Lightning

Insane oil burning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003 | 03:08 AM
|
Question Insane oil burning?

Hey everyone, i have about 14,400 miles on my truck it's a 2002 and i bought it brand new. It's been about 2,000 mile since my last oil change. Today i decided to check my oil and realized that ther was nothing on the dipstick. Ended up adding 2 quartz of oil till i was able to get it onto the stick. Are our trucks supposed to be burning oil this bad. I use Amzoil Synthetic 5W30.

What could be the problem.

My truck has been burning oil ever since i got it. It also used to shoot black smoke out of the exhaust every once in a while but that stopped a long time ago. What could be the problem, why does my truck burn so much oil??

Old 09-17-2003 | 06:34 AM
Dam thats low miles for that kind of oil loss
Mine has 12K on it and since the day I bought it,
I've NEVER had to add a drop between changes.
You need to moniter it better and see where it's going
and how fast it's going.

Of course a Ring could be bad, worn, broken, defective, etc..
But then you should be fouling a Cylinder, due to oil on a Plug.

You could have a Leak of course, pan, filter, gaskets, etc...
But you should be able to see that from where you park

It could also be a Valve guide or seal blowing it out
an exhuast port, (which would explain the smoke)
But you said the smoke stopped ???

Interested in knowing what it is, keep us informed

GOOD LUCK, hope it's something simple and easy....

Old 09-17-2003 | 08:01 AM
Re: Insane oil burning?

Originally posted by Jubelands
Today i decided to check my oil and realized that ther was nothing on the dipstick. Ended up adding 2 quartz of oil till i was able to get it onto the stick. Are our trucks supposed to be burning oil this bad. . . What could be the problem, why does my truck burn so much oil??
My '03 with 3,500 miles on it was down 1/2 quart, so I asked the same question. It turns out, in my case, that it's a common problem with these engines. The blower pressurizes the crankcase and blows oil into the intake -- the harder you drive it, the more oil it uses. Yours seems to be using alot more oil than mine, so you may have another problem as well, but search the message board for "oil separator" to find the solution for the main problem. I installed a REM oil separator, and have have not had oil in the intake (or smoking on startup) since.

Old 09-17-2003 | 08:20 AM
Yeah, that does seem like ALOT, 25,000 on mine and I have never had to add a drop between changes.
I don't drive mine very hard, but even if you beat the snot out of it ....2 quarts seems like alot to burn between changes. I know these trucks suck some oil through the intake .... but not two quarts.
Do you do any high speed road racing ? that might make it burn more oil than the average driven one?

Old 09-17-2003 | 08:38 AM
2 quarts in 2000 miles should result in a cloud of oil smoke behind you if you're burning it.

I'd look for leaks or consider the possibility that the last fill was short.

Old 09-17-2003 | 09:16 AM
I've seen that happen once in a while on trucks. Just change the oil and it may not happen again. A half court in 2k miles can be considered normal if you are pulling lots of boost. I have seen trucks use more depending on the driving style. We really suck some oil through the T/B tube. Also, 6 quarts shows up about 3/4 the way up my dipstick. So if you lose a 1/2 quart it almost doesn't register.

Old 09-17-2003 | 12:17 PM
|
Re: Re: Insane oil burning?

Originally posted by Jim03Lightning
Yours seems to be using alot more oil than mine, so you may have another problem as well, but search the message board for "oil separator" to find the solution for the main problem. I installed a REM oil separator, and have have not had oil in the intake (or smoking on startup) since.
By the way, i already have an oil separator and mine seems to fill up rather quickly. It was just about full yesterday when i emptied it, not exactly sure how recently i had emptied it but it wasnt long ago.

I am also running stock boost. i know burning aroung 1/2 a quart is normal for our engines but 2 quartz seems rather rediculous. I guess i'll have to get it checked out by the dealer before i add my new mods(6 lb pulley, chip and BR7's).

I really appreciate any info.

Old 09-17-2003 | 03:49 PM
Hay, Rob I'm Interested in your thoughts on the oil sucking problem. I think i seen in another post you said you use the oil seperator on the pass side and the pcv kit on the driver's side is this correct?

Old 09-17-2003 | 04:53 PM

Quick Reply: Insane oil burning?