Lightning

Ticking noise...could this be the solution???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003 | 11:46 AM
|
Ticking noise...could this be the solution???

I have developed a ticking noise when I put the truck in gear. It's a rather fast tick ("rattle") but not there when at an idle and in park. Ony ticking when I'm at idle and in gear.

Could it be the IAC valve? I have read some old posts that these are the symptoms when it goes bad? Should I clean it or just buy a new one?

Jim

Last edited by simmy711; 09-17-2003 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2003 | 12:11 PM
Are you sure it's not more of a pressurized air sound? Before plug launch my 2002 had a ticking type sound. Found out the hard way it was blow by, then see ya #7 plug!

Old 09-17-2003 | 01:06 PM
|
No, I changed the plugs twice in the past week. No plug problems here. I just cleaned the IAC on my lunch break and the tick is still there. I sounds like maybe it's coming from driver side engine bay? I had a loose line going into the bottom of the air intake sleeve and it had oil all over it. I plugged it back in and still the same tick is there. I'll pull the sleeve this week and clean the oil out of it. Maybe I should pull the Throttle Body too? Is there a gasket that has to be installed with the throttle body? Anyone think of anything that engages in the engine bay on the drivers side that would cause a ticking if it was going bad?

Jim

Old 09-17-2003 | 01:43 PM
Are you sure it's not just the fuel injectors, as they will make a ticking sound. Sometimes we look to hard for a problem that's not there, but it's always good to be cautious until you can verify what the sound is. It's hard for somebody on a forum to diagnose a sound for you as we aren't hearing it. Maybe you can check out somebody elses motor and see if it is making the same sound as yours. Hopefully it's just the injectors and everything is well.

Old 09-17-2003 | 01:56 PM
|
I hear the injectors with my head under the hood, but this is while I'm in the truck and I put it in gear. It's really starting to become an annoying. The truck runs like a top though, you may be right.

Jim

Quick Reply: Ticking noise...could this be the solution???