Lightning

Bent Rim, safe to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003 | 03:15 AM
|
Unhappy Bent Rim, safe to use?

I got a flat the other day on the front drivers side. At the time it popped I was on an offramp so I couldnt exactly stop. My friends shop was only about 1000ft from where it popped so I drove it there. Well I ordered a tire from tirerack yesterday (BTW price went up about 10 since a few weeks ago) and got it today. I went to go have it put on the rim tonight and the guy said he couldnt get it balanced which means the rim is bent. Now visually, you cant actually see the rim bent. Its very minor but enough to be unbalanced. I know that this could cause some vibration and possibly more tire wear but besides that is there anything else? Im going to switch it to the rear as instructed by the tire shop.

Old 10-22-2003 | 03:30 AM
with enough weight you can balance it.

going over 4oz's is pushing it, but it can be done

Old 10-22-2003 | 04:34 AM
You say you can't see the rim is bent, then are you sure it's really bent ?

Did the tire guy try breaking the bead and spinning the tire 180 degrees in relationship to the rim and then try to rebalance?

Sometimes by pure chance the heaviest part of the tire gets put on right in line with the heaviest part of the rim..... making it difficult to balance.

Old 10-22-2003 | 05:57 AM
If its a minor bend, the balance of your rim and tire shouldnt be that far off...

Old 10-22-2003 | 06:56 AM
you can have it shipped off and fixed and when they fix it you cant even tell it was bent or fixed, but depending on the damage it might be cheaper to buy a new rim.

Quick Reply: Bent Rim, safe to use?