Lightning

Crank pulley support bracket/cage???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003 | 02:50 PM
|
Crank pulley support bracket/cage???

Hey everyone!!!

I was curious if you guys are running the crank pulleys without the support bracket? I noticed that the model I installed came without the bracket and it made me worry about the long term effects on the bearings etc. What do you guys think? Is there enough pressure on the crank pulley to worry? Thanks!

Last edited by engelmb; 10-10-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2003 | 02:57 PM
Many will disagree, but I believe the cage will help extend the life of the main bearings. Why do you think Ford designed it that way? That's why I will never run a cheap cageless pulley. Just my .02

Old 10-10-2003 | 03:25 PM
does anyone have a pic comparing the difference of the two(cageless vs caged)???

Old 10-10-2003 | 03:44 PM
Here is a pic of a cheap cageless pulley.

I used to have an expensive caged pulley setup on my truck. I had to remove it once and it got tore up. Lucky the vendor supplied me with a new center hub piece or I would have been SOL. BTW, it was the new design not the old one. Yes I did use anti seize.
Don't use crack and don't use an aftermarket caged pulley system.

close up of caged pulley system w/o pulley

Last edited by easterisland; 10-10-2003 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-10-2003 | 04:04 PM
First attempt at removal

Second attempt at removal

Finally got it off

My engine was on the stand when I did this. I could only imagine if it was still in the truck.
What happens when your accessory belt breaks? I'm guessing you have to have it towed to a dealer and let them have their way with it for a few hours. When they finally decide to cut the damn thing off are you going to wait a week for them to order a stock one or will you carry a spare with you? I would recommend a spare. Since it isn't the cheap way to go you'll be happy. I recommend maybe getting a boost bypass kit while you are spending money, I hear they only cost around $20 now.

Old 10-10-2003 | 04:27 PM
Mine is cageless and it makes for things a lot simpler. Not sure if you yourself removed the stock pulley. If you did, you know how it can be a pain. Do you want to go through that again?

Old 10-10-2003 | 05:53 PM
easterisland
You must have been removing it wrong! At least thats what they told me when mine came of in pieces .

Old 10-10-2003 | 06:00 PM
I haven't heard of any bad experiences lately, so either JDM changed the design, the only people that buy them have JDM do all the work on their trucks, or everyone is buying the cageless pullies and their bearings are failing right and left.

Old 10-10-2003 | 06:01 PM
For anyone who is interested, I have an item for sale that works great with the boost bypass kit offered by many on ebay and the internet. It is a high volume blinker pump. Moves the fluid at a much higher rate, reducing drain on the battery, and thus making less drag on the alternator. I also have a fuel molecule aligner for sale.

Old 10-10-2003 | 09:57 PM
I've run 2 cageless pulleys on my 01 since it was new - no problems. There must be hundreds of Lightnings out there running cageless - and I've nevr heard of any short term or long term problems. Maybe it's too soon to tell though - but considering how much easier it is to changr pulleys with cageless compared to caged - doesnt appear to be any advantage to the caged one. Let alone what happens if your "inner" serpentine belt (alternator, water pump, etc)breaks with the cages on.

Old 10-10-2003 | 10:20 PM
The 03 Cobras come cageless from factory.

Old 10-11-2003 | 12:33 AM
are you sure? Honestly I haven't looked at the lower pully on the cobra but in the shop manual it shows a support?

Was hoping it didn't have one as I too am concerned about going with a cageless or not.

BTW does anyone know where to buy one from in Canada and/or which vendors ship to Canada? (either type, prefere interchangable 2/4#)

Thanks

Old 10-11-2003 | 12:44 AM
Originally posted by 01Lightning
Many will disagree, but I believe the cage will help extend the life of the main bearings. Why do you think Ford designed it that way? That's why I will never run a cheap cageless pulley. Just my .02
I prefer the cageless that I can take off easily to even the stock
one that some have had problems with. The part was prolly
OVERENGINEERED, just like the PCV valves that flow both ways.

There is always a reason for everything, you know ....

Old 10-11-2003 | 12:47 AM
Originally posted by retics4me
easterisland
You must have been removing it wrong! At least thats what
they told me when mine came of in pieces .
LOL ... It must be the customer's fault, right?

Old 10-11-2003 | 12:48 AM
I just put the new Metco Interchangeable on and it is
very well made piece. The 4# is slightly larger than
either of my former 4#'ers and the 6# is AWESOME !!!

10 minutes to change it .... 6 allen hex's ...

Quick Reply: Crank pulley support bracket/cage???