Lightning

Magnum Powers & JDM!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003 | 01:31 AM
I only gave you half the info by mistake and Sal gave you the other half (thanks Sal) I was in a hurry and what I was trying to explain was that the deck plates should be torqued to the fastener spec and then the heads torqued to the same.

These deck plates are from Accufab…

Old 09-07-2003 | 02:25 AM
Holy cow Suavy isnt that the second time that motor has come apart now since June?

Good luck. The 24# @3000 rpm might be just too much.

Old 09-07-2003 | 03:18 AM
would this be something I could/should consider as my first "real mod"? or do I need to build up the motor, etc first? how cool would that be for me to slap this thing on with 12lbs as my first mod, then go from there...seein what each mod adds to this badass supercharger

sooooo...JDM, etc....anyone wanna sponsor me?

-Mike

P.S. ...not joking...I got a bone stock 03 L with about 1000 miles on it

Last edited by Red03SVT; 09-07-2003 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2003 | 07:22 AM
Through my research an application I have learned that the primary strength (in my opinion) of the KB can be found at high boost and the build of power in combination with efficiency, the Works has a huge "out of the hole" low end strength, plus it looks great.............

If you could point to one advantage (other than price) what would you hang your hat on with this new design?

D-Day

Old 09-07-2003 | 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Suavy
I would love to give you those numbers!
I went to the track last weekend and even put my big pulley on using my every day driver setting. However, I blew my head gasket going into 3rd gear. All the boost lifted my head and put coolant in my combustion chamber. This blew the top of my expansion tank. So now I'm down to replace my head gasket and a front cover that I broke removing the dampner.

It sounded great went through 1st good with no detenation, then 2nd fine, going into 3rd I went to wide open throttle I heard a pop and then a water fall of coolant covered my windshield. I got of the track and had it towed home. One other thing the heads were torqued to 70 ft. lb and I found out later they should have been at least 75 with my set up.

Suavy
Id double check the 75# spec.....I retorqued my heads as per ARP specs of 16% max over stock, wich came out to 78ftlbs.....this process is critical...the secret is to torque your heads in sequence and starting at 55#s or so and go 10 ftlbs up at a time.....

Old 09-07-2003 | 12:25 PM
good info in this thread.

so what exactly are the deck plated used for?

Old 09-07-2003 | 12:49 PM
Banned
Originally posted by Dan_03Lightning
Through my research an application I have learned that the primary strength (in my opinion) of the KB can be found at high boost and the build of power in combination with efficiency, the Works has a huge "out of the hole" low end strength, plus it looks great.............

If you could point to one advantage (other than price) what would you hang your hat on with this new design?

D-Day
Look at Dale's dyno graph, he is making 600+ lbft at 2800 RPM or less. Thats at 14-16 PSI.

Old 09-07-2003 | 04:15 PM
Calightnin

Yes it is the second time...
1) The right bank was set 3 links off to the tune of 3 pistons and 7 valves and 3 rocker arms.

2) heads torqued to 70 ft lb. and they leifted at full boost.

My repair bay tech here at the engine plant are gonna put it together this time.

Suavy

Old 09-07-2003 | 04:17 PM
promodlightning,

Thats what the repair bay tech here in the plant recomeneded. I should have it back together by next week.

Thanks again,

Suavy

Old 09-07-2003 | 04:26 PM
Red03SVT,

I'm gonna attempt to answer your question but might get flamed!

I am no way an expert on superchargers just a test mule!

I was told that you should be able to put the Magnum Powers Blower on a stock engine.

The blower is not real violent out of the hole I have looked at a few othe bran blowers graphs and they come on strong right away but start to drop off.
If you look at the MP graph it comes alive at about 3K rpm.
Don't get me wrong I think it pulls great out of the hole but when you reach about 3 K rpms. it sets you back in the seat. Had quite a few people come over to talk to me at Lapeer drag way last weekend to see what they hell I was runing in my truck. They said that thing reals screams. One other thing I noticed about it compared to the stock Eaton is that, the Eaton used to seem like it was out of power about 3/4 of the way through the 1/4 but the MP feels like it could keep going.

Suavy

Old 09-07-2003 | 04:36 PM
Banned
It looks like it holds it's power through the entire RPM range kinda like a screw Thats weird I was told that is the downfall of a roots.

Old 09-07-2003 | 04:44 PM
eaton, like I said I'm no expert just sharing my 2 cents.

I'm gonna shoot to compete next year start of the season and follow the Lightning curcit.

I can say this as many time as I have pulled this engine and supercharger I think I'm getting pretty fast at it. We pulled it in 4 hrs. 3 guys start to finish.

Peace, Suavy

Old 09-07-2003 | 05:05 PM
suavy... thanks for the response. I hear KB is safe on a "stock block" too, just don't go crazy on the boost. so I'm figuring the MP supercharger would be about the same. I do plan on getting this thing up to speed, it's just a matter of time, money, and know-how. I am pretty familiar with NA LS1 engines (my last car), but supercharged fords are kinda new to me.

I wish some shop'd take my bone stock 03 and "sponsor" me...heheh

-Mike

Old 09-07-2003 | 07:52 PM
Red03svt,

Response to the sponsor thing... It never hurts to ask! Thats how I got mine. Told them what I was up to and what my goals are and here I am.

Suavy

Old 09-08-2003 | 12:21 AM
Originally posted by cpeapea
good info in this thread.

so what exactly are the deck plated used for?
When you torque down the heads the block will distort a certain amount so in order to match the distortion amount you hone or bore the block with the decking plates torque down to simulate the cylinder heads. This is a must do if you are machining the block.

Quick Reply: Magnum Powers & JDM!