Lightning

PCV and oil ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003 | 09:24 PM
|
PCV and oil ??????

I put the pcv kit on the left side and so far no oil is in the TB .My ???? is can you do the same thing to the other side ,why do have to put a oil seperator on ,why not the one-way pcv valve

Old 10-17-2003 | 02:23 AM
If it is a Swanson kit ,it goes on the passenger side. Skip

Old 10-17-2003 | 10:07 AM
Quote: why do have to put a oil seperator on ,why not the one-way pcv valve I am adding a few more questions you will ask....

There are many threads on this subject, but it should be revisited..... "up to date"... I have an 03 cobra pcv on the pass. side and a separator on the pass. side., and "no" plug at the plenum(intake). I dont have any oil in my intake but I get a little oil in the separator and have to clean it every couple of weeks. Diferrent thing seem to work for different trucks???

Our engine has closed metered air crankcase ventalation system aided by vacuum (PCV).

It is common for our engines to ingest oil into the plenum, "stock or modded" and some ingest oil into the throttle body from the PCV on the drivers side, stock or modded.

Swanson kit plugs passenger side line that goes to the plenum preventing oil from entering, it also replaces the pass. side PCV with what I'm not sure. I have a question for those who use the Swanson kit? Where does the pass. side crankcase ventalation go when you plug the line going to the back of the plenum? The tee goes to the bottom of the intake manifold behind the engine ...where exactly is that going ??? below the intake??. I would like to plug the line going into the plenum but I'm concerned about , codes, disturbing a closed PCV system, possible slug build up and changing the factory design., .I thought I might take the line off the back of the plenum and tee it into the drivers side so it still vents, and capping the off the plenum. thoughts on this?

There is another kit that some use http://lightning-enterprise.com/pcv.html.

Last edited by RED 92; 10-28-2003 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2003 | 03:10 PM
|
Thats the kit i put on the left side and there's no oil so far .It lookslike you could put it on the right side too and whats the deal with the swanson kit

Old 10-17-2003 | 05:26 PM
We got over a thousand views on another site with questions concerning these same subject. Hang on, here goes.

The Kit contains only two parts. 1) A replacement PCV ( from a 03 Corbra). 2) A small "dime size blocking disk.

Install: Replace the BOTHWAY stock PCV on the passenger side with a more effective ONEWAY PCV. This will keep boost out of the crankcase at WOT, allowing normal ring blowby to recirculate from the driver side cover and up into the rubber intake boot. The blocking disk goes inside the insulated hose that pluges into the upper plenum behind the idle air bleed motor. Unplug, shove in the disk, plug back in. What this disk does is to close off an open loop between the intake galley (under the intercooler) and the upper intake plenum. I'm not a Tech writer but thats it.

Oh, toss the breather cap and put your stock oil cap back on too.

The "can type" oil seperaters are normally spliced into this insulated hose, so its not needed either.

The benifits are twofold: Increased boost and no oil in the upper plenum. Remenber this was a vender's engineering idea! If you want to give him credit, buy his product.

NoSurprise

Last edited by NoSuprise; 10-17-2003 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2003 | 06:48 PM
|
I just ordered a kit like i got for the right side will it do the same thing ,if not i will send it back Thanks

Old 10-17-2003 | 08:22 PM
Swanson kit

The hose T's to the upper intake and the lower intake under the blower and the intercooler. The one way pcv valve stops the crankcase from being pressurized and pushing the oil into the intake. It works! Skip

Old 10-17-2003 | 08:29 PM
"I thought I might take the line off the back of the plenum"

Sal did this and found it created problems. I forget just what they were but I wouldn't do it.

Dan

Old 10-17-2003 | 08:45 PM
I disconnected the PCV system altogether, and capped off the line from the lower intake to the upper plenum on the passenger side. I also have breathers in both valve covers to vent any pressure buildup.

There is absolutley NO way any oil can get into the intake system that way.

I know what a PCV system is for...... but with todays high detergent synthetic oils, and frequent oil changes.... I don't think the PCV system is as nessessary as most people think

Now if your running dino oil, change oil infrequently, use truck for short trips and never get it up to full operating temp...... then you probably DO need the PCV system operational.

Old 10-17-2003 | 08:51 PM
Originally posted by rodcobra
Thats the kit i put on the left side and there's no oil so far .It lookslike you could put it on the right side too and whats the deal with the swanson kit
This is the kit I went with. It takes care of both sides. I've had it installed for 2 months now with no problems. It works great.

Old 10-17-2003 | 09:08 PM
Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
"I thought I might take the line off the back of the plenum"

Sal did this and found it created problems. I forget just what they were but I wouldn't do it.

Dan
Yes.... that is why I asked these questions. NoSuprise, Skip i understand how the Swansons kit is installed and it makes perfect sense if you plug the line that goes to the plenum with a dime size disk no oil will enter....

So, where is your crank vetilation taking place on the pass. side.??? when you plug it with the swanson kit... Skip??

LIGHTNINROD... you forgot the rest of the quote.., and I mentioned some possible problems...plus I think Sal was experimenting with pluging the line that went into the back of engine. I thought I might take the line off the back of the plenum and tee it into the drivers side so it still vents, and capping the off the plenum. ..............this gives the crankcase a path for ventilation and prevents oil in the plenum..... the same as the swanson kit only this way the pass. side has somewhere to go. Sal..?

Last edited by RED 92; 10-17-2003 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2003 | 09:34 PM
As Lightinrod mentioned, way back when, Sal in discussing the "oil in the intake" problem, noted that when he tore down an engine and noted that line going down to the intake, he blocked it off. When he fired the engine up, he noted that when it was blocked, it caused some "wierd deceleration issues with blower pressure" - and he hooked it back up. Everything ok after that. This was well over a year ago, and he may have revisited since then.

Old 10-17-2003 | 09:50 PM
As an afterthought - they have been hundreds of post and replies to posts on this subject - many by what I think are very knowledgable people on PCV systems, and even some science on air pressure theory and molecular motion in explaining what is happens in PCV systems, their intent, and what takes place in the Lightning system in an attempt to satifactorily resolve the problem of "oil in the intake". Some really well thought out information. explanations, advice and solutions to this problem have been posted by many knowledgable people in here. It would be interesting to hear a response from the Ford Design team, that created this particular approach to this PCV system, as to the "specifics" of this PCV design, and why they chose to do it this way.

Old 10-17-2003 | 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Robert Francis
As Lightinrod mentioned, way back when, Sal in discussing the "oil in the intake" problem, noted that when he tore down an engine and noted that line going down to the intake, he blocked it off. When he fired the engine up, he noted that when it was blocked, it caused some "wierd deceleration issues with blower pressure" - and he hooked it back up. Everything ok after that. This was well over a year ago, and he may have revisited since then.

Ya, I read that thread Sal posted. , I'm not talking about capping of the line that goes to the bottom of the intake behind the engine.......Quote: I thought I might take the line off the back of the plenum and tee it into the drivers side so it still vents, and capping the off the plenum. thoughts on this?

Old 10-17-2003 | 11:49 PM
RED 92,

Both heads are vented equally to the crankcase. How do think the oil gets back down to the pan? So a vacuum on the driver side via the crankcase puts a vacuum on the passenger side. But the new PCV prevent any boost pressure in the passenger side cam cover, so nothing needs to be vacuumed from this area. Remember the PCV is for ring blowby only. If boost gets in the crankcase it overwhelms the vacuum and expells oil mist out the driver side cam cover up the hose to the rubber intake boot (there is a "T" here too), and up to the idle air bleed motor on the upper plenum.

IMHO, the stock system allows vacuum from under the intercooler to PULL some oil mist through the PCV on the pass. side into the upper intake manifold galley. Its the boost that pushes the pooled oil(only a few drops) back towards the PCV but gets deverted by vacuum up the "T" into the upper plenum. The dime size disk close this path. So even after the "kit " is installed I believe we still are getting oil in the intake manifold under the intercooler. We just can't see it.

NoSurprise

Quick Reply: PCV and oil ??????