Lightning

Has anyone gotten the Moroso Oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003 | 11:58 PM
|
Has anyone gotten the Moroso Oil pan

Or am I going to be the guinea pig.

I like that fact that it has baffles for hard acceleration and a 7 quart capacity.
Besides it looks BADAZZ
I am ordering it on monday.

Anybody w/ any experience w/ it?

http://www.moroso.com/html/html_disp...ightningad.htm

VINNIE

Old 09-07-2003 | 12:03 AM
Old 09-07-2003 | 12:06 AM
|

I've been right here.

I said Oil , not tranny. Although the tranny pan is abeautiful piece, but has anybody tried the $421.64 oil pan yet ?

Old 09-07-2003 | 12:15 AM
Doh! Sorry Vin I'm a tard. I should have read more closely.

I don't know of anyone who has used the oil pan yet. If it's anything like the tranny pan you will love it.

Old 09-07-2003 | 12:18 AM
|
Originally posted by MISTERgadget
Doh! Sorry Vin I'm a tard. I should have read more closely.

I don't know of anyone who has used the oil pan yet. If it's anything like the tranny pan you will love it.

Its all good.
I just appreciate you even checking for me. That is what this board was like and needs more of IMO.

VINNIE

Old 09-07-2003 | 12:18 AM
Vinnie-

I had the Moroso oil pan installed with my built engine. I will try to post some pics tomorrow if I have a chance. I know that the installer said that there was an issue with the oil filter. The regular size oil filter would not fit - I have to use a special K&N oil filter. I have not had to change the oil filter yet, so I am not sure exactly what the issue is.

Dave

Old 09-07-2003 | 12:23 AM
|
Originally posted by D_Coburn
Vinnie-

I had the Moroso oil pan installed with my built engine. I will try to post some pics tomorrow if I have a chance. I know that the installer said that there was an issue with the oil filter. The regular size oil filter would not fit - I have to use a special K&N oil filter. I have not had to change the oil filter yet, so I am not sure exactly what the issue is.

Dave

Dave ,

thanks for the heads up.

Long time no hear from. Hows the L runnin' ?
Haven't heard anything lately and obviously if you haven't changed your oil yet the L hasn't been driven much.

VINNIE

Old 09-07-2003 | 01:07 AM
I don't know if anyone has coughed up the change yet for that pan. The trans pan is a thing of beauty I know that. I am looking into becoming a dealer for Moroso maybe. How is the truck coming along>??? Isn't Shawn at Cordova with Jim right now though>??? I can't wait to see that beast run! You are gonna be at JDM day and Fords at Etown right>??? Hope to see ya there! Make sure you post up some pics of that pan if you do buy. I will have to make it standard equipment on my motor when it gets built. Best of luck. -Mat-

Old 09-07-2003 | 01:12 AM
Hey Vinnie,
I don't know what the difference is exactly, but over at the Sean Hyland site they list a 5.4L Moroso drag race oil pan:

I know it doesn't appear to be as BLING as the one you found, but it's listed at only $225. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, maybe the shm one is an older version? worth a phone call at least.

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...og_pg2_2.shtml

(edit: after further inspection, the above pan MAY be a dry sump part, but they list another one for $395? the catalog is kindof confusing as to which is which?)

Large capacity oil pan, specially baffled for road race use. Keeps oil by pickup tube, not up in the front cover area. Tig welded, power coated construction.$395
later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 09-07-2003 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-07-2003 | 01:16 AM
|
Originally posted by SVT F15O
I don't know if anyone has coughed up the change yet for that pan. The trans pan is a thing of beauty I know that. I am looking into becoming a dealer for Moroso maybe. How is the truck coming along>??? Isn't Shawn at Cordova with Jim right now though>??? I can't wait to see that beast run! You are gonna be at JDM day and Fords at Etown right>??? Hope to see ya there! Make sure you post up some pics of that pan if you do buy. I will have to make it standard equipment on my motor when it gets built. Best of luck. -Mat-

Shaun is coming back on monday to finish the install (Jim is going straight to texas) .So hopefully I will have it next week.

I was talking to my brother who has been racing forever (everything from motocross, to 8 sec. 1/4 mile cars, to big block Dirt modifieds ) and hangs out at Truppi/Klings(very famous 1/4 mile motor builder) shop a lot and when I was telling him what I was doing , he seemed concerned about the stock oil pan. Now I know he is not a lightning expert and there does not seem to be any issues with the stock pan but it definately can't hurt to try a moroso product.

Yes, I will be at the Lightning shootout, JDM day and Fords @ E-town.
God, I love October.

VINNIE

Old 09-07-2003 | 01:17 AM
|
Originally posted by superfords
Hey Vinnie,
I don't know what the difference is exactly, but over at the Sean Hyland site they list a 5.4L Moroso drag race oil pan:

I know it doesn't appear to be as BLING as the one you found, but it's listed at only $225. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, maybe the shm one is an older version? worth a phone call at least.

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...og_pg2_2.shtml

later,
chris

Chris, Thank you.

I will check it out.

VINNIE

Old 09-07-2003 | 01:19 AM
Smile

I got the Moroso aluminum pan and the Canton windage tray/scraper to go with it but have not bolted it up yet, it will be soon tho. The aluminum pan is Lightning specific and I can't believe there would be a problem with the oil filter, they really shaved the kickout on that side of the motor.....I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Dale

Old 09-07-2003 | 11:27 AM
Seems like the new " Bling" Moroso oil pan would be his best choice.

Taken from Tim's Site:

I like the road racing model from Canton, which offers better fluid control and less chance of oil starvation under extreme lateral g's. The Canton pan offers slightly increased capacity (7 qts. versus the stock 6) for a somewhat increased ability to deal with short-term heat loads. The basic 4.6/5.4 pan (part # 15-780) has a baffle system to keep the oil in the bottom of the sump. It appears that Canton takes a stock pan and just welds on the sump area.
Unlike the Canton pan, Moroso make theirs from scratch with a billet rail.
Compare thge construction of the SHM Moroso Pan and the Canton Road Racing Pan.

They both use stock pans with material added on.

Now look at the new moroso oil pan, made from scratch with a billet rail:

For me the chice would be clear. And it would match my tranny pan.

Old 09-07-2003 | 02:12 PM
Thumbs up Nice Piece

Hey Vinnie, I think that's a great oil pan. I think I'm going to check into one of these, thanks, John H.

Old 09-07-2003 | 07:37 PM
I have it on my truck and there were no issue or clearence problems with oil filter. instructions say you may have to remove blower and raise engine up or slide the tranny back to install it. Fortunately i installed mine on the engine stand on my built motor . But bent the heck out of my trannny lines installing the motor but straightened them out ok. almost forgot issue with drain plug was very tight when i unscrewed it put back in it wanted to cross thread, carefully tightened and loosened with some oil and it freed up nicely. Might be a pain in the azz if it was your first oil change and that happened. Bought mine from summit $345 with 10% off coupon. Also looks bad AZZ you will like it, especially if you polish it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone gotten the Moroso Oil pan