Lightning

Got theTR6s intalled and she's back to normal..well...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003 | 11:04 PM
|
Got theTR6s intalled and she's back to normal..well...

I pulled the Autolites tonight and installed the TR6s. I can't believe how much easier it was to do the install the second time around. First time was like 5 hrs and this time only took 1 3/4 hrs. I was super proud of myself Anyway, the truck seems much smoother at idle and it may be because I had the autolites in but, she seems to run a lot crisper with the TR6s. Also, I picked-up the plugs at Advanced auto parts and I ordered 2 sets, one TR6 set and one TR5 set. Funny thing is that there was 2 used ones in the TR5 set. NICE!!! Well, they are going to give me my money back for the Autolies and give me some new TR5s tomorrow. Sad to report that I still have the ticking noise when I put the truck in gear. If she's in park or neutral there is no tick but as soon as you put it in gear she's ticking away.

Jim

Old 09-16-2003 | 01:44 AM
Id return the TR5s and get a backup set of TR6s..

Old 09-16-2003 | 02:54 AM
I would return the TR6s and get the DENSOS IT20s. Densos rock!! I am not bias am I........

Old 09-16-2003 | 03:06 AM
Originally posted by AZ fun
I would return the TR6s and get the DENSOS IT20s. Densos rock!! I am not bias am I........
I run the Denso IT-24s, they rock too, but the TR6s still work good for me if I back off my boost...

Old 09-16-2003 | 09:13 AM
I went from TR6's to Denso IT-22's last week. The TR6's looked real good when I removed but the Densos give me a much smoother idle and also removed a slight miss I had at idle.

Old 09-16-2003 | 09:19 AM
|
Speaking of that slight miss at idle, on the way to work this morning I was started to hear a different tick. I opened the hood and I can see a pully possibly the idler or AC pully stoping and engaging every 10 seconds. Don't laugh but, I'm not sure what pully it is and it has two round "plugs" that pop out when it stops and go back in when it turns. Each time it does this, it ticks. Any ideas? It's on the passenger side and I think it's next to the crankshaft pully. It's pretty far down on the fron of the bock. I was not running the ac and when it ticks or engages the rpms drop a little. I have never had this happen before but maybe I'v figured out my other tick (I hope).

Anyone have any ideas?

Jim

Old 09-16-2003 | 09:21 AM
|
BTW, I got the replacement TR5s and the other TR6s today and they are going to issue a refund for my Autolites tomorrow morning. The manager seemed stunned when I showed him the email from Autolite saying not to use the APP103's he is sending it to the corporate office. He looked them up again and there they were listed under a 2000 Ford F150 Lightning

Jim

Old 09-16-2003 | 09:24 AM
Originally posted by simmy711
Speaking of that slight miss at idle, on the way to work this morning I was started to hear a different tick. I opened the hood and I can see a pully possibly the idler or AC pully stoping and engaging every 10 seconds. Don't laugh but, I'm not sure what pully it is and it has two round "plugs" that pop out when it stops and go back in when it turns. Each time it does this, it ticks. Any ideas? It's on the passenger side and I think it's next to the crankshaft pully. It's pretty far down on the fron of the bock. I was not running the ac and when it ticks or engages the rpms drop a little. I have never had this happen before but maybe I'v figured out my other tick (I hope).

Anyone have any ideas?

Jim
Probably had your defrosters or a/c on...it's your AC Clutch.

Old 09-16-2003 | 09:44 AM
|
Odd, no ac on or defrosters. I've never heard this before, is it the only pully with the two "plugs" that pop in and out when the pully engages? Sorry for the terms I'm using I'm really not retarded ....honest!

Old 09-16-2003 | 10:06 AM

Anyone have any ideas?

Jim
Same thing happened to my 01 L. Dealer replaced the A/C compressor, which was bad. Truck was under warrantee and covered.

Old 09-16-2003 | 10:41 AM
|
Well unfortunatly for me the warranty on my L was up two weeks ago. I've only got 29K miles but the 36 months ran out. Any idea how much that might cost and/or what problems this may cause?

Odd thing is that is was not doing this before I changed the plugs. Or at least I think it wasn't I'm much more aware of noises after spending so much time under the hood with the plugs.

Jim

BTW, did it get faster or louder when you take it out of park???

Old 09-16-2003 | 10:50 AM
Well unfortunatly for me the warranty on my L was up two weeks ago. I've only got 29K miles but the 36 months ran out. Any idea how much that might cost and/or what problems this may cause?

Odd thing is that is was not doing this before I changed the plugs. Or at least I think it wasn't I'm much more aware of noises after spending so much time under the hood with the plugs.

Jim

BTW, did it get faster or louder when you take it out of park???
Check with your dealer. They have some leway when warranty work is concerned. With yours just expiring with miles left, they may cut you some slack.

If I remember correctly, the compressor was ~ $500 minus labor. I noticed mine when it wouldn't cool the interior. Seems that this was not a new occurance to the dealer. I talked to the tech who replaced it and he insuated that this happens often.

Joe

Old 09-16-2003 | 01:00 PM
|
I wonder if it was just stuck or something, I think I've run the AC maybe twice in the past year. I always cruise with the windows down and no AC. Anyway, I turned the ac on after I started her and off and on and off and on. Well, now there is no noise hmmm....wonder if I need to fire-up the ac every once in a while?

Jim

Old 09-17-2003 | 02:04 PM
Simmy, you definitely need to run the

AC at least once a month for half hour to keep seals lubed properly. Start off nice with dealer "that shouldn't have this problem at 29K". If nice doesn't work, work your way up food chain at dealer, then go to "zone", then up till you get satisfaction. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2003 | 07:54 PM
What jake said........always run the a/c at least once a week for a few minutes. Seals WILL go bad if you don't.

Dan

Quick Reply: Got theTR6s intalled and she's back to normal..well...