Lightning

Water Temp Gauge (best spot for mechanical temp probe)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 12:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dude, you have a sticky autometer temp gauge??? We need to talk. The trans temp gauge on the truck sticks like a mother you-know-what!! For example...Let's say it's 90 outside and the truck sits out all night and into the day without being driven so you know the trans is completely cold. Well, I get in the truck and the gauge is reading like 135 (120-240 scale) So I fire it up and start driving. Well, after 30 minutes of city driving I know the trans is warmed up but guess what...the needle hasn't moved. You can slap it, tap the glass, what ever. It doesn't move. Finally, after the trans warms up to something over 180, the needle finally unsticks and starts working. The absolute most frustrating thing in the world. I've seen days where if it's cool enough to keep the trans cool, like down around 150 or so that I've driven for hours and the gauge never budges. Bad part is, this is my third gauge with this problem and Autometer has now refused to repair or replace it anymore. This sucks. They say the've never heard of my problem and that they are "sorry it didn't work out for my application" That's BS because how do you screw up installing a 'mechanical' temp gauge to make it do this. There's nothing wrong with "my application"...Like it's the truck's fault or something. Oh well. I decided to just live with it because when it finally unsticks, it does work correctly after that and my only other option is an electrical gauge, which I did try, but didn't like the face of the electrical (and it wouldn't match my oil temp gauge) and found the temp to be about 15* off on it's readings. Anyone that says electrical gauges are just as accurate as mechanical is misinformed.

Quick Reply: Water Temp Gauge (best spot for mechanical temp probe)