Lightning

PCV and oil ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003 | 02:50 AM
The crankcase will still be vented by the new pcv valve. The new valve is a one way (like every other pcv, except Lightnings) and still vents into the intake. Danny's kit pcv valve stops boost from going into the passenger side pcv and pressurizing the crankcase which forces oil out through the drivers side valve cover into the intake boot. The disk blocks the boost from bleeding off and still allows the crankcase to vent into the lower intake. Our oil problem is caused by boost pressure entering the crankcase, not from vacuum sucking the oil out. This works great on both stock and modded Lightnings. Skip

Old 10-18-2003 | 12:08 PM
Originally posted by NoSuprise
RED 92,

Both heads are vented equally to the crankcase. How do think the oil gets back down to the pan? So a vacuum on the driver side via the crankcase puts a vacuum on the passenger side.

NoSurprise
Oil gets back down to the pan via oil passages ways. Vacuum is not created by the crankcase.

I could not make sense of the rest of your post......anyway the crankcase vents INTO our plenum on the pass. side and INTO the intake boot on the drivers side...............now when you "plug" the pass. side vent with your "dime size" plug where is the fact. design ventalation taking place???

And yes vacuum helps pulls fumes, oil, contaminates, etc. out of the crankcase to be burned in the cylinders for emisions. It might be magnified by boost at WOT, I dont know ....it still needs to vent

?? has anyone tried to vent both sides into the intake boot in front of the trottle body and "pluging" the plenum?

Oil is getting into the intake system where crankcae ventalation is routed to be burned and it seems like the only way to keep it out is to "plug" or use a separator.

Last edited by RED 92; 10-18-2003 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2003 | 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Skip
The crankcase will still be vented by the new pcv valve. The new valve is a one way (like every other pcv, except Lightnings) and still vents into the intake. Danny's kit pcv valve stops boost from going into the passenger side pcv and pressurizing the crankcase which forces oil out through the drivers side valve cover into the intake boot. The disk blocks the boost from bleeding off and still allows the crankcase to vent into the lower intake. Our oil problem is caused by boost pressure entering the crankcase, not from vacuum sucking the oil out. This works great on both stock and modded Lightnings. Skip
Skip, so your answer to the question "where does the crankcase vent when you plug the line going to the back of the plenum" is the lower intake line behind the engine? and the drivers side at the boot?

You say it stops boost from going into the passenger side pcv and pressurizing the crankcase which forces oil out through the drivers side valve cover into the intake boot. Well my problem with oil is not the at the drivers side in the intake boot. Its at the plenum which you say is not sucking(vacuum) but blowing (boost) then why would we have a oil problem at the plenum?

I read the Lightning / Harley PCV VALVE KIT explination and it does not address oil entering at the plenum.

Skip?

Last edited by RED 92; 10-18-2003 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2003 | 03:27 PM
Red 92

Most of my oil was from the driver side tube running from the valve cover to the rubber intake boot. You are correct that the vacuum at the upper intake is even greater under boost. Yes I am sure that oil could or would be sucked into the upper intake from the passenger side valve cover. I have had my Swanson kit on so long that I kind of forgot about that. The disk in Danny's kit will stop all oil from entering the upper intake via the passenger side valve cover. The new pcv valve will stop boost from entering the crankcase, because it is a true one way pcv like almost every other car on the planet has. The bonus to this deal is the disk stops boost from being bled off resulting in a few extra hp. I have had mine on for almost a year and when we removed the blower to change the gasket ,the intercooler looked like new. I suppose that you could still get a very small amount of oil into the lower intake (under the intercooler) but it would not be enough to worry about since there is no longer any positive crankcase pressure (from the blower)pushing it out. A few people that have had detonation problems (due to oil) said that the problem went away after the kit. Look at your stock pcv, it is not even a valve, just a restrictor. This kit flat works! Skip

Old 10-18-2003 | 05:53 PM
RED 92,

Sorry I'm not a technical writer.

This all is factual: There is a hose that plugs into the back side of the intake manifold (under the intercooler). Remember there is vacuum present (at idle) and boost pressure (at WOT) in the intake manifold. The other end of this hose plugs into the upper plenum on top of the supercharger (only vacuum here). This hose creates an endless loop between the bottom of the supercharger and the top of the supercharger at WOT. Knowing this, most people would agree thats a bad condition. I like all of my boost pressure to go into the cylinders!

The blocking disk closes the connection at the upper plenum.

But wait, didn't I say this hose also "T's off" and plugs into the passenger side PCV???? Again sorry, if you missed that important bit of information in my other post. So by design the stock PCV can see either vacuum, at idle, or boost pressure at WOT.

!!!!!!HELLO,THE STOCK PCV IS NOT A ONE WAY VALVE!!!!!!!!!

The stock one is almost free flowing in BOTH directions.

Knowing this, most people would want the PCV to restrict any boost pressure from entering the passenger side cam cover and putting 8-30#s (I have a KB) of boost pressure into the crankcase. But still allow vacuum to vent any ring blowby. Remember the crankcase is a closed system and vacuum on one side will cause a vacuum on the other side. Samething with boost pressure.

The 03 Corbra PCV isn't perfect but it's a better choice over the stock one.

Inclussion, you change the PCV but you don't block off the PCV to the intake manifold, only the connection at the upper plenum.

NoSurprise

Last edited by NoSuprise; 10-18-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2003 | 12:48 AM
Originally posted by NoSuprise
RED 92,

!!!!!!HELLO,THE STOCK PCV IS NOT A ONE WAY VALVE!!!!!!!!!

The stock one is almost free flowing in BOTH directions.

NoSurprise

Right ?? you sound Surprised?? you could have discovered this by reading my first post in this thread.

P.S. its not almost free flowing ...it is equally free flowing

thanks

Old 10-19-2003 | 01:36 AM
No Suprise

That is what the Swanson kit does. Blocks off the upper and puts the correct pcv to vent the crankcase. Skip

Old 10-19-2003 | 11:59 PM
|
Thanks guys i will try the one i ordered and if it does not work ,i will try this one

Quick Reply: PCV and oil ??????