Lightning

intake spacer causes slower ETs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003 | 03:51 PM
Re: Re: intake spacer causes slower ETs!

Originally posted by whip
Is that the cool thing to do? You are nothing but a band wagon tuner bashing groupie! Why don't you start with the route problem of your truck and figure out why your intake is burning? By the way, the "other" "good" tuners also sell spacers, did you know that? It has been proven over decades of racing hundreds of vehicle models that a spacer is a wise buy. I sugest you shut your mouth, sell your Lightning, and buy a Honda....and complain when your 2F2F titanium wing doesn't help you achieve 200 mph like in the movie!!!
Fast with class?

Old 10-10-2003 | 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor
THe plenum spacer has been proven to work on the track and on the dyno by many customers. If its you EGR valve that's bad, just disabling it is not going to make everything better. If the valve is leaking exhaust past it unplugging the vaccum line will not make a difference. The easiest thing to do is take the EGR valve off, pour some sort of thin liquid (water) in the side that mounts to the tube and see if it comes out of the other side that mounts to the manifold. If it does it mean you have carbon buildup inside and your EGR valve is stuck open. Or, you can build an EGR block off plate that goes between the EGR valve and the intake.

Hope this helps,

Justin@JDM

Old 10-10-2003 | 03:56 PM
Originally posted by soap
Yup.......the only time it is opening/closing is when your cruising down the highway.

--Joe
Exactly. So, what happens when you are cruising for 1/2 hour down the highway then this black lowered Lightning with a wing comes along side. Your intercooler temps are higher than mine and I'm going to smoke you.

Old 10-10-2003 | 04:01 PM
Originally posted by easterisland
Exactly. So, what happens when you are cruising for 1/2 hour down the highway then this black lowered Lightning with a wing comes along side. Your intercooler temps are higher than mine and I'm going to smoke you.
Thats why I had mine off too

Only I didn't have a ricer wing

--Joe

Old 10-10-2003 | 04:12 PM
Originally posted by soap

Only I didn't have a ricer wing

--Joe
Or a nitrous set up just in case...

Old 10-10-2003 | 04:36 PM
Originally posted by easterisland
Or a nitrous set up just in case...

--Joe

Old 10-10-2003 | 04:59 PM
A potential problem that can come up is with EGR, the burn rate is slower, so the timing is advanced to that peak pressure still occurs where it is supposed to. If you disable the EGR, the part throttle timing can be too far advanced and the engine knocks. This is a very common problem on some cars when people block off the EGR, or if there is an EGR problem.

And continual knock at part throttle can still damage stuff.

Old 10-10-2003 | 05:11 PM
hahahah

Gotta love the shoot first, ask questions later of some of these board members!!!!

This guy must be hanging around the infamous useless mod thread too much.

I was at JDM the day Jim dyno tested and proved the results of this spacer on Bruce's monster. I seen the dyno sheets and felt the plenum myself. He then ran it again back to back and proved it again.

Eluzion and Whip both have the spacer and I have been at the track with both of them.....it works.

This mod was designed more to keep the truck and intake temps consistant. If you are looking to pick up large gobs of hp and et, you made a mistake. But 8 hp and 12 ftlbs isn't bad for $80 bucks as far as i'm concerned!!!!

Old 10-11-2003 | 03:02 AM
If you need an EGR blockoff plate Ill make you one at my shop out of some 1/4 inch aluminum flat stock. Just email me your address and Ill send it to you free of charge....

Old 10-20-2003 | 10:44 AM
|
My EGR is functioning normally. However, I went ahead and made a block off plate on my vertical mill from 1/4" aluminum plate and went back to the track. Just as I expected, with the plate installed the truck ran a consistent 5 hundredths slower, and again with it removed it picked it right back up. I stand by my original statement, don't waste your $100 on this useless overhyped thing.

Old 10-20-2003 | 11:35 AM
Originally posted by AustinLightning
Just as I expected, with the plate installed the truck ran a consistent 5 hundredths slower
5 hundredths I'm sure all of the conditions were identical for each pass, the Temp and humidity were exactly the same, the track temp was within 0.00001 deg, and traction and 60' times were also identical.

I don't have one of these spacers, but I've used them in the past on other cars and they have worked for me.

Old 10-20-2003 | 12:00 PM
What was the mph on the back to back runs? ET doesn't really show how much power you're making, but mph is extremely accurate.

Quick Reply: intake spacer causes slower ETs!