Lightning

Help the new guy

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003 | 11:09 AM
|
Question Help the new guy

I've had my "L" for almost 3 years. I have mostly worked on aesthetics...new hood, rims, interior work. I was never a motor head but since reading about all those 11's and 10's on the track I'm hooked. When it comes to paint and body mods I've been doing it since I was a kid, but show me anything mechanical and I run screaming like a little girl. I'm running a stock 2000 "L" and need a place to start i.e. pulley, chip, ram air, 4:10 rear end, too much out there were do I start. I don't want my wife to divorce me over my truck so I rather not jump in and drop 1000's of bucks.

Please help the engine novice...Thanks

Old 10-10-2003 | 11:28 AM
Do the Air box mod! Drill several holes on the bottom of you air filter box, Good for 0.5 to 1 PSI increase. I cut the whole bottom out, and sometimes I see 2.0 PSI. However now I making a cold air scoop. This mod is FREE!!! Good place to start.

Old 10-10-2003 | 11:39 AM
Another free mod! Port and polish you’re plenum. A weekend project, very easy to do. You will however need a pneumatic grinder.

I started with a dermal tool, it can be done. However the Grinder cuts the job in third the time. The only special tool you need is a 9” to 12” tip extension.

Takes no brains to do, when you start, the surface looks dull and bumpy, you can feel it with the tip of you’re fingers, then you grind, (using different grades) slip the hand in there, grind some more, when it feels as smooth as a babies A$$. You are done!!!!

Good project to do over the holidays.. Sit in front of the garage, drink beer, and watch the world go by!!! Oh, It is also free!! Also, you can work on the throttle body.. I do not know how much improvement it will materialize, however it can’t hurt, Free… Free!!

Old 10-10-2003 | 11:42 AM
So how about $500 bucks, will that keep her happy?

JLP Ram Air kit

JLP 4 lb lower pulley

Diablo chip

Night and day difference from stock and this should keep you happy, too!

Good Luck!

D-Day

Old 10-10-2003 | 11:52 AM
Well now that you have some experience, and ready to spend some money.. One of the best mods to start with (this one is a must!!) It will however cost about $15.00, and In my opinion it’s one of the best…. The OIL separator Mod!! Home Depot air filter. There is a lot of how to in this forum.

The way I did it was cut the hose, place pneumatic push on fittings on both sides of the filter, push the hose on to the fittings, and that is it! If it takes you longer than 4 minutes you did it wrong. Oh yea do this before the plenum mod!!

Ok that should get you going… Have FUN!!!

Old 10-10-2003 | 01:47 PM
Don't do the gears unless you are going to go heavy track mode. Once you get the power up, you won't need the gears. There's no traction on the street as is and I still have the 3.55's

BD

Quick Reply: Help the new guy