Lightning

monster box failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003 | 07:32 PM
|
monster box failure

monster box failure
I had a monster box and total domination converter installed about a thousand miles ago. I took it out for a ride today, it's not a daily driver, I got a couple of blocks from my house no forward gears. With the shipping and installation costs I'm way over 3 grand on this trans.and it failed already. I'm so mad right now I can't even think straight.

Old 09-08-2003 | 07:40 PM
Contact Gregg, not us. He'll work it out with you. Gregg is a stand up guy and has great customer service.

Old 09-08-2003 | 07:41 PM
It woul problably be more of a isntallation or part combo error, those boxes are rare for problems.

Old 09-08-2003 | 07:42 PM
I have the same set up haven't had any issues. Sorry to hear about your troubles! did you contact Greg? Let me know if you need a e-mail address or phone number for Greg.

Suavy

Old 09-08-2003 | 07:58 PM
|
I emailed outrageous performance and posted on gregg's page. I didn't even give them a chance to respond, I'm
so mad. I probably should give them a chance, before I wrote this.
It seems like I just got it back together.

Suavy
yes,my email--- rpingitore@comcast.net

Last edited by bigdaddy's L; 09-08-2003 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2003 | 11:07 PM
Originally posted by bigdaddy's L
I emailed outrageous performance and posted on gregg's page. I didn't even give them a chance to respond, I'm
so mad. I probably should give them a chance, before I wrote this.
It seems like I just got it back together.

Suavy
yes,my email--- rpingitore@comcast.net
Unfortunately failures are a part of life and we learn to deal with them. What seperates the good companies from the bad companies is how they take care of their customers. From information on here, Greg Evans is a stand up guy and stands behind his product.

Old 09-09-2003 | 12:19 AM
|
Unfortunately failures are a part of life and we learn to deal with them. What seperates the good companies from the bad companies is how they take care of their customers. From information on here, Greg Evans is a stand up guy and stands behind his product
Your right, From information on here, Greg Evans is a stand up guy and stands behind his product, but why I'm so pissed is, I have already spent $300 to ship it,and another $375 to install it. Now it has to be towed. more money to R&R again,plus shipping it back to Ohio,then back to me, this is adding up.

Old 09-09-2003 | 12:20 AM
Dont sweat it...you will be taken care of by Gregg.....

Old 09-09-2003 | 12:21 AM
Banned
I will never forget the time Gregg overnighted me a VB. I called at 5 my time and by 8 the next day it was there.

Old 09-09-2003 | 06:15 AM
Originally posted by MaxTorque02
Unfortunately failures are a part of life and we learn to deal with them. What seperates the good companies from the bad companies is how they take care of their customers. From information on here, Greg Evans is a stand up guy and stands behind his product.
That is probably one of the best things I have ever heard on the forum! Transmissions are a difficult thing to do. Also a lot of time you are relying on someone else's parts to work. If they don't then you look bad. It sucks but is the way life goes. Judging by past precedent I am sure Gregg will take care of your problem. Although I get mad in similar situations you do need to realize he is only human like the rest of us and can make mistakes or get a bad part from the get go.

What exactly is the tranny doing anyways>??? My it could be something simple that you can fix yourself or it could always be installer error. I see that a lot when I do bench jobs(customer does the install) at work. Best of luck getting it fixed. -Mat-

Old 09-09-2003 | 09:32 AM
Well, being having a 1,000 miles on the tranny/converter, I don't know if it would be an install error or not. There is not much you can do to mess up an install. The worse you can do is not tighten the housing bolts or run the fluid level real low.

I had a Monster box fail at 150-200 miles and got a hold of Gregg and he made it right with me. I really don't know whose fault it was. When Gregg got it back and cracked it open the 2nd gear clutches were toasted. However Gregg sent me another one.

I know you will have expenses on shipping, towing, and install and I can't help you out there, but that is part of the situation.

Sorry

Old 09-09-2003 | 10:41 AM
Originally posted by J.D. Blackwell
... There is not much you can do to mess up an install. The worse you can do is not tighten the housing bolts or run the fluid level real low...
If the converter wasn't fully seated it could have done some damage the first time the truck was started and slowly burnt its self up over time.

--Steele

Old 09-09-2003 | 12:59 PM
Originally posted by skennett
If the converter wasn't fully seated it could have done some damage the first time the truck was started and slowly burnt its self up over time.

--Steele
If the converter wasnt fully seated the tranny wouldnt bolt up to motor.....this has to be internal....with no forward gears it could be a front pump failure......but lets Gregg make his assessment , hes the real expert....

Old 09-09-2003 | 01:33 PM
Originally posted by promodlightning
If the converter wasnt fully seated the tranny wouldnt bolt up to motor.....this has to be internal....with no forward gears it could be a front pump failure......but lets Gregg make his assessment , hes the real expert....
Simply trying to word what happened to my first monster box installation. Maybe Greg's words are clearer:

Originally posted by Greg Evans here
... All of the problems I've had with Monster Boxes since I started dynoing them have been installation related ( mostly mis decking the converter, which fractures the pump gear)...
--Steele

Last edited by skennett; 09-09-2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2003 | 02:22 PM
If the converter is only in 2 steps (it needs to be three) you can "pull it" the last 1/4 inch with the bell housing bolts, but doing that will ram the shoulder on the hub into the pump gear, the pump gear cracks, and it'll last a little while sometimes, but it fractures and you have no pump pressure, or low pump pressure, and no engage, it's more common than you think.

G

Quick Reply: monster box failure