2003 | 10:02 PM
I had the old gaskets and my head lifted on the dyno. I originally torqued to 75. I took off the valve covers and retorqued to 95 ft/lbs. I drove like that for a couple of months. The heads would only lift sometimes at real high boost. I changed to the new head gaskets this last time and torqued to 85 and haven't had any problems. I did use moly lube.
Some people have said that my torque wrench is crap because it is a craftsman brand, but I think it is correct. It is only a couple of years old and I don't throw it around much or use it as a breaker bar.
Use this info at your own risk. Most people on here think I'm crazy. I'm definately not a mechanic.

Old 09-06-2003 | 10:17 PM
East, thanks for the info.

Suavy

Old 09-06-2003 | 11:17 PM
Originally posted by easterisland
Some people have said that my torque wrench is crap because it is a craftsman brand, but I think it is correct.
My local Discount Tire has a “torque checker” and I stop in periodically to check my three Craftsman torque wrenches and they have always been accurate up to this point.

If you have had you block honed with deck plates you should torque the studs to the same foot pounds.

Old 09-06-2003 | 11:41 PM
Ayrton,

So your saying I should have torqued the deck plates to 80 lb when they block was honed? I don't think that happened. Are you a mechanic? Not questioning your abilities I just want to make sure this is first hand info cuz I'm gonna freshen my engine up again while its down.

Thanks for the info.

Suavy

Old 09-06-2003 | 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Suavy
Ayrton,

So your saying I should have torqued the deck plates to 80 lb when they block was honed? I don't think that happened. Are you a mechanic? Not questioning your abilities I just want to make sure this is first hand info cuz I'm gonna freshen my engine up again while its down.

Thanks for the info.

Suavy
Torque plates should always be torqued to the head fastener spec. This way the bore is honed with the exact simulation of the heads being installed.

Old 09-06-2003 | 11:57 PM
Have the shop machine the block with the thickest torque plates possible (thin plates won't simulate the stiffness of the head), and install the head gaskets and studs you'll be using (torqed correctly). As an added measure, install the mains with the main studs you'll be using to help accurately distort the block.

If you wanna get tricky, some of the really high end race shops can pass coolant through the block, heated to operating temp. The temp of the block will affect the block distorion. Chances are you'll have to skip this step, but if you want total precision its the only way to fly. Its the little details that add up in the end.

Old 09-07-2003 | 12:33 AM
Sal, Nice to hear from you thanks for the info. I'd would of thought youd be racing some where?

Suavy

Old 09-07-2003 | 12:38 AM
rscoleman,

Thanks for your help also makes sence to me. I wasn't there when they machined it. The head gasket issue was kind of a good thing cuz I want to see how the engine was wearing in any ways.

I am not going to let them build it just freshen it up. The repair bay technicians at my plant said they want to do it for me no charge. They even said just bring it to work and they'd build it in the parking lot!

I work For Ford at Romeo Engine Plt. where the Terminator and GT-40 engine are made.

Quick Reply: Magnum Powers & JDM!