Lightning

Water Temp Gauge (best spot for mechanical temp probe)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 10:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Water Temp Gauge (best spot for mechanical temp probe)

Where's the best/easiest place to install the temp probe for a mechanical water temp gauge? I have seen a couple of installations in the heater hose running from the top of the intake to the heater core and have heard that works good.

I also noticed an unused NPT port on the intake right across the front between the thermostat housing and the connection for the heater hose. Anyone used this spot? Is there another?

Old 09-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Galaxy -

I installed my sending unit in the NPT port on the intake that you mentioned.

Gauge indicates 193* when warmed up and just idling in Park, so I guess it is a fairly accurate place to use.

Old 09-25-2003, 02:07 AM
You said sending unit??? Does that mean you have an electrical gauge? I want to make sure a mechanical probe will fit there? Thanks though.

Old 09-26-2003, 01:03 AM
None of you guys are running a mechanical water temp gauge??

Old 09-26-2003, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a mechanical; I put mine in the heater hose like everybody else. I guess it is accurate; cruising down the highway it reads about 160~165; pull up at a light it creeps up to 180 when the electric fan turns on(like the sensor is supposed to do).

Old 09-26-2003, 09:22 AM
I have a mechanical gauge. Drilled and tapped into the manifold.

Old 09-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Casey02L, thanks. I'm assuming you changed your thermostat also to have those kinds of temps??

I'm not sure what the L intake looks like but the regular 5.4 has an unused port right across the front waterway of the intake. Would be absolutely perfect for a temp gauge. I can't really tell if a mechanical gauge will fit though. That's why I've been trying to find someone who's used it. B-man has but I'm assuming his was electrical since he said "sending unit". I'm sure with the right adaptors I could make it work. Thanks guys.

Old 09-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Try this...

Mechanical Water Temp Guage Post

This seems to be the preferred place although not as easy as either the thermostat housing or the heater hose. I've got a mechanical water temperature gauge and this is where mine will be going.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:35 PM
That's a VERY neat job but, I may be wrong, those pictures didn't look like a mechanical temp gauge to me. A mechanical gauge (at least an autometer) takes a 1/2 npt hole for the fitting that houses the temp probe. In the post he also mentioned the sending unit??? Mechanical gauges don't have sending units. Not that you couldn't drill a hole that size to make a mechanical gauge work if you were going to go that route. Just checking though. Definately a very cool place to install it and would definately be accurate. You want to be as close to the thermostat as possible to get the most accurate readings of the hottest water in the system. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Galaxy,

I put an Autometer Phantom mechanical water temp on mine using the npt hole on the drivers side of block near the back.

That is one option for you. Don't think it's the best but probably the easiest.

edit: Autometer carries various fittings for their gauges. Check Jegs or Summit.

Last edited by ChiDiver; 09-26-2003 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:38 PM
Galaxy,

You can order a 3/8 NPT connector from Stewart Warner. On my Cobra I ran it in the drain plug on the left bank side. Then I put a nipple in the crossover tube on the Cobra coolant fill tube.

Old 09-27-2003, 01:20 AM
Oooh, oooh, did you say Cobra??? As in AC or a mustang?? What do you have/how do you like it? (tell me that's not a dumb question..."how do you like it"...it's a cobra) I am actually planning on a FFR hopefully by the end of the year.

Old 09-27-2003, 01:31 AM
SVT Mustang Cobra................

I like it. It is slightly modded. I'm a truck guy though and need a new truck, so I'm at a stand still on track time and mods.

Old 09-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Very nice...did you happen to check out mine??

Old 09-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Nice. I just checked your album. That is a bummer about the car being stolen.

Nice truck too. I actually like it better.(Did I say that?)

I bought my car for fun and relaxation 4 years ago. Then a neighbor near the shop invited me to The Streets of Willow.
I went with a roll bar and mechanical oil and water temp gauges. A month later I lowered it. Should have come that way from the factory.

Aren't hobbies fun?

You going to build your FFR? If I ever do this again I'll start with a used car and rebuild it myself. Although there is nothing wrong with starting with a new Mustang. The money saved by buying someone elses daily driver would be great.

Anyway, back to your thread.

I ran auto meter's in the car, but found that they failed. Stickey needle on the temp gauge, and bouncing needle on the PSI. I switched to SW, and had no problems. I recently removed them as I was thinking of selling. Since I've been driving it again I'm thinking of the cluster bezzel that fits a gauge on each side of the cluster. Trying to give it the stealth appeal.

The variance between mechanical and factory is unbelievable. Cold start on the DOHC engine is 120PSI, while the factory needle stays in the middle. When warm the idle PSI is about 28, while the factory needle stays in the middle.

Same with temp. After the factory gauge warms up it stays in the middle. The mech temp gauge reads from 175* to 235* depending on circumstances during operating conditions.

If you need a 3/8 NPT adapter, let me know. I can get one and send it to you.

Mike

Quick Reply: Water Temp Gauge (best spot for mechanical temp probe)