Lightning

Go fast packages.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003 | 08:19 PM
|
Go fast packages.

I have in mind a nice go-fast package from RPM. I am looking at option "E". here is the link. Comments are welcome. I want to know if these are all stand up products. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2003 | 08:37 PM
I just looked at your profile and see you have a 2003, so I wouldn't go with that package. Fisrst off you don't need a C&L 95 mm Mass air. Also I am not a big fan or the iridium plugs.

I don't know a bunch about RPM outlet, but what I heard wasn't to good.

I would talk to
JDM
JLP
PSP
or REM

These guys deal with Lightnings all day and know the trucks much better than RPM outlet.

I would recomend a
chip
filter
6# lower pulley
New belt
NGK TR6 plugs
thermostat

with the money you save on the throttle body, inlet pipe, and mass air, get a electric fan and cobra water pump.

Old 10-14-2003 | 08:41 PM
I agree with Don. Ditto to that one!

-Mike

Old 10-14-2003 | 08:43 PM
I would be leery of trusting people other than the big dawgs to tune my chip, however the Option D looked like a halfway decent value, and theres not really a whole lot of room to go wrong with those parts. Just my .02....

Old 10-14-2003 | 08:45 PM
Originally posted by mecca
I agree with Don. Ditto to that one!

-Mike
Yup! Except BR7 plugs would be better with the 6# pulley. I think Sal recommends them for anything over a 4# pulley.

Old 10-14-2003 | 08:46 PM
|
So the single blade tb is not a good go? Are the stock tb on a 2003 higher flow? I have been terrified so to speak about chipping the truck. I have heard aftermarket chips will leave a lockout code in the computer, and the dealer will void the warrantee. I have also heard about people having to thoroughly clean the prongs of the chip to get it to work. If I go with a chip, do I need a flip chip or a single program chip? I wanna run fast all the time, not just occasionally, so I was thinking that a flip chip would be more of a bother than a good thing. Also, IF I decide to get the chip, pulley, and plugs, what cold air set-up is actually a good deal? I know these are alot of questions, but I wanna get my ducks in a row before I start knocking them down.

Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2003 | 08:56 PM
The throttle bodies do help, but as far as bang fot the buck, they give you the least HP for the money. The throttle body would be one of the last mods I would do.

How are the winters where you live, how cold does it get and do you drive it when it is real cold out??

When it gets cold out the air in denser, which makes the truck leaner. Also the computer adds timing when it is cold. These can be a dangerous combo in real cold air. What you might want in a chip, is a aggressive street chip and a cold weather(winter program) that takes timing out, and richens the fuel mixture when it is real cold out.

I would get a flip chip, it just gives you more options.

All the big three, four use the same basic S&B filter so they are all about the same.

Old 10-14-2003 | 10:05 PM
|
I am in Oklahoma so the winters aren't too bad. Usually above 0 all winter. So a programmer could essentially burn me a summer tune and a winter tune instead of a race tune and a street tune?

Old 10-14-2003 | 11:14 PM
dont forget the factory tech valve body, one of my favorite mods so far!!

Old 10-15-2003 | 07:14 AM
|
Yeah I am definately gonna get one of those.

Old 10-15-2003 | 08:59 AM
does the valve body make that much difference....i just added the line mod valve.....wish i had know BEFORE I had the stock trans pan dumping 15L of trans fluid all over my driveway!!! I could have changed them all at once.....

Old 10-15-2003 | 09:20 AM
Originally posted by LightningCT
does the valve body make that much difference....
YES.

Old 10-15-2003 | 10:20 AM
Banned
Grimace,

You should check out our stage packages on our website. www.TeamJDM.com

Thanks,

Justin@JDM

Old 10-15-2003 | 10:46 AM
Don gave the best advice (see sig). Although, I didn't get the advice before hand. It's mean at the strip and totally streetable as mine is a mainly a commuter mule Do the tranny stuff as well.

BD

Old 10-15-2003 | 11:09 AM
Maybe some of the LFP reflash crowd will speak up also. It would be nice to hear how this is working out over time. If they do well this winter, I'd consider it...

If you go the chip route, I would definitely get the flip chip. The fact that the temp can drop below freezing is enough to make me want a cold weather program.

You could also wait on the Predator to arrive which offers a lot more flexibility and warranty protection, but you may grow old and die before it actually ships.

I don't recommend going over the 4# pulley, but that's me. Too risky and too much inefficiency in the Eaton..

Check out the cold air filter kits from JLP and PSP.

My $0.02.

--Rip

Quick Reply: Go fast packages.