Lightning

Different Boost Bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003 | 03:22 PM
|
Different Boost Bypass?

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/boost%20bypass.htm

is that the same as tieing into the boost bypass valve like i have it?

they are claiming 3 more lbs of boost at wot

Old 10-10-2003 | 03:43 PM
|
BOYS!!!!!! 20 views and not a clue! were talkin and extra 3lbs for free...im just not smart enough to know if it the same as what ive seen posted here.

Old 10-10-2003 | 04:19 PM
I think all they are trying to say is that boost may be decreased under high boost situations. I know of no one on these boards who has claimed they got 3 psi from that mod. It will prevent boost dump. To prevent boost dump unplug the solenoid. That is cheap and just as effective. I don't even have the stupid little solenoid on my daily driven 20K miles since this April Lightning...

Old 10-10-2003 | 04:35 PM
|
hey bro, i know what it does and ive had mine on for 2 years, homemade from this site....its just that the link i posted had it done a different way and was i wondering if it was functionally the same....the 3 free lbs of boost was an attempt to generate intrest in the thread, hehe.

thx for replying though

Last edited by dtdionne; 10-10-2003 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2003 | 05:15 PM
|
well i just went ahead and changed mine to match theirs and i really think it made a difference...

id like to see a mod or tech with knowledge on the vacume/boost system explain the difference between the two approaches in bypass the boost bypass.

Old 10-10-2003 | 07:19 PM
Unhappy

OK, explain this boost bypass thing to me since my Lightning is new and I'm still learning about it. Is there a problem with a lot of stock or mostly stock Lightnings, with the boost exceeding factory limits during "spirited" street driving, causing it to dump boost and loss of performance until the motor is shut down and re-started????? I mean is this a common occurance. If not - then our stock trucks must not be exceeding the factory limits on hard street acceleration and defeating this bypass feature isn't going to do a bit of good for everyday performance - right?? How are we going to gain 3# of added boost with a bypass when our trucks aren't geared (pullyed) to get there anyway? What am I missing here??

Old 10-10-2003 | 07:55 PM
|
yo, bro...read that link in my initial post, it totally explains the boost bypass selinoid(sp) and its function...

as far as overboosted from the factory...never heard of it.
shutting boost of till the engine is rebooted....NEVER heard of that either

Old 10-10-2003 | 08:05 PM
SVTARKANSAS: The only time you might see a loss of boost is when doing a burn-out. The PCM 'sees' the brake applied and yet the eng. is revving--producing boost when it shouldn't, so the PCM dumps boost.

Dan

Old 10-11-2003 | 07:44 AM
The RPM site says, "The purpose of a boost bypass kit is to supply continuous boost from your supercharger when exceeding acceleration limits set by the factory. When acceleration exceeds factory limits, the boost actuator solenoid actuates the boost dump valve, relieving the superchargers pressure until the truck is shut down and restarted."

If this only happens under torque braking (dump valve activates and engine has to be restarted to reset) and not hard street acceleration then this all makes a little more sense. So the short story on all of this is that our superchargers are capable of delivering up to 3# more boost than the factory calibrations will allow and by simply defeating the boost bypass we can gain the additional performance at WOT of the additional boost?

Quick Reply: Different Boost Bypass?