Lightning

monster box failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003 | 02:26 PM
mis decking the converter....Yeah, you will have to ask Gregg about this...... You would think installing a tranny was easy...

Old 09-09-2003 | 02:34 PM
|
If the converter is only in 2 steps (it needs to be three) you can "pull it" the last 1/4 inch with the bell housing bolts, but doing that will ram the shoulder on the hub into the pump gear, the pump gear cracks, and it'll last a little while sometimes, but it fractures and you have no pump pressure, or low pump pressure, and no engage, it's more common than you think.
If the pump gear is cracked or broken, why do I have REVERSE,doesn't that gear require the most presure. Idrove it home in REVERSE

Last edited by bigdaddy's L; 09-09-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2003 | 04:34 PM
Every auto tranny I have ever had pump failure on with all brands of cars, when the pump failed, reverse was the only working gear.

Darryl

Old 09-10-2003 | 12:55 AM
I blew trans pump on my Gen 1 and drove home 10 miles in reverse.....

Old 09-10-2003 | 05:28 AM
Looking at the pictures it may also be the snap ring that holds the boost valve in could have let go, that would give you low pressure also. Reverse needs a lot to engage, but it holds with only 62 lbs of pressure, a cracked gear or a popped vlave will give you that much. It may be easier to replace the pump there than ship it here, the geartrain is good or you wouldn't have gotten it 1000 miles, it's almost certainly a pump problem though. I''ve got your number, we'll talk about it tomorrow.

G

Old 10-20-2003 | 11:25 AM
|
Looks like I'm out $600. bucks. I sent Factory tech a letter via U.S. mail , no response. I also sent an e-mail, delivery denied. I did give him a chance to make it right. This Monster box was bad from the start. I took it over to Tommy @ Outrageous Performance, the vendor, to show him what it was doing the day it was installed. It would take about 2 or 3 seconds to go in gear. Rather than ship it back to Factory tech (more money) for him to, I'm quoting him, "clean it up" I decided to try to live with it. Well about a thousand miles latter no forward gears. So out it comes and back it goes and he did rebuilt it and pay to ship it back to me. What about the cost I incurred due to this faulty product, not to mention the time with out the Lightning. I know I'm probably going to get bashed for posting this but I'm not happy with the outcome.

Old 10-20-2003 | 01:00 PM
How did you come up with $600? Sounds like you paid to ship it to Greg.

I think working with a small company, you just can't expect him to pay for everything, and it sounds like he paid for everything except the shipping.

What about the cost I incurred due to this faulty product, not to mention the time with out the Lightning.
You will never get this type of reimbursement from any company, big or small.

Old 10-20-2003 | 02:48 PM
In all fairness what did you think was going to happen?

You may have received a bum trans, but the vendor made it right and paid to ship it back to you. The same principle applies to something that would cost considerably less to ship. I doubt anyone would give it a second thought if it was something like a chip that would only cost $10 to ship.

Perhaps you would like to try this sort of thing with another transmission builder and see what happens…*cough*Level 10*cough*

Old 10-20-2003 | 02:58 PM
well, since nobody has said it yet...

"You Gotta Pay To Play"

nobody forced you to replace your tranny, you could have kept your stock one and saved alot of money.

this is part of the game when dealing with performance parts unfortunately.

at least Greg got you another tranny, some performance parts companies wouldn't even do that.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, there are no warranties on the Monster Box. Technically gregg didn't have to send you another one, but he did.

not trying to make light of your situation, I know it sucks, but like I said unfortnuately it's all part of this game we play.

later,
chris

Old 10-20-2003 | 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Ayrton
In all fairness what did you think was going to happen?

You may have received a bum trans, but the vendor made it right and paid to ship it back to you. The same principle applies to something that would cost considerably less to ship. I doubt anyone would give it a second thought if it was something like a chip that would only cost $10 to ship.

Perhaps you would like to try this sort of thing with another transmission builder and see what happens…*cough*Level 10*cough*
Since you mentioned it, if he had it built locally and it failed after a 1000 miles the shop that built it would have made it right at no cost to him.

Transmissions aren't like all the other mail order parts that we just bolt on. There are big shipping and R&R cost involved.

If the shoe was on the other foot I don't think you would be so smug.

It makes me think twice about mail ordering a tranny. If something goes wrong then your out the cost of R&R plus shipping it back. So what if Gregg sent him another tranny and paid to ship it to him. What about the R&R and shipping back.

I know if this happened to me I'd be hotter than a $2 pistol too.

Old 10-20-2003 | 04:49 PM
|
Ironically I agree with you
"You Gotta Pay To Play"
but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play. You should read the post more carefully. I said the trans. was bad the day it was installed and that I tried to live with it but after a thousand mile it totally failed. If you received a trans. that didn't work right the day you installed it would you consider that " pay to play".

Last edited by bigdaddy's L; 10-20-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2003 | 05:04 PM
Originally posted by bigdaddy's L
. I drove it home in REVERSE
LMAO!!!!
Hope you get everything resloved.

Old 10-20-2003 | 05:07 PM
you think thats bad, I was about 40 miles from my house with nothing but street lights after street lights in the middle of chicago when my gear pumps went out on my trans, but don't sweat it cause when it comes to transmissions gregg is the most stand up person you'll ever deal with.

Old 10-20-2003 | 05:27 PM
Originally posted by LTNBOLT

If the shoe was on the other foot I don't think you would be so smug.

I did not mean to sound smug and I have been thru something very similar a few times. I have had complete engines that broke after install and I had to remove the engine and send it back to the builder. (Granted motorcycle engines are a bit lighter) My point however was that the trans broke and the vendor replaced it. The shipping is unfortunately the down side of such a deal. I suppose if Factory Tech was just down the street it would make things different, but they are not. I suppose you could just use a local trans builder (if any) but you have to assume it would not be the same as a Monster Box.

Old 10-20-2003 | 06:32 PM
You can buy the Monster in a Box kit and have it installed locally.

It's not just the shipping. It is the extra Removal & Replacement that gets you too. R&R is usually 350-400 dollars. It adds up quick when the tranny has to be pulled again.

Quick Reply: monster box failure