Lightning

Prospective Lightning questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003 | 12:11 AM
|
Prospective Lightning questions

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a lightning and have been doing some research. I have a couple questions:

1) With a bed cover and some light mods (air intake, chip, exhaust) will i be gaining any mpg back? I only ask because here in CA we're going thru a rediculous gas price increase that has me by the *****, im not sure a 12/14mpg truck would help me out.

2) I am looking at buying a used L, something with around 10-30k miles on it. What price range should these be in? So far ive seen them at or around 24-28k dollars, i am looking to spend under 25k.

3) What are the major differences between the year models of 1999, 2k, 2k1, and 2k2? I dont think i can afford a 2003, thats why i left it out of the equation.

Thanks alot, and i hope to become a faithful member of this forum with my future L

Patrick

Old 09-03-2003 | 12:15 AM
Banned
why dont you ask spankdog, ****, or anyone of the other kenne bell guys, they seem to know everything, they can you all you need to know about lightnings.

Old 09-03-2003 | 05:31 AM
|
uhhh...i guess. BTT, i found a couple good deals on some lightnings in the Los Angeles area since i will be going to school there.

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 09-03-2003 | 05:41 AM
Banned
Originally posted by eatoncharged
why dont you ask spankdog, ****, or anyone of the other kenne bell guys, they seem to know everything, they can you all you need to know about lightnings.
You do NOT want a war with me.

Besides, its my opinion that a KB is an inferior design sitting next to a Works 140. You OBVIOUSLY dont read a damn word thats written around here.

Old 09-03-2003 | 05:49 AM
COME ON ****........you can come out of the closet now.......Your a KB guy aren't ya......
Chip-N-Dale

Old 09-03-2003 | 05:51 AM
Banned
Re: Prospective Lightning questions

Originally posted by LeftCoastLax
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a lightning and have been doing some research. I have a couple questions:

1) With a bed cover and some light mods (air intake, chip, exhaust) will i be gaining any mpg back? I only ask because here in CA we're going thru a rediculous gas price increase that has me by the *****, im not sure a 12/14mpg truck would help me out.

2) I am looking at buying a used L, something with around 10-30k miles on it. What price range should these be in? So far ive seen them at or around 24-28k dollars, i am looking to spend under 25k.

3) What are the major differences between the year models of 1999, 2k, 2k1, and 2k2? I dont think i can afford a 2003, thats why i left it out of the equation.

Thanks alot, and i hope to become a faithful member of this forum with my future L

Patrick
Hey Pat, welcome to the board

I actually lost MPG when they shoved that new 20% Ethanol mixed fuel on us. I lost 2 MPG's. I did manage 13 mpg before hand though, which is quite good for city driving. Mileage does very depending on how much you hit boost.

Prices vary from dealer to dealer and even private party. There's a used Silver one sitting at Power Ford in HB but theres no prices on it. I would say the lowest ive seen used is $21K and the highest being $26K.

Differences in years are as follow.

99-00
360 HP, 80 MM MAF, 5 star wheels with 12mm lug, intercooler problems but were recalled. If you choose this year, be sure to track down if it has the recal or not. This will be your lower prices truck since its much older. Also, no center console with compass thingy. Colors Red, Black, Silver and White

01-02
380HP, 90MM Maf, New 5 spoke wheels, 14mm lugs, new intercooler design. Center upper console with compass. Different oh **** handles. Different headlights, 3rd brake light and altezza tails. Colors, Red, Silver, Black, True Blue, White

New wheels again, larger payload that places the *** up in the air, 2 new colors ( Sonic Blue and Dark Shadow Gray ), indash 6 dish changer, no rear storage box, new designed cylinder heads with 8-10 threads vs the 4 theads on the 99-02's. No worries about launching plugs. I have these heads on my 02.

Old 09-03-2003 | 06:05 AM
|
thanks for the info ****, that was the perfect breakdown of the 99-03's. I think i wanna go with a 01-02 with around 10-20k miles on it. I heard that the 99-00's get a little better gas mileage with the 3.55 gear set.

About the gas mileage, i think i would put a cover over the bed, an intake, and maybe a chip, thats it. Only things that would hopefully help out my mpg. I think a stock L would suit me fine, im used to ridding around on a bucket of nails grand cherokee lifted 6" with 33's, i dont go very fast

Thanks for the info, any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been doing some research on the L reliability and the problems people mostly have. Hopefully this all pans out.

One more newbie question, when listing this car under your insurance, do they know its a lightning?

Patrick

Old 09-03-2003 | 06:33 AM
Originally posted by LeftCoastLax
thanks for the info ****, that was the perfect breakdown of the 99-03's. I think i wanna go with a 01-02 with around 10-20k miles on it. One more question, when listing this car under your insurance, do they know its a lightning?

Patrick

Welcome Patrick

Yes they know it's a Lightning,
but if you got a good driving record, (or your older (I am)
then it's not bad at all, I pay @ 1k per yr here in NY

BTW
If you willing to travel to NY, I'd consider selling you my
MINT 02 for whats left on the loan $23,710.00
(has under 12K on it)

Old 09-03-2003 | 08:03 AM
Banned
Rob your *** isnt going anyhere

You can increase your gas mileage with a chip believe it or not. The factory ECU programming makes these trucks run extremely rich, which will give ya some crappy mileage. Talk to some of the vendors to see what programs they offer. I know PSP has an economy program.

Old 09-03-2003 | 11:38 AM
Banned
Originally posted by Flying ****
You do NOT want a war with me.

Old 09-03-2003 | 11:54 AM
Patrick,

Note that MOST of L's sold came with a soft bed cover(tonneau). If the bed has rails on the sides or looks like it had rails on the side(they are extruded aluminum pieces), ask the dealer where the rest of the bed cover went. I think it's a pretty well designed part for a soft cover.

Good luck! Randy

Old 09-03-2003 | 12:52 PM
Re: Re: Prospective Lightning questions

Originally posted by Flying ****
Hey Pat, welcome to the board

I actually lost MPG when they shoved that new 20% Ethanol mixed fuel on us. I lost 2 MPG's. I did manage 13 mpg before hand though, which is quite good for city driving. Mileage does very depending on how much you hit boost.

Prices vary from dealer to dealer and even private party. There's a used Silver one sitting at Power Ford in HB but theres no prices on it. I would say the lowest ive seen used is $21K and the highest being $26K.

Differences in years are as follow. Minor corrections:

99-00
360 HP, 80 MM MAF, 5 star wheels with 12mm lug, intercooler problems but were recalled. If you choose this year, be sure to track down if it has the recal or not. This will be your lower prices truck since its much older. Also, no center console with compass thingy. Colors Red, Black, Silver and White

00 has the 14mm lugs and the center console with the compass thingy, and 99-00 have 3.55 gears the newer ones are 3.73.

01-02
380HP, 90MM Maf, New 5 spoke wheels, 14mm lugs, new intercooler design. Center upper console with compass. Different oh **** handles. Different headlights, 3rd brake light and altezza tails. Colors, Red, Silver, Black, True Blue, White,

Door keypad too?

New wheels again, larger payload that places the *** up in the air, 2 new colors ( Sonic Blue and Dark Shadow Gray ), indash 6 dish changer, no rear storage box, new designed cylinder heads with 8-10 threads vs the 4 theads on the 99-02's. No worries about launching plugs. I have these heads on my 02.

Last edited by Silver_2000; 09-03-2003 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2003 | 02:53 PM
|
thanks for all the advice. This is what i drive right now

It rides like crap and gets decent gas mileage, but im thinking of selling it for the L because its getting pretty high up in miles and i dont wanna deal with any future problems. I do alot of wheeling but figured i need a better car to get me around town and just get a dedicated trail rig for wheeling. THe thing is, i cant stand driving just "any other" car around town, so i figured the L is almost as cool as my jeep

I'm in the process of putting it up for sale, but i need to work a couple kinks out of the suspension system and drivetrain.

If i can average around 16/19 on the L (im hoping with the cover, the mods mentioned and a REALLY light foot), thats about as good or even better than what i average with the jeep. I figure i can save gas driving around with a light foot, but when someone wants to tussle, ill give em a time and place to meet me.

Old 09-03-2003 | 03:27 PM
Cool

FM,

You got almost all of it right except:

The 99-00 have 3.55 gears vs 3.73 gears for 01-03.

The 00 has 14mm lugs and the overhead console.

I'm not sure if there was silver in 99.

Old 09-03-2003 | 05:24 PM
only black red and white in 99

Quick Reply: Prospective Lightning questions